Heaton Lodge Junction

Thank you for the compliments.

Realistically it will be finished by the end of next year so will be on the exhibition circuit early 2018.

I am hoping to have it set up in its own industrial unit from mid next year and if anyone is interested I'll do an open day for anyone on here to come and take a look.

• Like 12

I am hoping to have it set up in its own industrial unit from mid next year and if anyone is interested I'll do an open day for anyone on here to come and take a look.

Thanks Simon, I for one would love to come and see the layout and I am sure there would be many other RM Webber's who would also like the opportunity.

Thank you for the compliments.

Realistically it will be finished by the end of next year so will be on the exhibition circuit early 2018.

I thnk the "if anyone is interested..." will quite possibly turn into "sorry I've had to limit the number of visitors and will try and find time to plan another date(s)".

• Like 1

Kryten65 so a car enthusiast too! I'm always amazed how many Supercar enthusiasts love railways too. Hopefully one day model railways will be as cool as Supercars! Still on the mend the old girl but thanks for asking.

I really do appreciate the kind comments once again. As we all know building layouts can often be as frustrating as

rewarding sometimes. I'm about to disappear into the garage for another session on board 11 right now.

I've said it before, but modelling a real location has been a lot easier especially because HL was so well photographed in the '80's. You simply model what you see. There's just a lot of it!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding modelling and I can't think of anything more complimentary than what's already been said, really looking toward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if their are any repeats..

Frustrating night last night.

Having finished board 10 I realised I'd misread the 'contour' map I follow and I'd mistakenly made this board with the scenery almost level with the 4 tracks, instead of an embankment gradually decreasing in steepness.

It would always bug me had I left it so.. yanked out the trees and covered 10 days work with plaster and polysterene tiles. Out came the hot knife and back to it. :(

post-25007-0-62980900-1469187501.jpg

• Like 9

Just superb - I really can't wait to see this....... I sympathise greatly with having to rework that board, but you've reached such heights with the whole layout, you wouldn't cope with knowing it's not quite right....

Apologies if their are any repeats..

Frustrating night last night.

Having finished board 10 I realised I'd misread the 'contour' map I follow and I'd mistakenly made this board with the scenery almost level with the 4 tracks, instead of an embankment gradually decreasing in steepness.

It would always bug me had I left it so.. yanked out the trees and covered 10 days work with plaster and polysterene tiles. Out came the hot knife and back to it. :(

Welcome to the club mate !

Kryten65 so a car enthusiast too! I'm always amazed how many Supercar enthusiasts love railways too. Hopefully one day model railways will be as cool as Supercars! Still on the mend the old girl but thanks for asking.

Simon

I once had an Allegro with a power bump on the bonnet - does that count ?

• 2 weeks later...

Mini update..went to see the (almost finished) first point on the model which is part of the first double junction. This begins on board 13.

Norman Saunders has scratch built the correct Westinghouse point motors from their drawing and each points individual cranks will move.

In the pic you can see the 3 working cranks yet to be joined by a long bar.

Point heaters will also be added with a scale pipe which on the prototype carries the propane from nearby cylinders to the rails themselves.

Really pleased with this, the double junction of which this point is part of scales at 12ft. Can't wait to see the finished article!

post-25007-0-64460800-1470253512_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-63363700-1470253525_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Why so many tie bars Simon. Is it to do with the sheer length of the point ?

Allan.

Back drives and additional stretcher bars are the norm on pointwork where the turnout speed is 40mph or higher  and one locally even has a backdrive and one additional driven stretcher bar with a turnout speed of 20 mph although that is a more recent installation. 

Of course. Evening Star was in steam in the early to mid 1980's and actually ran through HL on the way to Copy Pit via Hebden Bridge on 3 or 4 occasions.

I'm planning it pulling 12 and with fan assisted smoke units in some of the coaches to mimic steam heating it should be quite a sight!

• Like 7