Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

Having never done it before I didn't realise what fun it was taking pics of model railways.  Here are a few more of Stoke Courtenay.

attachicon.gifLayout 24 July 2016 001-min.JPG

A King heads west with the CRE, but looks like the crew jumped ship!

Here are some of Stoke Courtenay's population:

attachicon.gifCouple & car 002-min.JPG

Early evening, and a young man picks his new lady friend up from the London train.  His 10 year old Austin 7 could do with a wash. 

attachicon.gifLayout 24 July 2016 008-min.JPG

Man having quick pint on way home from work.  My wife knows little about the GWR but does have an eye for detail.  She asked me if a pint in 1930s Devon would have such a nice creamy head on it.  I had to admit, probably not (and probably not in 2016 either.)

attachicon.gifLayout 24 July 2016 010-min.JPG

Finally, local garage and mechanic. (I can see he needs another touch of matt varnish on his overalls.) I remember my dad's first car, bought second hand in the 1950s, was a 1938 Standard 12 like this.

John C.

Hi John - these recent photos lead me to ask what the make of your figures are. They are beautifully painted and natural poses. Also, while I'm on the site, what is your techniques for making your trees?

Many thanks and regards, Andy R

• RMweb Gold

I have enjoyed reading through this, the title caught my eye. 

I've been rather vague about where Stoke Courtenay is actually supposed to be but the sign in the pic below might provide a clue!  The name itself is from the Courtenay family, who were earls of Devon in the middle ages (and, I believe, still are), hence 'Earlsbridge').

Slightly off topic, you are right about the Courtneys; the current (19th) Earl of Devon is Charles Courtney, who became Earl when his father (Hugh Rupert, 18th Earl) died last year. We live in Kenton within earshot* of their home, Powderham Castle. The current Earl seems a lot more modern & approachable than the previous, being known to all around as 'Charlie'; his children attend the village primary school alongside ours and incidentally his wife is the actress Alison Joy (AJ) Langer, formally of Baywatch!

Rather confusingly, there is also the Earl of Devonshire (who is also Duke of Devonshire) and lives at Chatsworth in Derbyshire...

* as shown by the Radio 1 Big Weekend concerts! :)

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just another thumbs up for a fine layout, photographed to advantage, too.

Having over the years seen magazine spreads and now online threads about a zillion GWR layouts, fatigue ought to have set in. It has not, and this adds another to the quality end of that spectrum.

I certainly prefer to first see layouts at an advanced stage, when they serve to inspire. This does so in spades.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Just read your most recent posting on here and enjoyed reading it. For many of us, you have summed up our feelings nicely. Some of us may be young yet in terms of expert modellers or our skill levels are still developing (come to think of it, nobody ever stops developing their skill levels - all part of being a human and not a machine) but it is the enjoyment and relaxation of the hobby that keeps us fired up (pun intended there!)

You have clearly taken a great deal of time, care and attention in your modelling and you can reap your rewards gladly. :good: 

Some modellers do prefer the designing and building aspect compared with having running sessions which isn't a problem at all - to each his own. Whatever aspect it is, it's the enjoyment and relaxation that are the greatest rewards I feel, especially after a long day at work. Nothing better than to disappear back to the good days for a few hours and escape.

Anyway, keep the photos coming. Oh, and thank you for your advise on the running in board - it has proven to be most useful!

Chris :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello John, what you've termed 'broad brush' is rather good in my mind! There's a real feeling of space, atmosphere & cohesion here, the models are all to similar standards and so all contribute to the whole picture instead of some standing out due to being better than others. Seeing the current pictures gives it an overall feeling of completeness (even if it's not) but I'm sure we would all love to see & read how you achieved it!

Edited by Ramblin Rich

There are loads of positive things to say about your layout and work and lots of things many of us can learn from it. I really like the clean and uncluttered look. I also agree that its great to see a near complete layout - it can be a bit demoralising gazing over bare plywood and unpainted track all time.

Also those of us modelling in 00-SF have their bashers but I have to say its really refreshing to see a layout that effortlessly champions the gauge. Why wouldn't you want 00 track work to look like this?! Of course I dread a later update which you tell of what a nightmare its been?

I have a feeling one of its attractions is that many us would love to find something like this on climbing through our own loft hatches?

Splendid stuff.

• Like 3

After 4 years I've just (almost) finished my layout, a loft-based affair in 4mm scale using 00-SF standards.  So time to take a breather and post a few pics.

attachicon.gifRailway 29 June 1.JPGattachicon.gifRailway 29 June 2.JPGattachicon.gifRailway 29 June 3.JPGattachicon.gifRailway 29 June 4.JPGattachicon.gifRailway 29 June 5.JPGattachicon.gifRailway 29 June 6.JPG

Stoke Courtenay represents a small GW junction station in the 1930s, the track layout being based on Brent, south Devon, with a few variations.  If there's any interest, once I return from holiday in a couple of weeks I'll post a bit more info and some more pics.

Unlike many retired returnee modellers I have no lifetime's collection of stock, just a rag bag of new and second-hand items, and unbuilt kits, gathered together over the last four years.  I've been exercising a self-denying ordinance on these pending completion of a layout to run them on, so at present they're all more or less as I bought them.  So I look forward to spending the next four years detailing, weathering, kit-building, repainting and general tarting up.

I can see I'll also have to investigate some better lighting for layout photography.  A lot to learn there, and indeed in all other areas, having been out of this game for 40+ years until 2012.

John C.

John,

I've just found your thread. As one 1930s GWR fan to another, I'm impressed with what you've done.

Unlike you, I did amass much stock over the years. I am now trying to sort it all out. I had locos that were past their sell by as it were and I have had to upgrade. I also have far too many wagons: hundreds! I obviously forgot what I had, and kept buying. Its only now I have a layout that I find certain items don't run well. So I reckon you've done it the right way.

Cheers

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just had a look through myself and, notwithstanding regional preferences / bias that my RMWeb name might imply, have to say have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading a little about your splendid creation.

If I can say that, as others have intimated, what does it for me is not just the trackwork per se (mighty fine though it is) but the overall atmosphere of a railway in its environment. It all looks so effortless and natural. By that I mean, as well as the trackwork, the ballast, the cess, the embankments / cuttings, the boundary fence and the bridges / tunnels. SO many layouts fail to convince due to lack of attention to these other aspects.

You're a lot cleverer than you make out, sir (even if you don't realise it!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is craftsmanship of the first order. No ratings suffice. I have seen very few projects on here that come close. Your track spacing approach is is one of many examples of this.