All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

July 2019 update

OO PGA:
The second run of PGAs are currently being printed, with an expected delivery in the UK late Q3/early Q4 this year. We will have new livery variations (Original Redland/Plain White/Plain White with Patch) as well as another running number for the Redland wagons. There will also be numerous detail variations to add variety to your rake (with protection panels/stanchions with/without ladders and walkways).

https://www.cavalexmodels.com/july2019-update

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...

We have now completely sold out of LaFarge PGAs

There are a handful of weathered wagons still available, but thats it for now.

The new versions are expected in a few months (Currently in production), though no further LaFarge branded wagons are currently planned.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 09:10, Trains4U said:

We have now completely sold out of LaFarge PGAs

There are a handful of weathered wagons still available, but thats it for now.

The new versions are expected in a few months (Currently in production), though no further LaFarge branded wagons are currently planned.

John Dutfield in Chelmsford Essex still has a few of the LaFarge PGAs available

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned, haven’t got time to read through the full thread.  I’ve been trying to order some of these wagons tonight on the Cavalex website and it seems impossible to do. I’ve then gone to other stockists and I can’t place an order with any of them either. I can’t for a moment imagine they have all sold out (the superior Accurascale have all their items in stock) so what’s going on?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned, haven’t got time to read through the full thread.  I’ve been trying to order some of these wagons tonight on the Cavalex website and it seems impossible to do. I’ve then gone to other stockists and I can’t place an order with any of them either. I can’t for a moment imagine they have all sold out (the superior Accurascale have all their items in stock) so what’s going on?

Trains4U will have them for pre-order:

http://www.Trains4u.com

New batch is in Production as far as I know.

3 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Trains4U will have them for pre-order:

http://www.Trains4u.com

New batch is in Production as far as I know.

The first batch is sold out? Wow, didn’t expect that.  Are they definitely doing this version with the grey stripe as it’s the only one I want. Hope so.....

https://www.cavalexmodels.com/products/blt0g3gyl456ykv38nblngui00lxhp

Edited by aureol40012

1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

The first batch is sold out? Wow, didn’t expect that.  Are they definitely doing this version with the grey stripe as it’s the only one I want. Hope so.....

Yes, Cavalex are producing the early (grey stripe) version... http://www.trains4u.com/p/47602/Cavalex-Models-PGA012OR(1)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-Original-Redland 

Despite the Trains4U website saying "out of stock", you can simply email or telephone to pre-order and they will contact you when the models are available.  It's a bit 'old-school' compared to ordering directly via a website but that seems to be how they roll...    :)

Cavalex operate to a slightly different business model to that of Accurascale, so perhaps unfair to compare the two.  If ordering any item(s) direct from Cavalex then essentially you need to get your order and deposit in prior to production.  Failing that, some stock is made available via a small number of stockists.  I'm sure that if any of this has changed then Cav or Alex will step in and correct me, as it's their show after all, but that's my understanding of the set up.  Your best bet at this stage is to email Trains4U with your request and I'd imagine that they will be able to fulfill your needs.  :)

Edited by YesTor

9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

6 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Hi I believe that I have addressed this issue with you via email, however I just wished to address parts of your comments in order to understand where you are coming from.

In the first post you stated 'superior accurascale'. Can you clarify that comment please? If referring to the models themselves I feel that is somewhat unjust as we believe our products to be at the leading edge of railway models in both design and detail incorporated. Our good friends Fran and co at accurascale produce fantastic models however I would say that ours are also on a par.

Secondly you seem really surprised that our models have sold out, again implying that you feel our products do not justify the popular uptake, why is this? 

We are genuinely interested in your feedback on this as it seems from here that some kind of injustifiable negativity is out there which of course may impact our future sales, something which as a business we would be very keen to avoid. Our motivation moving forward is to bring the highest standard of models to the affordable masses, we cannot do that if the customers are already of a negative mindset towards our products.

Again thankyou for your interest and look forward to your feedback.

Regards

Cav

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Hi,

We are still accepting pre-orders on all variants of the PGA.
Our website shows them as being out of stock (As opposed to sold out) and there should be an option to receive a stock notification when they arrive.

If you want to secure an order, then all you need do is drop an email or a phone call and we will reserve the wagons for you, with no payment obligation until they arrive in the UK.

Unfortunately it is a known, and somewhat frustrating shortcoming of out Point Of Sale system that customers cannot place pre-orders without also requiring full payment (And we don't want to do that!)

