My Small garden Railway

Bartb

• 1 year later...
On 03/08/2018 at 22:35, Chris M said:

Track cleaning is an issue for anyone running track power outside. Battery powered radio control is great if you can find room for it in your locos.

Nice to see your project running. Well done.

This link:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rc_model_rail.html

will answer most questions on how Radio Control is done and LiPo power will be compact enough to run all but the largest and most inefficient Pittman Gearhead motors. (My Accucraft GG eats the charge from 4Ahr NiMh in just over an hour and a half.)

Knowing that the basic units will motivate O-16.5 the needs of many O-gauge models should be easier as there is a bit more room to spread the individual NiMh cells around the loco

Or you might use a Covered Coach Van and install a power supply within it, then use a linking plug and socket to the loco after disconnecting the track power pick-ups.

Use a micro-DPDT switch and you could leave the track pickups in situ and run the loco inside and out.

There being several ways in which to unfleece a feline.

On 11/06/2018 at 21:43, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi,

The other problem is if built on clay then the concrete will shift and break. I'm trying to get my plastic boards finished, 75% of the garden section is wooden boards and 25% will be various types of plastic.

ATVB

CME

I'm on regularly flooded sand in woodland.

52tonnes of best reinforced ready-mix and 2000 concrete blocks have not moved in 19 years...

The bunged in quick 'stations' have been subject to settlement and collapse so are now replaced by 5tonnes of reinforced garage footing foundation and 50 concrete blocks

Build you footing deep enough once and you are set for life...

• 5 months later...

sadly i had problems with the boards by the fence, and they have started to rot. so i have to rebuild it and start again. so annoying just as it was working alright. oh well thats outdoor model railways for you.  I will post some pictures soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/02/2021 at 13:49, Bartb said:

sadly i had problems with the boards by the fence, and they have started to rot. so i have to rebuild it and start again. so annoying just as it was working alright. oh well thats outdoor model railways for you.  I will post some pictures soon.

I had the same problem with 75% of my garden section, sold what was supposed to be marine ply, from a once reputable supplier. It wasn't, poor quality ply 'sandwich' without outdoor glue, it wasn't even as good as WBP. Almost soul destroying. Onwards and upwards though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Roofing felt over decking boards looks good.

It may protect the boards from the weather but wood pigs get underneath and into the grooves where they can munch away undisturbed.

I

The boards and timbers have to be treated thoroughly.

I have painted all the woodwork Black, and the boards are covered in Roofing felt. I am sure they will last longer than me. :-)

I have now finished all the planks on the top, now to cover the last bit and start laying track. Some of the track is down, and had a short running session to test it out.

20210608_174231.jpg

20210608_174252.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting to read what works and what proves not to work after a few years outside. We have just started building an outdoor O gauge running track at our club. We have decided to avoid using wood altogether. Pooling ideas from members using their own experiences has hopefully come up with a good design. For uprights we are using recycled plastic posts from filcris.co.uk. For straight sections we have bought galvanised electrical conduit (as in the photo), which will hold a plank of plastic board covered in roofing felt to fix the track to.  For stations we are planning to use wider strips of plastic board, using dexion to provide rigidity.  Curves will again be built using flexible plastic sheets cut into stringers and spacers and fixed together with stainless steel screws using the ladder design and then covered in felt.

Our primary criteria is building something to last. Not being in a garden, we have to worry less about aesthetics, but do need to ensure it will be robust and withstand usage from a wide range of users of all ages.

238695238_1892706890903903_3002038712377230390_n.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

Interesting to read what works and what proves not to work after a few years outside. We have just started building an outdoor O gauge running track at our club. We have decided to avoid using wood altogether. Pooling ideas from members using their own experiences has hopefully come up with a good design. For uprights we are using recycled plastic posts from filcris.co.uk. For straight sections we have bought galvanised electrical conduit (as in the photo), which will hold a plank of plastic board covered in roofing felt to fix the track to.  For stations we are planning to use wider strips of plastic board, using dexion to provide rigidity.  Curves will again be built using flexible plastic sheets cut into stringers and spacers and fixed together with stainless steel screws using the ladder design and then covered in felt.

Our primary criteria is building something to last. Not being in a garden, we have to worry less about aesthetics, but do need to ensure it will be robust and withstand usage from a wide range of users of all ages.

238695238_1892706890903903_3002038712377230390_n.jpg

I'll watch with interest.

I've used upcycled posts from a garden trampoline - nearly indestructible. I've a couple of steel posts from our old H&BLR railway too (they'll rust in time).

I pondered cable trays but couldn't reconcile the curves - my garden section of the layout is nearly all on a curve/reverse curves.

Filcris posts etc are great, good company. I also experimented with uPVC materials for baseboards as some had made that work, but I had nothing but problems. I've settled on marine ply, well treated and/or Foamlux for baseboard tops.