All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

My rake of PGAs arrived over Christmas and very nice they are too.

Here are a couple of images of 45004 hauling them through the station.

45579723485_7600ad6f46_k.jpgCavalex Redland PGAs 02 by McGomez441, on Flickr

31553032757_b52d3acdd8_k.jpgCavalex Redland PGAs 01 by McGomez441, on Flickr

A bit of video was also done but I have just discovered that the You Tube editor that was so easy to use has been withdrawn so curently looking at other options.

Edited by McGomez
  • Like 7

I am about to weather & load 3 of the Redland PGA's and weather 3 of the Lafarge PGA's and was wondering if someone could help me with the shape of the loads in these wagons.

I am assuming, rightly or wrongly, that the loading process was done on a 1/2 & 1/2 basis per wagon and therefore 2 peaks would be present on each load, or was it the case that these were centrally loaded so only 1 peak is required in the centre of the load.

I am assuming that the cross support in the centre of the wagon lends itself to suggest the 1/2 & 1/2 loading procedure, otherwise this would become very battered very quickly during the loading process. Also would this cross support bar always be exposed or was it often covered when loaded?

I have enough photo's for weathering purposes but 99.9% of these are from trackside and don't show the load characteristics. Also the coloration of the load is another point to consider. How many differing types of product did these PGA's carry and did it all emanate from the same source, Mountsorrel.

Any info concerning loading and the product carried would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Paul W

Edited by Paul W

Hi Paul. Glad to see someone tackling these. I'm planning to weather some at some point also.

Anyway judging by the photos attached the wagons appear to be single fill (maybe drawing forward as it goes the first pic could have two peaks to a degree). The central bar is there to prevent the hopper side bowing under the weight of the load. Its position is not really negotiable.

All the trains here are out of Mountsorrel so it looks like any colour along the scale from off white to pinky red/beige is acceptable as the load.

Hope this helps.

post-6894-0-54300100-1547110124_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-83576400-1547110298_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-43116500-1547110334_thumb.jpg

And this one although not the PGA (its hoppers from the self discharge train) it was still filled at Mountsorrel.

post-6894-0-23229500-1547110409_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE

Hi Paul,

I have made a few enquiries, the bodies were made of steel.

From my understanding, the wagons were loaded in one go from the overhead hopper fed by a conveyor from the Quarry. The train moved slowly below the hopper where the loading operator controlled the flow of product from the hopper to fully fill the wagon as it moved slowly underneath.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Cav for that shot of the rust spots & streaking. Just what was needed.

Alex, thanks for the loading info although I have just received an email concerning the differing loading techniques used now as opposed to 30 years ago before the new conveyors were installed. That may explain why my photo's of the Tilbury Roadstone liveried PGA's & the subsequent Redlands show twin peaks whereas later on as Cav and you have said they seem to show a more even central continuous loading event.

Thanks Jo for that excellent overhead shot. It really does show that the ripple/peak effect is still there which suggest a stop/load/start event as opposed to slow speed control loading.

Paul

As one how seems to spend half my life taking trains out of Sorrel.

Loading takes place under the bunker by Mountsorrel's own "pilot" which more often than not is remote controlled but can be driven, drawing forward (towards Loughborough) one wagon at a time, and loaded from the bins controlled by a hydraulic "door", because of the capacity of the drop and the volume of the wagon its unusual for continuous loading necessitating stopping per wagon creating mini peaks along the length of the wagon.

Loading usually takes place on No 2 road (furthest from MML) only using No 1 road if very busy or fault with No 2 bin

I am about to weather & load 3 of the Redland PGA's and weather 3 of the Lafarge PGA's and was wondering if someone could help me with the shape of the loads in these wagons.

I am assuming, rightly or wrongly, that the loading process was done on a 1/2 & 1/2 basis per wagon and therefore 2 peaks would be present on each load, or was it the case that these were centrally loaded so only 1 peak is required in the centre of the load.

I am assuming that the cross support in the centre of the wagon lends itself to suggest the 1/2 & 1/2 loading procedure, otherwise this would become very battered very quickly during the loading process. Also would this cross support bar always be exposed or was it often covered when loaded?

I have enough photo's for weathering purposes but 99.9% of these are from trackside and don't show the load characteristics. Also the coloration of the load is another point to consider. How many differing types of product did these PGA's carry and did it all emanate from the same source, Mountsorrel.

Any info concerning loading and the product carried would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Paul W

This video may assist with the various "humps" in the wagons.

Regards

Scott

Edited by Scott B

Scott....that video is excellent...thanks for posting. That's how I remembered them but my photo's were never from above. That video answers my questions, and a great roof shot of a grid too, bonus.....

The 3 Redlands will be permanently loaded so I didn't have the problem of finding a method of load removal.

The 6 PGA's are in the spray shop for the finishing coats of weathering tomorrow so when dry I'll post some pics.

Hot out of the spray shop are the 3 X Redland and 3 X Lafarge PGA's.

90% of the weathering is applied by hand and the rest by airbrush.

Only the Redlands are loaded as per the video above.

The lighting doesn't lend itself to showing the intricate streaking on the top of the sloping part of the hoppers. They look a lot better in hand (-:

post-5308-0-52715700-1547468602_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-25933900-1547468624_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-80371800-1547468634_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-60640700-1547468648_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-72348600-1547468659_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-19689800-1547468664_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-48099100-1547468680_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-45093200-1547468686_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-23182600-1547468697_thumb.jpgpost-5308-0-41949500-1547468701_thumb.jpgpost-5308-0-77883700-1547468704_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 13