Thanks

Gareth

10 hours ago, RBE said:

Hi I believe that I have addressed this issue with you via email, however I just wished to address parts of your comments in order to understand where you are coming from.

In the first post you stated 'superior accurascale'. Can you clarify that comment please? If referring to the models themselves I feel that is somewhat unjust as we believe our products to be at the leading edge of railway models in both design and detail incorporated. Our good friends Fran and co at accurascale produce fantastic models however I would say that ours are also on a par.

Secondly you seem really surprised that our models have sold out, again implying that you feel our products do not justify the popular uptake, why is this? 

We are genuinely interested in your feedback on this as it seems from here that some kind of injustifiable negativity is out there which of course may impact our future sales, something which as a business we would be very keen to avoid. Our motivation moving forward is to bring the highest standard of models to the affordable masses, we cannot do that if the customers are already of a negative mindset towards our products.

Again thankyou for your interest and look forward to your feedback.

Regards

Cav

Starting with some good news, it seems C and M Models in Carlisle have some of the first run in stock, so I’ve ordered from them.  http://cmmodels.7.ekm.shop/cavalex-pga012or1-pga-original-redland-livery-grey-stripe-ladderswalkways-no-protection-pane-13320-p.asp

To answer your questions, in terms of Accurascale there are a number of reasons why I’ve spent a small fortune with them. Firstly I like the use of fine metal parts (eg the walkways on the PCAs), I like the ability to buy sets of 3/5 wagons with individual numbers, I like the fact that there are multiple variations of these sets so that you can have a large rake of differently numbered and marked wagons, I like the fact that pretty much everything is in stock so that each month I can buy a different set without having to decide in advance to commit to large expenditure because otherwise I’ll miss out, and finally and perhaps most importantly (having had my fingers burnt by the collapse of Pledge Music) I don’t have to pledge money up front which could be lost in a worse case scenario (though I must admit I have chosen to do so for the Accurascale tipplers as all my experiences of dealing with them have left me highly satisfied and impressed).

The PGAs from Cavalex we’re going to be my first purchase of the brand and it’s proven to be quite difficult to place an order for what I wanted but I’ve got there in the end, albeit through a model shop (I prefer to buy direct from small manufacturers due to the margins being better for them). However, what I’ve seen of the PGAs leads me to believe they are an excellent model.

Cheers,

Jake

• RMweb Gold

I doubt there are any left anywhere. They sold out quickly as many were pre ordered. Your best bet is Trains4U as they will be first to have the next batch. They will be here soon as I believe they are in production. There are no grey stripe ones at all, they were not done in the first production run. 

25 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I doubt there are any left anywhere. They sold out quickly as many were pre ordered. Your best bet is Trains4U as they will be first to have the next batch. They will be here soon as I believe they are in production. There are no grey stripe ones at all, they were not done in the first production run. 

Ah, the grey stripe ones are on the Cavalex website as sold out so I presumed that was the FIRST batch. It’s all rather confusing......

Edited by aureol40012

I dont believe the grey stripe Redlands were done in the first batch of OO. The livery was first advertised on the sadly demised N gauge variant.

The Grey stripers are due in the second batch of the OO run so they will not be in any shop to get your hands on at present if my thinking is correct.

Scott

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Scott B said:

I dont believe the grey stripe Redlands were done in the first batch of OO. The livery was first advertised on the sadly demised N gauge variant.

The Grey stripers are due in the second batch of the OO run so they will not be in any shop to get your hands on at present if my thinking is correct.

Scott

Yeah, seems that is the case.  It’s because it is showing on the Cavalex website as sold out I made the assumption that it was from the first run, didn’t expect a run which has yet to arrive (the second run) to be sold out too.

14 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Starting with some good news, it seems C and M Models in Carlisle have some of the first run in stock, so I’ve ordered from them.  http://cmmodels.7.ekm.shop/cavalex-pga012or1-pga-original-redland-livery-grey-stripe-ladderswalkways-no-protection-pane-13320-p.asp

To answer your questions, in terms of Accurascale there are a number of reasons why I’ve spent a small fortune with them. Firstly I like the use of fine metal parts (eg the walkways on the PCAs), I like the ability to buy sets of 3/5 wagons with individual numbers, I like the fact that there are multiple variations of these sets so that you can have a large rake of differently numbered and marked wagons, I like the fact that pretty much everything is in stock so that each month I can buy a different set without having to decide in advance to commit to large expenditure because otherwise I’ll miss out, and finally and perhaps most importantly (having had my fingers burnt by the collapse of Pledge Music) I don’t have to pledge money up front which could be lost in a worse case scenario (though I must admit I have chosen to do so for the Accurascale tipplers as all my experiences of dealing with them have left me highly satisfied and impressed).

