Hailsham - Pre-WW1 LBSC - 00 Gauge

BlueLightning

• RMweb Gold

This topic is a continuation of my old topic here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88863-hailsham

For early discussions and pictures see this topic although a lot has changed with the plans since the last update.

So my exhibition layout will be a model of Hailsham. it won't be 100% accurate but "close enough" due to necessary compromises to get into the space I have available, it is being built to Britmod-00 standards. The total size of the layout is 13' x 2'6"

The layout was originally going to be set not long before closure of the line in the early 1960's however as I have started building my pre-grouping layout at home and getting a lot of LBSC stock that isn't appropriate for it, I have decided that this layout will be built as an LBSC layout set in the pre-WW1 period and as a result of this decision finally being made the layout has started to have work done on it at last. it will be a slow process as for the next couple of months the layout is living at my office and I will only have an hour or so a week to work on it but hopefully it will be running before my lease runs out on the office at the end of August.

So a track plan:

post-22762-0-99441500-1491925844_thumb.jpg

and after 6 months of not being touched they layout has finally seen some work done to it in the form of track being laid:

post-22762-0-68051700-1491925857_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-50868200-1491925862_thumb.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my plans and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi James thanks for your comment,

I am hoping it will be great fun to operate lots of shunting to do.

Brtimod-00 is/was a set of standards developed on RMWeb and set out here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/ for Modular 00 gauge layouts so that people could meetup join their layouts together and have fun operating giant layouts. Unfortunately the idea seems to have died ans as far as I'm aware there was only ever 1 meetup (see here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97354-secag-modular-meet-27th-june-2015/) which by all accounts was fun I missed it due to an injury sustained in a car accident which also really hit my mojo and following from that is about the time this layout got mothballed and in fact I had new baseboards built and have just lacked time to work on them since.

Despite the modular project seemingly having died with the fact that I had the baseboards made to meet the standards I have decided to keep the layout fully within standards then should another meet ever happen I will have something to take along and have a rather fun time with.

Gary

• Like 3

Hi James thanks for your comment,

I am hoping it will be great fun to operate lots of shunting to do.

Brtimod-00 is/was a set of standards developed on RMWeb and set out here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/ for Modular 00 gauge layouts so that people could meetup join their layouts together and have fun operating giant layouts. Unfortunately the idea seems to have died ans as far as I'm aware there was only ever 1 meetup (see here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97354-secag-modular-meet-27th-june-2015/) which by all accounts was fun I missed it due to an injury sustained in a car accident which also really hit my mojo and following from that is about the time this layout got mothballed and in fact I had new baseboards built and have just lacked time to work on them since.

Despite the modular project seemingly having died with the fact that I had the baseboards made to meet the standards I have decided to keep the layout fully within standards then should another meet ever happen I will have something to take along and have a rather fun time with.

Gary

Gary, that's a really cool idea!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are quite right the end of August is quite close.

Once we move out of the offices the layout will live at home, there is space already available for it to live but it wont be able to be setup in it's entirety so what I want to do before then is get it to a stage it runs so I can test everything.

Then at home it will be worked on a board at a time and unless we move into offices with a nice big boardroom again it will only get completely setup for exhibitions or other special events when I can get it somewhere with space, there is space in my garden for it if I ever really feel like running the entire layout at home but I have Oak Hill for at home.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having posted an update over at Oak Hill I think its time I posted one here.

As I said before it is slow progress but some more track has been laid, hopefully I will get a bit of extra time to spend on it this week however I also have to fit in the final prep work for my new DCC controllers launch at the end of the month so that will eat up time over the next fortnight.

Still time for some pictures of progress:

post-22762-0-91707800-1491925938_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-14800100-1491925940_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and I look forward to any comments / suggestions that you may have.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another week another hours work. Once again not a lot has happened however I am not working for the rest of this week so track laying should be done before the weekend.

So first a look at how the track looks now:

post-22762-0-92415000-1491925990_thumb.jpg

But to go with this while I had some down time last week I made some signage for the front of the layout which is now packed safely in the stock box:

post-22762-0-14176600-1491925990_thumb.jpg

So only a small update again, but thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This week we just have a quick update to say that track laying has finished and soldering can now be commenced, not long until I get to run something.

post-22762-0-02233100-1491926038_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Time for a lack of update and plea for help.

I have done absolutely no modelling this week, although Hailsham has now made it home so I will be able to speed up work on it now.

