Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Was there a good turnout at the show Graham ?

Seemed a steady flow of visitors all day. 
A very nice little show and a pleasure to exhibit at. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andrew D said:

It was great to meet a railway modelling celebrity and see Canute Road Quay in the flesh Graham! Thanks for taking the time to chat. 

Hi Andrew, 

I'm hardly a celebrity, but it was lovely to meet you, and always happy to make time to chat. Thank you for stopping by I hope you enjoyed the exhibition. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colour perception, especially with models, is an often debated topic especially when manufacturers occasionally, and some more than others, appear to get it wrong. There can be several reasons why colours on models do not always appear correct. In this post I look at some of the issues and reasons that can influence getting colours correct. Click the link to read on...

https://southern-railway.com/2022/05/22/any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-its-sr-goods-wagon-brown-the-hues-and-lows-of-colour-perception/

Rapido-2.jpg.6d0cf63715b786d97dbd197e9d1949f8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A fascinating read, thank you Graham. I was amazed at the 'finger test'! 

While I recognise that you are talking about 'ex works' wagons, and SR probably kept its fleet in a good state, one thing I've noticed when looking at colour images of BR stock in the 60s is the effect of sun bleaching etc. Not to mention the less stable pigments in paint back in those times. These are my excuses for differing shades of brown on my BR stock ;)  But wouldn't it be great if all the manufacturers could use the correct colour to start with? Cheers. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew D said:

A fascinating read, thank you Graham. I was amazed at the 'finger test'! 

While I recognise that you are talking about 'ex works' wagons, and SR probably kept its fleet in a good state, one thing I've noticed when looking at colour images of BR stock in the 60s is the effect of sun bleaching etc. Not to mention the less stable pigments in paint back in those times. These are my excuses for differing shades of brown on my BR stock ;)  But wouldn't it be great if all the manufacturers could use the correct colour to start with? Cheers. 

Thanks, I am glad you liked the finger illustration. 

Indeed I was referring to ex works liveries, and I am aware of the fact that there would have been some variation between batches and works but not to the extend of some of the errors on models we have seen. With colour scaling the effect would be actually less prominent in model form.

I also agree that getting the base colour correct to start with makes a sensible starting point for weathering etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The best example of a "problem colour " I can think of is the "blood" of "blood and custard" — there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether it is Carmine or crimson or whatever. Models have varied widely in depicting this colour, from near maroon to a very bright orange-red colour. And photos of coaches from the period show a wide range of colours too…

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The best example of a "problem colour " I can think of is the "blood" of "blood and custard" — there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether it is Carmine or crimson or whatever. Models have varied widely in depicting this colour, from near maroon to a very bright orange-red colour. And photos of coaches from the period show a wide range of colours too…

Well there is a correct official BS paint reference, BS381C 540, for the BR Crimson (blood) as painted when new but of course this colour was prone to fading and as you say there have been various model paint variations created since.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

@Graham_Muzwhere were the west country locos allocated? Cheers 

Do you mean the rebuilt E1Rs as they were allocated to either Exmouth Junction or Barnstable, the furthest west the e1s got was Eastleigh and Southampton.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Do you mean the rebuilt E1Rs as they were allocated to either Exmouth Junction or Barnstable, the furthest west the e1s got was Eastleigh and Southampton.

Yes, but I guess these aren't being produced... yet?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes, but I guess these aren't being produced... yet?

No I do not believe there is any intention at the moment to produce the E1/Rs,  the differences are such it would be a completely different set of tooling from the E1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Knocking up a few period vehicles this morning,  the excellent resin kits from https://www.roadtransportimages.com/

#austinK2 #bedfordKV  still further painting to do,  a step by step guide will be posted in the future.

ABD8E0E6-2CFF-4E25-9ABE-26077DD43A40.jpeg.7dacc416ae4c911d512a203057aacd58.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay is on the road again in a couple of weeks and is appearing on Saturday 20th August 2022 at the Silverfox DCC MRC exhibition being held at the Oakgrove School, Venturer Gate, Milton Keynes MK10 9JQ

https://silverfoxdcc.co.uk/exhibitions/

It is good to be at exhibitions again, especially as many Model Railway Clubs/Societies have lost such valuable income from the lack of exhibitions during the pandemic,  so if you are able to visit the show, and support the Silverfox DCC MRC, please drop by Canute Road Quay and say hello.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2022 at 13:25, Graham_Muz said:

No I do not believe there is any intention at the moment to produce the E1/Rs,  the differences are such it would be a completely different set of tooling from the E1.

As a Brighton enthusiast I have never found the E1R to be an attractive rebuild, although they seem to have been relatively successful and long-lived in traffic. And my model of Beaworthy (a pale imitation of  Halwill Junction) would certainly benefit from use of one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...