The PGAs from Cavalex we’re going to be my first purchase of the brand and it’s proven to be quite difficult to place an order for what I wanted but I’ve got there in the end, albeit through a model shop (I prefer to buy direct from small manufacturers due to the margins being better for them). However, what I’ve seen of the PGAs leads me to believe they are an excellent model.

Cheers,

Jake

Hi Jake, the detail levels that you mention for Accurascale are every bit as detailed, with fine metal parts etc on our models. I will grant you that we do not offer a wide range of differing numbers for the PGA as quite frankly it was not financially viable at that point to do so due to manufacturing constraints. This however is something that we do offer on all of our our stock moving forward.

With regard to paying for models up front, that is a customer choice. We have several stockists which sell our models and once the production run has been made there is plenty of stock available to buy from those outlets at that point. Our website deals with sales pre-production so that customers can choose to support the project, get the models made and benefit from a pre-order discount. In a show of fairness at this point we do not sell products direct after the models are delivered as a sign of respect to our stockists who have supported us and are now tasked with selling stock on.

The first batch of PGA stock was delivered to customers and shops Q4 2018 and sold really well, that being said there has been stock available in shops for many months at the beginning of this year.

The positive sales of that first batch prompted us to quickly produce a second batch of wagons with a lot more livery variations and running numbers to suit customer demand, this batch was advertised extensively at the time and is the batch that is currently under production and due for delivery Q4 2019. Shops will have a plentiful supply when they land in the uk in a month or so.

The wagons are shown on our website in order to show what we produce, it shows sold out because a) we dont have any in stock to sell at this point and b) that is the option the website gives us to show that no items are available to order from us at this point. We cannot on every product show a complete history of whats been produced, when and where you can buy it from at any given time. No one else does this?

Accurascale do things a little differently in that they made a choice to only sell everthing direct from their website in the beginning, they do now supply to stockists though. 

That doesn't mean that they are producing massive batches and having stock coming out of their ears. The industry is a different beast to 20 years ago when every corner shop was stocked to the gills with Hornby trainsets. Even the big boys are only doing a few thousand items per run these days at most as no one can afford to have stagnant stock sitting on shelves. Some items have even smaller batches and are then not re run for several years.

The dissappointing thing about your experience to me is that we are being critised as a company for meeting demand and successfully selling our products. I really don't see how we can resolve this issue without excessively overproducing and having stock sat in our stores waiting for sales that may or may not happen. 

Instead we have chosen to sell in the first instance and then give product availablility via retailers when the products arrive. The PGA is no different and there will be stock in shops before the end of the year. It will unfortunately be too late for your October deadline but I feel to blame us for that a little unfair.

All that said I do hope that moving forward you can get your hands on some of our models and have your mind changed, the ordering process is pretty simple whether pre-ordering or waiting on retailers to obtain stock. Its a case of timing which really is part of the industry nowadays I am affraid.

Regards

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Cav,

I think you misunderstand.  I have not criticised Cavalex on here, and I apologise if you feel like I have.  I thought the feedback (that you asked for) was pretty neutral in its tone. The closest to a criticism I think I’ve made on here is about your website not being easy to use, though that could be because I was looking on my phone and not a PC.  As I said at the end, the wagon I was after looks excellent.

I’ll not be buying any PGAs now as the event I need them for will have passed by the time they arrive, but I’ve just placed an order with Rails for the 3 pack of your BBA they have on pre-order.

In terms of the quality of your product, when I eventually manage to lay my

hands on some I am sure I will be blown away ;-)

Finally, the Hattons website pulls up all previous models (including discontinued ones) for the previous 10 years or so. It is a really useful reference tool but also a bit scary when you look at prices even a few years ago!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

The new PGAs are now in stock at £32.50 each.

Redland:

original livery

PGA012OR(1)

CCF90FE5-D622-48A1-BAE7-BDA45EA559F0.jpeg.4ea9ae001e96a8bc505d289a6c954ae5.jpeg

medium logo

with protection panels 

PGA012R(2)

D09EB354-D0DB-4EF5-93F4-6E99994D5830.jpeg.f4766f93b3b4fcb6be732eda0e358d00.jpeg

Without panels

PGA012L(3)

21B1DF1E-327A-48EB-AD12-1EAE38441C8F.jpeg.4d4104c5431f16c848fa96e93013cf60.jpeg

Redland Large logo (exclusive to Trains4U) - with panels