All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

Even though I model 00, I would put across a good case for N gauge to be done in the future especially after Revolution announced the HOA in N with the potential for 00 in the future. 

Hi Slg, many thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. The PGA would go nicely with Revolution’s HOA.

I know that Cav would be keen on an N gauge version!

If you do consider shrinking down to N would you also consider going up to 7mm?

Hi Dreadnought05, many thanks. To be honest I am not sure how popular a 7mm version would prove. May be a 3D printed version would be a better option, perhaps in kit form.

Looking very nice but I assume they're not suitable for Yeoman or ARC liveries; I really hope for these as there's quite a variety of 60s/70s haulage that could take them . N-gauge please.

Hi Crepello, many thanks. Unfortunately the PG012A version is not suitable for Foster Yeoman or ARC. Further versions of PGAs might be an option in the future subject to a successful release of the PG012A.

• Like 2

A couple of weeks ago there was one of these, in plain white, black patched out logo, REDA 14753, dumped in the cripple siding at Whatley. Last week, a pair were on a train in there. The set is largely ex RMC JGAs (one of the Acton based sets Beast has photographed at in Anglia times) and occasionally has a couple of PGAs added to strengthen it. The set is Acton based and will work to various destinations centred around London and the south east.

It's worth noting these are not Mendip services, but DB resourced services for Tarmac to Hayes and Hothfield.

Jo

• Like 1

That sounds good. Bachmann is proud of itself for having introduced the less obtrusive tension lock coupler and everyone has followed suit (except old Hornby wagons). It has brought problems in its wake, though, in that coupler deflection has been introduced. That’s fine when hauling a heavy rake but, as you point out, it doesn’t work so well when propelling. Not to mention interfering with the pipes.

my trains suffer from this, drooping and coupler deflection that can play havoc when I try and set back into the yard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dreadnought05, many thanks. To be honest I am not sure how popular a 7mm version would prove. May be a 3D printed version would be a better option, perhaps in kit form.

Another vote for a rake of these in 7mm please.

For people interested in a Redland version, Cav has kindly produced a 3D Render;

In this livery - I'll put the cash up now! 7mm is a growing market place and if your not sure about demand. How about a crowd funded (Kickstart) project that is limited to those who commit. That way there is an incentive to go for it, our money is guaranteed only to be taken if you reach your target, and you guys know your not throwing money away. Bar for the odd changes for 7mm, i.e. Adding 3 links etc... looks like you've done all the hard work.

Rich

my trains suffer from this, drooping and coupler deflection that can play havoc when I try and set back into the yard.

Yes droop can be an issue. However unless we want a wide loop like the old days then cammed couplers are the only option I am afraid. They will mean pipes can't be fitted (when the coupler is in the pocket) but the design of the cam looks stiff enough to minimise droop so hopefully that won't be an issue. I would have preferred a fixed loop but physics just wouldn't allow it unless on very large curves, again though we do have to cater for a RTR market that may want to run 1st or 2nd radius. If the cam is an issue and your curves are such that the cam is of no use then the cam can always be glued centrally allowing no swing or droop to the NEM pocket.

In this livery - I'll put the cash up now! 7mm is a growing market place and if your not sure about demand. How about a crowd funded (Kickstart) project that is limited to those who commit. That way there is an incentive to go for it, our money is guaranteed only to be taken if you reach your target, and you guys know your not throwing money away. Bar for the odd changes for 7mm, i.e. Adding 3 links etc... looks like you've done all the hard work.

Rich

Your request makes sense but as a block freight wagon I am not sure on the true demand by 7mm modellers, but I will agree it would be stunning. As it stands the current plan it to produce it in 4mm with 2mm to follow. Beyond that the future is more fluid.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Ok you got me before you added to KPA to the picture! i'll go for a few Redlands to mix up my rake. I was debating altering some of my older PGAs to look like these anyway. (I really must get on with my KPA conversions, got as far as transfer artwork but no further)

post-9147-0-47906600-1483688397.jpg

• Like 1

Rich

Hi Rich, as Cav has said it is very difficult to gauge the demand for a PGA in 7mm. Whilst there is no doubt that it would be very nice in that scale, the size of layout required to accommodate a decent size rake might limit demand for such a model. However, we have been considering the possibility of offering a 3D printed version may be in kit form.That might prove a better option in the future for a 7mm version, subject to cost of course.

