Heljan Churchward Mogul in 7mm scale

steve fay

Is the front of the tender top too far out  ...there is a suggestion to me that  the photo may not be taken fully "square end on" compared to the plan

What caught my eye was the difference at the top of the steps on the Heljan where it the line of it "flares out" at the top ... a change to a later batch of 350 gallon tenders?

R

Yes the photo is deceptive because it's not square and the drawing is of course.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

I think it looks more different than it really is due to the absence of that brake handle (?) on the model, which makes the diagram look much “busier” in that area. The actual end of the tender body isn’t that different.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

Is the front of the tender top too far out  ...there is a suggestion to me that  the photo may not be taken fully "square end on" compared to the plan

What caught my eye was the difference at the top of the steps on the Heljan where it the line of it "flares out" at the top ... a change to a later batch of 350 gallon tenders?

R

Tiny typo there R - very easily done with some keyboards

We understand ........... so minor point

3500 gallon is what you meant.

I know not all locomotives can have all features but you'd think pickups would be one you'd stick to... Especially since there are wires running across the draw bar anyway. Seems a very odd choice. Probably not hard to add some or a stay alive job on DCC, but for 700 plus notes that's a bit of a downer.

Totally agree with colleagues thinking re the absence of loco pickups.

However, it is a really good looking loco overall and maybe it’s worth considering workable solutions that can be applied.

Yes, I appreciate, it shouldn’t happen on a near £700 investment - you shouldn’t have to take any remedial action at all

But ............. maybe it’s too good to write off and surely there are experienced modellers on here who can devise a strategy that others can follow?

If DCC operation is in use, then the capacitor option that Mr Chapman mentions here might be a way forward.

Whilst all the positive thinking goes on, maybe we’ll get a product recall or the offer of replacement loco chassis!!!

Well, maybe that’s the other thinking - wishful!

Totally agree with colleagues thinking re the absence of loco pickups.

However, it is a really good looking loco overall and maybe it’s worth considering workable solutions that can be applied.

Yes, I appreciate, it shouldn’t happen on a near £700 investment - you shouldn’t have to take any remedial action at all

But ............. maybe it’s too good to write off and surely there are experienced modellers on here who can devise a strategy that others can follow?

If DCC operation is in use, then the capacitor option that Mr Chapman mentions here might be a way forward.

Whilst all the positive thinking goes on, maybe we’ll get a product recall or the offer of replacement loco chassis!!!

Well, maybe that’s the other thinking - wishful!

Collected my Mogul today and can confirm that it's a really well produced model which looks very good and runs very well indeed on analogue over turnouts and crossings without hesitation.  The tender only pickups work OK.  Those who knock it need to experince it first hand rather than jump to a conclusion just because it's not been done before..  If the pickups had been only on the loco no one would have commented.

Norman

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Collected my Mogul today and can confirm that it's a really well produced model which looks very good and runs very well indeed on analogue over turnouts and crossings without hesitation. The tender only pickups work OK. Those who knock it need to experince it first hand rather than jump to a conclusion just because it's not been done before.. If the pickups had been only on the loco no one would have commented.

Norman

Good news thanks. To be fair the quoted review said its performance wasn’t great and cited that arrangement. So it’s understandable that people were concerned, especially if they’d pre-ordered. Quite why anyone would, given very little O gauge stuff sells out that quickly, is another matter! Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine up today. Not run it yet. Hopefully will try it at the club on Tuesday night.

One slight problem is one of the number plates is missing and one loose buffer (which was an easy fix).

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:24, John Tomlinson said:

I thought it was interesting at the Doncaster Show that Rails of Sheffield had these discounted to £599, rather quick for a new issue.

John.

Assume this must have been a show special as many of the retailers (Rails, Hattons, Kernow)  are still offering the 43xx at the  price of £662.99 ( well below the rrp).

Those of you who have purchased this loco have you generally been happy with its performance ?

R

R

Yes there seems to be a cartell of the big 3, Tower, Hattons and Rails, fixing the price - what ever happened to competion law.

Very happy with mine other than the usual Heljan problem with fragile bits made fom brittle plasic.

Norman

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2019 at 15:35, norman said:

R

Yes there seems to be a cartell of the big 3, Tower, Hattons and Rails, fixing the price - what ever happened to competion law

Heljan have set a maximum discount (for an initial period) which they are all sticking to.

Edited by Hal Nail

On 04/03/2019 at 19:34, Adrian Stevenson said:

Just had an email from Rails and they seem to have all versions on offer at £575.

Cheers, Ade.

Now I am very happy that I cancelled my pre-order. Looks like I will pick one up for at least £100 less. 

Hi Kim

I used a MX644 with an adaptor board and my pals both used a hard wired MX645 - all from youchoos

If you are uncertain give them a ring - very helpful

No connection just satisfied customer

Norman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a note that the additional guidance for body removal posted on the Towers site fails to spot the third tender top screw which is located to the o/s rear corner, tight to the buffer beam.

Once removed, the top comes off easily, however be careful as the tender weight is sandwiched between chassis and body, and is loose when the top is removed. The front tender handrails are the only fiddly issue, these fit into holes on the tender footplate. Caution as these are plastic.

Decoder fit is straightforward, I stripped out the Loksound socket for a Buddha chip.  Compared to the Prairie, the cables are very fine.  

Firebox flicker board peels away from the socket and can be wired into aux function terminal at default output.  This works fine, but is a little yellow for my taste. I hadn’t made this connection on my Heljan Prairie, however having done this on the Mogul, I cracked the tank engine open again and got this feature working.  I also took the opportunity to lube the gear set.

The Mogul Runs beautifully on DCC as DC.

Neal

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just acquired one of these - with no paperwork!

There are a couple of loose bits in the box - wonder if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction please?

Initial thoughts were storm sheet supports....

Many thanks

58093C5C-4D2F-4338-8BC8-5F5FD6945637.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have just acquired one of these - with no paperwork!

There are a couple of loose bits in the box - wonder if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction please?

Initial thoughts were storm sheet supports....

Many thanks

58093C5C-4D2F-4338-8BC8-5F5FD6945637.jpeg

Phil I think they look most likely to be what you think they are.  But what I want to know is does this little win presage a major redevelopment of a certain layout based upon the Worcester area?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha I dont think so Mike although these O gauge models are d*mn impressive! SWMBO isnt ruling out something in the garden so we will have to see when patio gets done after lockdown

• Like 2