Heaton Lodge Junction

Not that I'm suggesting that you change horses halfway through for a minute - but for interests sake alone - the new Modelling Centre at Pickering (when it opens) will be stocking the range of Polak grass, which was a favourite of mine (being matt), which is good news....

Brilliant , I will also be following your endeavours with interest, and there's me thinking I had a huge task ahead of me.

Keep up the good work,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Having another look at this masterpiece!

On the stonework underneath the bridge...how did you get that effect of it being wet with rain water? If you dont mind me asking?

Fantastic work!

Cheers

Ben

What a lovely looking layout so far, I can only hope to see it one day in the flesh, 160 foot ( 180 with curves ) I dont think I have seen a layout as long as that before, it will be an awesome sight.

truly amazing, and with blue diesels too, KERCHING 

Giles- yes I've heard much about the Polak range but never been able to get my hands on any of their stuff. I'll be over to Pickering when it opens

Ben, the wet effect on stonework came about by accident when I spilt superglue down part of the wall. I realised next day it dries with a wet effect so then coated all the corners and inside the bridge with half a bottle of the stuff!

Add AK interactive slimy green or model mates moss green and the effect is complete.

Looks great on retaining walls and platform sides too..

• Like 1

While I'm on here and not in the garage for a change I had a few people ask about laying realistic concrete trunking complete with exposed cables.

As Allan will say there is no substitute for laying individual roof tiles to achieve that superb realistic effect, concrete trunking is often neglected and gives a model a real boost if a bit of time is taken laying it.

BR used concrete sections 3ft long although it varied being up to 5ft occasionally. It was about a foot wide and concealed varying amounts of cable. After a few years some of the concrete lids invariably broke leaving the cabling exposed which then filled with dead leaves.

To mimic the shape of the trunking I found Evergreen styrene channel best for this. In 7mm scale there is one that is a scale 7.2mm wide - perfect. In 4mm you will need something about half that width obviously.

I start by cutting the channel into roughly 2cm lengths. Once I've a tub full I'll spray them with good old Halfords primer before using Precision paints weathered concrete on them to finish..

Immediately after painting I sprinkle on talc to give that rough effect concrete has.

I'll then simply superglue direct to the board maybe 5 or 6 lengths to the board before turning say the next two upside down. Into this I'll 'lay' 3 lengths of standard layout wire - 2 black and 1 red in the middle.

Continue again with the channel normal way around for another 7/8 sections before repeating the above process again supergluing the 3 lengths of cable inside.

I also buy Evergreen styrene plain lengths also 7.2mm wide and using the same painting process superglue 2cm lengths on top of the exposed cable at all sorts of weird angles. Some I break in two and glue in the two halfs.

Don't worry about your length of trunking being straight either. I soon gave up using a long metal ruler when on studying more pics of the location the concrete trunking was all over the place!

It takes me about 90 mins to do 4ft of trunking including exposed cables and broken lids.

Here's some pics..

post-25007-0-78032500-1462072191.jpeg

post-25007-0-16890500-1462072216.jpeg

post-25007-0-51130600-1462072232.jpeg

post-25007-0-82262900-1462072245.jpeg

• Like 9

Forgot the last touch.. Brush dark grey or black weathering powder on the top of the concrete to tone it down.

Finally re. The first pic. I experimented with trying to speed up this procedure (given I've almost 500ft to lay of concrete trunking-yes I've had to buy a lorry load of evergreen channel 7.2mm) by laying 3 wires the full length of the board ie 4ft first. Then covering the 'cables' with the painted trunking.

This has the advantage of simply missing out sections knowing the cabling is already there and just like the prototype there is in fact cables under all the trunking not just in sections for show!

As it turns out once I'd mucked about getting the 3 cables arrow straight over 4ft I might as well have stuck with the first method.

Oh well. Seemed a good idea at the time.

• Like 1

Simon, re concrete trunking.

Instead of cutting up and painting/weathering each length individually, why not paint and weather a whole strip first then cut it up ?

Another way I gave thought to was cutting  slots across the top of an entire length with a razor saw and about half way down each side then lay it as one length. I say half way down each side as the groundwork - loose ballast, leaves etc - would hide the uncut part. Where broken sections are required then just snap off a length of pre grooved trunking, insert a broken piece and carry on. or, better still, take not the slightest bit of notice and just carry on the way you are !

Cheers.

Allan.

I did try painting the whole length then cutting it up but by the time I'd touched in the ends where the cut had exposed the unpainted part I thought might as well go back to plan A!

It's like you with roof tiles too, unless you lay them individually I don't think it's possible to get that random realistic effect.

Like I said I'll be at the Docs next week for the OCD treatment

Class 66, there isn't any backscene on it yet - the few completed boards happen to be sat next to a light coloured wall and one of the photos has had a background photoshopped in.

Paul Bambrick of Bambrick studios will be doing a 3D type backscene. Fortunately the landscape of the prototype is rolling countryside and hasn't changed at all in 30 years.

Thanks, Simon

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 1

This is a tad epic! Looking forward to seeing some stock and locos when it comes on stream. It's very rare to see a 7mm layout that can do justice to full length rakes. And my favourite era too!

Edited by blueeighties

And they won't be straight out of the box either - super detailing, audible and visual effects, and some serious weathering coming up ! and as for the length of those coal trains - well....you'll need binoculars to see the break van ! 

Sorry Simon, just had to leap in with that one !

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1

Hi saw the write up in BRM and read about it online, you have done a great job capturing the eastern region permanent way which is often neglected in detail. By that I mean relics left over from the LNER and modern additions like you have shown with the concrete cable trunking! You have inspired me! A permanent way hut would look good too. Congratulations.

• Like 1

Hi saw the write up in BRM and read about it online, you have done a great job capturing the eastern region permanent way which is often neglected in detail. By that I mean relics left over from the LNER and modern additions like you have shown with the concrete cable trunking! You have inspired me! A permanent way hut would look good too. Congratulations.

Outstanding modelling and attention to detail. I plan to set my Scale 7 Hull and Barnsley themed layout in the winter months, so will be following closely how you achieve the winter effect.

Davey

Delticfan, there will be 3 permanent way huts on HL, all ex LNER the first is about 30ft from where we are up to now. There's even one which dates from pre grouping at the junction itself.

Thanks for the positive comments..

Davey, the problem is with a British winter as I call it is there is very very little on the market scenery wise to make life easier. That said I've found some great ways to replicate dead leaves, frost and winter brambles all common on railway cutting and embankments.

Edited by HeatonLodge40

Welcome back Simon and hope you had a good weekend and while you were probably barreling around Silverstone in that Lambo I was looking at Duvet covers in Matalan with the missus and came back with a light bulb !

Life in the slow lane huh....

Tell you what I've been doing Allan.

Fingers covered with superglue, stabbed myself repeatedly with piano wire making yarrow stems, and I'm covered with plaster eating cornflakes for tea. I've nothing in the fridge but fortunately no female shouting 'when are you coming out of that garage you might as well put a bed in there'.

Anyway. Here's some pics of 47421 later named 'The Brontes of Haworth' posing on the newly completed board. 47421 was for many years in the '80's a regular at Heaton Lodge. I spotted it many times in fact I remember the driver shaking his fist at me for sitting on the concrete troughs too near the track.

(Sorry if he's reading this)

post-25007-0-67923600-1462222421_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-91423000-1462222437.png

post-25007-0-86822700-1462222454.jpeg

• Like 11