Bachmann DBSO driving brake second open

class37418stag

I personally think there are enough liveries for Bachmann to look at doing the blanked off end ones, as they could release it in anglia livery (with mk2's to match) also it could be done in NR and DRS liveries (again the DRS Mk2F can be done). The only problem with this is that, I think now it's unlikely until after the Virgin Mk2F releases. As they have just done the later IC ones and the next announcement will most likely be of the Virgin branding but after that so maybe a Christmas announcement might be the time. Until then it's a waiting game or a conversion  job.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

To be pedantic, officially it is not a DBSO. It is a RTOV - Remote Train Operating Vehicle.

Although they are still often called dibsos by the rail staff.

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, newbryford said:

To be pedantic, officially it is not a DBSO. It is a RTOV - Remote Train Operating Vehicle.

You mean to say the railway likes to be awkward and change the name of something? Shock :lol: I've never known them as RTOVs, but worth remembering for next time! I guess there's no 'standard open' about it nowadays.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

RTOV is an oxymoron as it is coupled to the train.

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

RTOV is an oxymoron as it is coupled to the train.

Is it? Or is it a vehicle for operating the train, remotely from the locomotive? Hmmmm

Nice to see they've added some NR specific mods like the jumpers too.

Jo

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Lego Jaeson said:

Thinking of ordering the Anglia and Intercity ones. Do you think you could put a blanking chip decoder and remove the decoder the model comes with as I do not have DCC. ? I also hope that the MK2 in Anglia livery will be available at some point. 

Thank you

I didn't think the DBSOs had a 'socket' as such, I thought it was just a built in lighting board combining the interior lights on the PCB with built in decoder. Check the data-sheets though, see what they say. I'd be surprised if it didn't work on DC already though

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I didn't think the DBSOs had a 'socket' as such, I thought it was just a built in lighting board combining the interior lights on the PCB with built in decoder. Check the data-sheets though, see what they say. I'd be surprised if it didn't work on DC already though

Thank you for your reply. I will probably contact Bachmann.

Thank you.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Is it? Or is it a vehicle for operating the train, remotely from the locomotive? Hmmmm

Nice to see they've added some NR specific mods like the jumpers too.

Jo

And the correct larger central cab window for 9702/9703.....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, slg said:

Very surprised there isn't  DRS liveried one through the collectors club to go with the mk2 coaches they've done, well maybe next quarter.

The DRS one would need more tooling alterations to be correct. Such as top headlight and removal of lower main headlight among a few other little bits. Hopefully it’s on the way! And as you say we can expect it next quarter…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/02/2022 at 18:33, virginhst539 said:

superb, noticed some sites have 9702 now unavailable for pre order so already seems to be selling well, hopefully this will encourage Bachmann to do another network rail one with the narrow center window as seen on 9701,9708 and 9714

There would be more tooling to be done, to add a fuel tank or the SGT equipment. Which I beginner modeller could add themselves.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2022 at 18:33, virginhst539 said:

superb, noticed some sites have 9702 now unavailable for pre order so already seems to be selling well, hopefully this will encourage Bachmann to do another network rail one with the narrow center window as seen on 9701,9708 and 9714

10 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

There would be more tooling to be done, to add a fuel tank or the SGT equipment. Which I beginner modeller could add themselves.

Not forgetting the large grille on one side for the generator fitted 9701/08/14. Flickr pic.

https://flickr.com/photos/chris_baines/24738131161/in/photolist-DG2owM-2iJu8WQ-DAMgY4-pDX66Q-2mL4ZSR-2hF6SnW-2jJ5af3-E1FVbJ-2dxFCom-25Hhk9i-2kZPBJK-28UVmS7-NHfYC4-DRJTvM-PA59en-2kWvgk8-2mLKzSe-28PKdx9-Pnx1Tb-b4du4R-2kqqwf9-2kBAJY9-2m7F8Pd-knRChZ-iNs6oX-2dSzUFa-NGkzUa-9sJFH9-Ctg6jh-CzyToe-upPjZo-RjN515-9vTuWU-a98ZTd-25Hhnrp-2mfEFbj-2hQn1Te-2m7YsDN-2mG8Qpy-DAGFjF-2kBEwUz-2kDJfd9-2m9nq61-2mtdfa2-268BmDF-CoQW4K-RW3Dxn-2kqupah-2mAFwKp-b4du4M

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/02/2022 at 19:00, adb968008 said:

Need some Anglia coaches for that Anglia dbso.

Hornby produced some Anglia livered MK2's a number of years ago, I have enough for 2 full rakes. I have pre ordered a couple of Bachmann dbso's so it will be interesting to see how they look alongside the Hornby ones, I suspect it will really make them show their age.

When I originally bought the Hornby coaches I also converted a couple of Airfix Mk2 brakes to dbso's as, at the time, you could buy a whitemetal dbso cab - can't remember the manufacturer. They looked OK to me at the time, it was my first attempt at this sort of thing, but they will no doubt look rather primitive compared to the Bachmann models.  

3 hours ago, Keith J said:

Hornby produced some Anglia livered MK2's a number of years ago, I have enough for 2 full rakes. I have pre ordered a couple of Bachmann dbso's so it will be interesting to see how they look alongside the Hornby ones, I suspect it will really make them show their age.

When I originally bought the Hornby coaches I also converted a couple of Airfix Mk2 brakes to dbso's as, at the time, you could buy a whitemetal dbso cab - can't remember the manufacturer. They looked OK to me at the time, it was my first attempt at this sort of thing, but they will no doubt look rather primitive compared to the Bachmann models.  

I've got a Hurst conversion kit somewhere. That was whitemetal so you may well have used the same.

I never saw a Hornby 8 window TSO, which were the more common. Hornby re-used their 7 window FO model. Anglia had some declassified FOs which had been rebuilt with high density seating, but they only had 2 of these in each rake, with 3 or 4 of the more common 8 window TSOs.
Hornby's was also the older Dapol Mk2D tooling. Most (possibly all?) of Anglia's Mk2s were 2Fs.

I think it is highly likely that Bachmann will release these in the not too distant future.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Keith J said:

Ive seen some on ebay, though being exAirfix mk2d would be off putting.

I’d imagine the paint of the dbso should match 47714 as an idea, but I cant see Bachmann making the Anglia dbso with nothing to match behind… though they were mixed with intercity stock during repainting.

I wonder if the success of the dbso, it might lead them to a braver place and do a GLV and matching Gatwick Express rake ?

5 hours ago, Keith J said:

I've done a few conversions on the Hornby MK2F BSO, but, also a Bachmann based version of 9708, with lights and sound. Working on 9701 with even more detail. They'll complement 9702 that's now on order....

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/25224-mk2f-dbso-conversion/

Edited by LMSfan72