Farish Class 40

TomE

These look excellent - just taken the plunge and pre-ordered my first ever sound loco (on the basis that if I don't get on with it I can sell the sound chip). Given I'm trying to get an 80s / early 90s 'what if' take on Hellifield up and running, the blue versions can be made to fit with only a bit of Rule 1. Also hoping that some enterprising souls see the merit of commissioning D200 in its 'celebrity loco' getup - would be right up my track (literally) :sungum:

Edited by bill badger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want a blue headcode disc version

I will hang on for a BR Blue disc version too.

Check out the FarBach website.

The disc version appears to be green but if you want a blue version it would be a simple repaint.

G.

Check out the FarBach website.

The disc version appears to be green but if you want a blue version it would be a simple repaint.

G.

While I completely understand Grahame's encouragement to have a go, having made, painted, and lettered many kits, if the truth be told no repaint is ever really simple.  It's all relative.  Compared to the old Poole based 40 where you all you had to do was push out the cab glazing and the nose ends before respraying and adding new transfers, this new 40 will require at the very least careful masking of all the cab and body side glazing and (possibly) the tiny indicator lights.  I don't deny it could be done, but in this instance I personally will just wait for Bachmann to paint a disc fitted one blue for me!  :good:

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

While I completely understand Grahame's encouragement to have a go, having made, painted, and lettered many kits, if the truth be told no repaint is ever really simple.  It's all relative.  Compared to the old Poole based 40 where you all you had to do was push out the cab glazing and the nose ends before respraying and adding new transfers, this new 40 will require at the very least careful masking of all the cab and body side glazing and (possibly) the tiny indicator lights.  I don't deny it could be done, but in this instance I personally will just wait for Bachmann to paint a disc fitted one blue for me!  :good:

Matt

use maskol. can be painted on over marker lights/windows etc with a small brush.

• Like 1

use maskol. can be painted on over marker lights/windows etc with a small brush.

Yes, and, of course, the more you repaint models the simpler and easier it gets. And practice on old models before attempting on expensive new ones.

G.

• RMweb Premium

A question, are the nose ends removable and therefore interchangeable as per the Bachmann OO scale Class 37?  If so then a swap of the requisite ends onto a BR blue body would only entail repainting of the end panel yellow before reattaching.

Of course as they used to say I could be talking out of my hat here....

Now that the class 40s are rumoured to be in the country I am looking forward to receiving the centre headcode BR blue variant. But I use DCC and I am not sure what decoder to buy to fit the Next 18 socket and which will be small enough to fit inside the loco and work well with the new coreless motor. The Lenz silver+ next 18 is a possibility but that is slightly larger than the 6 pin silver minis that have used on other Farish diesels.

Another possibility is to buy a Zimo sound decoder ( if I can find the additional £60!) but I have no idea how to load a class 40 sound file to the decoder - maybe Farish will sell the sound decoder as configured for the split headcode model separately?

The wisdom of other modellers on this would be appreciated.

Mark

Easy choice - Bachmann's own 36-567 decoder (a rebadged Zimo) is one of the best and cheapest NEXT18 chips around at under GBP20. 

There are a number of third party Class 40 sound packages on offer which will come ready installed on a suitable NEXT18 sound decoder for about GBP90.  A YouTube search will likely give you the chance to hear the various offerings in action. Fitting sound will then be a simple matter of plugging in the sound decoder - the speaker is already fitted.

Alternatively you could try to buy the factory decoder on eBay or wait until Farish release it as an add-on as I believe they intend to do.

Edited by dpgibbons

Now that the class 40s are rumoured to be in the country I am looking forward to receiving the centre headcode BR blue variant. But I use DCC and I am not sure what decoder to buy to fit the Next 18 socket and which will be small enough to fit inside the loco and work well with the new coreless motor. The Lenz silver+ next 18 is a possibility but that is slightly larger than the 6 pin silver minis that have used on other Farish diesels.

