The Quinton Line

Chris M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry its taken a while to reply. I chose American outline because, whilst only ever modelling British railways in smaller scales I quite liked the look of the US diesels. i found the USA Trains locos were very well detailed scale models that run very well. They were also much cheaper than LGB models. My first USA Trains loco, bought secondhand for Christmas 2002 is still running sweetly.

The track was originally laid just on the plain ground but it now has a concrete roadbed. The track isn't fixed down, it just lies on the ground and horticultural grit is used for ballast. This holds the track in place very well while allowing a little float. Ground does move. A bag of grit is required every Spring to replace grit that has disappeared over the winter. Just like a real railway!

The current track plan

post-12189-0-11691000-1477296857_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The storage sidings are under a cover. I did this so that on a typical mixed weather day in the UK I can run trains until a shower comes along and then put them under shelter until it passes. During the summer I sometimes leave rolling stock out for a few nights under this shelter.

post-12189-0-98252600-1477297523_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Although I have built the shelter and don't run trains in the rain I do sometimes run in the snow.

This is battery powered https://youtu.be/zk5-THlW5ZU

And they can even plow the snow while using track power https://youtu.be/zhd7ELe6x4Y  . Condition of snow and temperature have to be right for this to work.

Snow can be too deep for snowing. Although the video looks promising I gave up before the whole line was cleared https://youtu.be/UEu-dGb_yAw

The important thing is to make sure they are thoroughly dried out afterwards. Best done on the kitchen draining board when the household authorities aren't watching.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic garden railway. I enjoyed the video. You certainly have a good variety of stock. I love the live steam locomotive. The ground level construction looks similar to how I have started to build my own garden railway. Judging by some of the wheel slip you have some gradients on the line.

Lady Anne wasn't slipping. She has small wheels so it perhaps looked like it. My line does have some gradients but they aren't too steep. I've found an old video of a long train. The USA Trains locos are very powerful.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nature keeps doing its own thing to mine, and I am still building it!! The weeds here are vicious. But you are right, sometimes you get just the effect you could not have done in years of trying.....

Great railway, and great idea for the sheltered storage.

At Tower Station. This is a present short line. There are a couple of working F units in Santa Fe livery and there is a preserved short Zephyr train. There is no reason why a short line in the USA couldn't trial the original PPM so this scene is perfectly possible. ;)

IMG_20190603_145841.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...