Heaton Lodge Junction

Simon, Do you intend having the fiddle yard as a scenic feature ?.

That is a good question Richard! 

Originally the fiddle yard was going to be a loose representation of Healey Mills. However given the amount of handbuilt pointwork it would need I've shelved that idea and decided to concentrate on just simply finishing Heaton Lodge. So for now the fiddle yard will just be exactly that - with Peco track. Healey Mills will be a future project that could replace the Peco fiddleyard sometime in the future.

That said my absolute dream project would be Dent Station (scenic break where the coal road runs over the line) to Blea Moor tunnel North face. In 7mm to scale :)

Set in 1967..

Kinda got a bit on with this yet though!

• Like 5

Managed to find this hugely useful BR remodelling diagram from 1970 online whilst researching HL. Apologies for the poor quality.

It enabled Norman to get the correct serial number for each individual point and also to replicate the correct colour light signal numbers. 

On the diagram the 4 tracks that disappear to the right are modelled and represent about half mile (48ft) of track.

post-25007-0-56521300-1485789586_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

While the junction is away being fitted into the frames that hold the scenery, I've been experimenting with replicating some of the scenic features that are part of the immediate landscape.

The first is a man made water culvert that takes a stream under the tracks and out into a larger stream the other side.

I'm trying to get the effect of fast moving water down the culvert and have tried quite a few methods such as PVA, Woodland Scenic realistic water and Tamiya Acrylic varnish applied in many thin coats over a muddy green base.

So far the last one (taking a leaf out of Gordon Gravett' fab book) is working well for shallow fast flowing water over the greeny base with the addition of a few strands of woodland scenic field grass to mimic water weeds. I played a hairdryer over the varnish to get some ripples before it falls over the steps..

To get white water effects I've been playing with some clear silicone sealant which I daub very thinly onto a clear plastic sheet. After it dries I've glued it temporarily over one of the steps to get some idea of its effect. Also added is some heavy structure gel which dries with just a touch of whiteness - the pic shows it wet - again to try and add the effect of shallow white water.

Its not there yet I know but its showing promise. Any suggestions gratefully received!

First pic of real thing..

post-25007-0-94187600-1486848538.jpg

• Like 7

Top of the culvert which is interesting.

The brick walls I'm making out of plastikard covered with brick slaters embossed sheet. Can't be seen on the pics of the model brick wall (see bottom of model culvert) but I used a scalpel to slice off sections of the embossed brickwork to get single bricks to line the top and sides of the walls.

Model mates brick filler was painted on left to dry then wiped off with a damp cloth. Really pleased with the resulting effect. Just needs some slime on the bottom now :)

post-25007-0-42229700-1486848888_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-72090500-1486848900.jpg

• Like 15

The water has to (appear to) move, otherwise it would look static... odd statement I know but you get what I mean. I think you're pretty much there with the water on your test rig. Love it!

Edited by grob1234

Top of the culvert which is interesting.

The brick walls I'm making out of plastikard covered with brick slaters embossed sheet. Can't be seen on the pics of the model brick wall (see bottom of model culvert) but I used a scalpel to slice off sections of the embossed brickwork to get single bricks to line the top and sides of the walls.

Model mates brick filler was painted on left to dry then wiped off with a damp cloth. Really pleased with the resulting effect. Just needs some slime on the bottom now :)

I was only thinking the other day that there is not any type of embossed card out there to replicate a brick soldier course, I like the look of what you have managed to do, it looks very labour intensive.

Just wondering if these brick solder courses could be made using laser cut MDF ? Especially as the strips would be flexible at that size they could bond to the top of any brick wall.

Hmmm, food for thought.

Martyn.

Hi Giles,

Wow looks good and being blue engineering bricks they really stand out, lovely work as usual. I take it you have cut these yourself?

There must be a market out there, albeit small I do not know of anyone else supplying a similar sort of MDF strips ?

Regards,

Martyn.

Thank you! Yes indeed.

I suppose I could always supply these if people wanted - I can't sensibly do structures economically, but small items like this should be doable.

Hi Giles,

Well I would definitely be interested in some " strips " of brick solder courses, the labour and time saving would be of great benefit to me. Just let me know the costs either on here or a pm, and I will be your first customer.

All the best,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I called up to White Rose modelworks who have wired the cassettes and screwed them into the frames. Now back in the workshop I've got my work cut out for a month or so cutting down the wooden formers, adding the basic embankments and other detail such as relay box alcoves, water culvert and a host of other detail.

post-25007-0-83512500-1488378886.jpg

• Like 15