Another possibility is to buy a Zimo sound decoder ( if I can find the additional £60!) but I have no idea how to load a class 40 sound file to the decoder - maybe Farish will sell the sound decoder as configured for the split headcode model separately?

The wisdom of other modellers on this would be appreciated.

Mark

Non - sound.

For a perfect match for the Farish Class 40, you need look no further than ZIMO MX618N18. This works really well with coreless motors at £19. Or the Bachmann branded version of the same decoder (Bachmann 36-567) for a little less if you shop around.

Bachmann have selected ZIMO decoders for Graham Farish sound fitted models, including the Class 40, in part for their excellent control of these small coreless motors.

The MX618N18 and own branded versions use the same decoder software (less the sound portions) as the MX658N18 sound decoder as fitted to the R-T-R sound Castle Steam loco and Class 40 diesel, so you can be confident that they will run a GF Class 40 perfectly.

Sound.

Bachmann have no history of selling sound decoders as stand alone items.

Maybe someone who creates sounds for ZIMO decoders will have what you need already loaded to a ZIMO MX658N18?

PM me if you can't think of anyone. LOL

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Non - sound.

For a perfect match for the Farish Class 40, you need look no further than ZIMO MX618N18. This works really well with coreless motors at £19. Or the Bachmann branded version of the same decoder (Bachmann 36-567) for a little less if you shop around.

Bachmann have selected ZIMO decoders for Graham Farish sound fitted models, including the Class 40, in part for their excellent control of these small coreless motors.

The MX618N18 and own branded versions use the same decoder software (less the sound portions) as the MX658N18 sound decoder as fitted to the R-T-R sound Castle Steam loco and Class 40 diesel, so you can be confident that they will run a GF Class 40 perfectly.

Sound.

Bachmann have no history of selling sound decoders as stand alone items.

Maybe someone who creates sounds for ZIMO decoders will have what you need already loaded to a ZIMO MX658N18?

PM me if you can't think of anyone. LOL

Kind regards,

Paul

If you are worried about loading the sound file to the decoder, you can buy the Zimo decoder pre-loaded with the class 40 sounds from various places such as YouChoos, Wickness Models or Coastal DCC. I got a Next18 sound decoder with the speaker for my Farish Castle Class from Youchoos.

Purchased green Mauretania yesterday at Alton Models. Test ran nicely. Lovely model.

It seems Graham Farish are installing speakers in all their 40's so you just need to add a sound chip, or if you buy the sound fitted blue version you can switch the chip to one of the other three versions.

Assuming this to be the case, the model is well priced.

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't do any harm though, does it? In the Non DCC versions the speaker will have no impact on anything at all. However for those who might want to transition to DCC and sound at a later date it makes it a much easier & safer process by not having to take a saw to a £130+ model to carve out space to fit a speaker.

I'd be astonished if the inclusion of the speaker has added more than £1 to the overall cost of the model, so I'm not really sure why it should be an issue at all for DC users.

I certainly welcome this development, and I hope they continue to fit speakers as standard to future models.

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't do any harm though, does it? In the Non DCC versions the speaker will have no impact on anything at all. However for those who might want to transition to DCC and sound at a later date it makes it a much easier & safer process by not having to take a saw to a £130+ model to carve out space to fit a speaker.

I'd be astonished if the inclusion of the speaker has added more than £1 to the overall cost of the model, so I'm not really sure why it should be an issue at all for DC users.

I certainly welcome this development, and I hope they continue to fit speakers as standard to future models.

Tom. 

First of all Tom, I agree with much of what you've said. Presumably, though, making room for the speaker has altered the weight of the model, so I wonder if there is a reduction in haulage ?  I would like mine to pull 12-14 coaches up a 1/100 incline, which previous Farish Type 2 and 4s do without any angst. (I am DCC but have no interest in sound.)

That said, presumably the speaker can be removed and alternative weight added, without affecting future re-installation of said speaker. I'd need to look when I get mine, unless anyone can comment just now?