I am trying to get a hold of the following Terry Gough articles as Printed in Railway Modeller. If anyone can help please let me know

Aug 1966 Part 1 LBSCR Third (54') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.
Sep 1966 Part 2 LBSCR Composites & Brake 3rds (54') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.
Oct 1967 Part 6 SECR Birdcage stock (45'-60') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.
Dec 1967 Part 7 SECR Composite (50'-60') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.

Also Tinkers Park exhibition this weekend (Aug 6-7) I'll be operating 'Oakley' with some other members of Uckfield MRC and my daughter please come say hi if you are there.

Gary

• 6 months later...

Time for a lack of update and plea for help.

I have done absolutely no modelling this week, although Hailsham has now made it home so I will be able to speed up work on it now.

I am trying to get a hold of the following Terry Gough articles as Printed in Railway Modeller. If anyone can help please let me know

Aug 1966 Part 1 LBSCR Third (54') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.

Sep 1966 Part 2 LBSCR Composites & Brake 3rds (54') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.

Oct 1967 Part 6 SECR Birdcage stock (45'-60') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.

Dec 1967 Part 7 SECR Composite (50'-60') convs. from Tri-ang clerestory coaches.

Also Tinkers Park exhibition this weekend (Aug 6-7) I'll be operating 'Oakley' with some other members of Uckfield MRC and my daughter please come say hi if you are there.

Gary

Hi Gary, Just seen this link..I have those magazines. I can scan them and copy them over to you , if you still need them?

Great articles - if somewhat dated in their layout! Here are some of my "In progress" attempts! You can see the origin of some of the plastic!

IMG_2496_zpsb3crd45c.jpg

IMG_2495_zpsjbbmwp8w.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your offer, I managed to get copies of all the magazines in the end. I think from eBay. Although I am yet to try making any stock as I don't have many of the Tri-ang carriages to work with.

Your bumping this topic makes we want to get the layout out of the cupboard and get it wired at last. I didn't realise it was back in July that I last worked on it!!!

Gary

• Like 1

It would be good to see this one progress, because it's set in the right part of the world ....... added to which, it might encourage me to make the next Great Leap Forward (RMWeb automatically capitalises that, which is interesting ...... cultural revolution ...... nope, not that one ...... little red book .... no ...... very strange!) on my layout, which is to make some platforms.

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Platforms!! Maybe I should be getting encouraged by your layout!! I still need to wire up Hailsham. I think the prospect of all that soldering is one of the reasons I have been spending so much time on Oak Hill rather than this one!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your offer, I managed to get copies of all the magazines in the end. I think from eBay. Although I am yet to try making any stock as I don't have many of the Tri-ang carriages to work with.

Your bumping this topic makes we want to get the layout out of the cupboard and get it wired at last. I didn't realise it was back in July that I last worked on it!!!

Gary

No problem Gary..... I think I probably bought up most of those available! I still have to finish those off, but may attempt next some SECR 'ex-Birdcage P-P stock....I'm looking at maybe utilisng some Ratio Midland coaches for that though...I think the panelling MAY be a bit more accurate?

Platforms!! Maybe I should be getting encouraged by your layout!! I still need to wire up Hailsham. I think the prospect of all that soldering is one of the reasons I have been spending so much time on Oak Hill rather than this one!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

You know you're just itching to play with the soldering iron after all the work on "Framnock Bay" :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No problem Gary..... I think I probably bought up most of those available! I still have to finish those off, but may attempt next some SECR 'ex-Birdcage P-P stock....I'm looking at maybe utilisng some Ratio Midland coaches for that though...I think the panelling MAY be a bit more accurate?

I wouldn't go saying that on my Oak Hill thread if I were you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Gary,

Is that the wire to the track?  I am sure under the baseboard you can use connectors.

• RMweb Gold

You know you're just itching to play with the soldering iron after all the work on "Framnock Bay" :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I wouldn't put it like that LOL!!! I am kinda itching to get this layout going again though!!!!! (and I need to start a thread for Framnock Bay at some point as well)

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Is that the wire to the track?  I am sure under the baseboard you can use connectors.

Yes I plan on using connectors under the layout. Although I need to order some more of those. I ran out while rewiring Oak Hill and I haven't ordered any more yet!!!!!

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Gary

I wish it was so easy obtaining the magazines over here, I don't know how people on eBay think £8 postage to Norway is reasonable!

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

I wish it was so easy obtaining the magazines over here, I don't know how people on eBay think £8 postage to Norway is reasonable!

Stuart

If you PM me your email address I can email over the articles in question as I have already got them scanned.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping for a few more modules by now to be honest. When I started the design work for this layout the Britmod-00 standards had only just been finalised, and as far as I am aware there has only been one meeting of Britmod-00 modules!!

Gary