• Like 1

Ok you got me before you added to KPA to the picture! i'll go for a few Redlands to mix up my rake. I was debating altering some of my older PGAs to look like these anyway. (I really must get on with my KPA conversions, got as far as transfer artwork but no further)

attachicon.gifpost-7236-0-14448100-1475596404_thumb.jpg

We look forward to seeing some PGAs with your KPA conversions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, as Cav has said it is very difficult to gauge the demand for a PGA in 7mm. Whilst there is no doubt that it would be very nice in that scale, the size of layout required to accommodate a decent size rake might limit demand for such a model. However, we have been considering the possibility of offering a 3D printed version may be in kit form.That might prove a better option in the future for a 7mm version, subject to cost of course.

Can totally agree with your view, and I think a lot of modellers forget that all these things are businesses that don't work on 'nice to haves' they have to generate the income to return the investment. That's why I suggested a Kickstarter idea for the RTR 7mm option - gives the community the opportunity to safely put their money where their mouth is. If it works everyone wins, if it doesn't, its answered the question and nobody has lost out.

Just my two penneth anyway!

Rich

attachicon.gifpost-7236-0-14448100-1475596404_thumb.jpg

Of course, us n gaugers already have a lovely kit available from the NGS for the KPA, so I just need the n gauge PGAs now, please, pretty please. :-)

Scott

• Like 1

Good evening,

We just wanted to provide an update on our PGA project.

Further information regarding the next stage of the process will be released shortly including the ordering process and how it will work.

We will be updating the website and social media with the relevant information.

• Like 2

Hi Cav

I looked at doing SPA in 7mm but it worked out 400-450 sales before I would get a return on investment.

I was never sure I could sell that many but now with class 08 and 03/05 on there way it might be worth thinking about one day?

Hugh

Hi Hugh, 

Certainly worth looking at if you can do them for similar price to the Dapol wagons due out this year.

All the best Peter.

Hi Hugh, 

Certainly worth looking at if you can do them for similar price to the Dapol wagons due out this year.

All the best Peter.

Hi Peter

I could no way match Dapol even I am waiting for HEA,s to come out at that price? 

Even 3D printing on any 7mm wagon would be expensive for Cavalex or Myself.(could end up a lot of hassle for very little return) 

Hugh

• RMweb Gold

A nice train to model.

May be a Heljan class 60 on seven 7mm PGAs.......

Well we have the 60 ... all depends on somebody producing the wagons ;) hint hint :). Nice video tho.

Rich

Thought that this might be of interest, at the start of the clip there is some footage of a Construction sector class 60 leaving Toton yard on a short rake of Redland PGAs;

https://youtu.be/ikzwR4t9G9Q

A nice train to model.

May be a Heljan class 60 on seven 7mm PGAs.......

I think that video was taken from the footbridge at this spot. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=449147&y=334317&z=115&sv=449147,334317&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=892&ax=449147&ay=334317&lm=0

Regards

Hi Alex,

I'm interested in placing a small order. Are you able to say who you are partnering with to produce these please?

Many thanks,

Guy

Hello Guy

its Cav (RBE) of Millers Dale and Burton on Trent fame. Oh and a few before that as well.

Cheers

Marcus

Edit.. Just thought, you mean manufacturer don't you. Still half asleep I'm afraid. Doh :fool:

Edited by Marcus 37

Hi Guy, we aren't partnering with any of manufacturers we are dealing direct with the factory in china to produce the wagon for us.

I don't wish to drop any names at this stage but needless to say they are a very experienced high quality manufacturer of model railways and do supply to other companies in the industry.

• Like 1