Iowa Central Railway

JAMO

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for taking the trouble to show that job. It all makes good sense. Now I know what bits and makes to look out for, and try that on my heap of junk when I can find time. The thing about Alco switchers that turns me on is the Blunt trucks. The steel company of Wales had them at Margam, and I thought they looked great, like nothing else around. Like you say, Jordan, those Lionel wheels, nooooo!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What about running the private grain track into the middle track of the three over a diamond crossing??

Edit: just checked to see how far you've got with your track. This end is still in progress, n'est ce pas?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

Jack

For some reason that track with the 44t on , has me wondering, how many cars will you be pulling on the private grain track, not going to be a lot of room if you've cars at the oil/coal dealers, just a thought!

Ray

Must admit a similar thought - when you've got the Elevator & silos on the board already, why the 'private grain track' would lead to the Fuel distributor?

I would operate it as an Interchange between Class 1 & Shortline; swap the Fuel & the old Depot over, so all Industry is on one spur. Also make the 'private line' the incoming Class 1, & the other the Shortline (as drawn) to switch the Industry track & set out cars to exchange. Comprehende? ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

Jack

For some reason that track with the 44t on , has me wondering, how many cars will you be pulling on the private grain track, not going to be a lot of room if you've cars at the oil/coal dealers, just a thought!

Ray

You're right Ray.

But it gives me more interesting operating possibilities.

What about running the private grain track into the middle track of the three over a diamond crossing??

Edit: just checked to see how far you've got with your track. This end is still in progress, n'est ce pas?

I don't want a diamond crossing.

Ohhh, I still have a lot of work to finish the layout but the trackplan is going well.

Edited by JAMO

I don't want a diamond crossing.

I agree a diamond wouldn't be that prototypical either.

Having the Depot on the other side of the tracks to the industries is also more prototypical, at least for the Mid West. It's where the phrase "wrong side of the tracks" originates, apparently.

Edited by F-UnitMad

Must admit a similar thought - when you've got the Elevator & silos on the board already, why the 'private grain track' would lead to the Fuel distributor?

I would operate it as an Interchange between Class 1 & Shortline; swap the Fuel & the old Depot over, so all Industry is on one spur. Also make the 'private line' the incoming Class 1, & the other the Shortline (as drawn) to switch the Industry track & set out cars to exchange. Comprehende? ;)

Yes I undestand. It can be good too.

All these ideas give me ideas and more... I like to trackplan. I'll be happy to do  this with you (all).

;)

I agree a diamond wouldn't be that prototypical either.

And I have built 4 turnouts at this time. I would like to use these turnouts and don't build another device more.

I have 2x #6 (left and right hand) and 2x #5 (left and right hand).

My original idea:

The main line isn't a Class 1 but the Iowa Central shortline (blue line on the sketch).

The private lane is owned by a big grain company. They have their own MDT (orange line on the sketch).

But the idea to make a Class 1 line (blue track) and the Iowa Central on the orange line is a good idea.

Before to decide for my track plan: to change or not to change, I take some time to check.

By the way here is a video of the making of my two flat cars. I've used cardboard, bristol, styrene, brass and wood...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts on changing your staging yard from a sector table to a traverser?? Would you say sector is easier to build? Or is it getting the run-off geometry better? I do like the flat car construction, great craftsmanship.

Edited by Northroader

I've decided to continue my layout following the original idea.

I'll build another one for exhibitions later.

So, coming back to my project, I've put off the wooden plank under the track to save space for my hands and obviously for the scenery.

Before:

gallery_27876_4092_90266.jpg

After some work... 

After to have put off the wooden planks under the track, I've screwed the track with pieces of wood. Now the track is strong.

gallery_27876_4092_134622.jpg

I use old pieces of wood which have still served for several previous layouts

gallery_27876_4092_142721.jpg

Two screws between the sleepers...

gallery_27876_4092_111555.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_55345.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_57427.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_140224.jpg

The GE-44 motors are still roaring.

In the foreground, the bench track is under construction.

gallery_27876_4092_89211.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you Daniel!

Yes, I'll continue to show the progress on the layout. My work isn't perfect but I have a lot of fun with modeling and I like to share my work here.

I'm not far to see a train running. Of course, I'll make a video to share with you and with all the enthusiasts.

The next step will be to make the switch to change the polarity of the turnouts' frogs. Stay tuned...

;)

• Like 1

Thank you Jordan. Yes the blades stay against the stock rails. The Caboose Hobbies ground throw have an internal spring. That's very useful. But with the switch to change the polarity of the frog, it's not important if the blade don't make a contact. That's the switch which works. The electricity contact is reliable. I do that on all of my layouts from N to O.

I've tried to make something simple and reliable for years but I need to have access for future maintenance.

I begin by choosing a small nice piece of 5 mm plywood

gallery_27876_4092_62978.jpg

I don't use small screws to fix the switch: I use a copper wire. It's stronger because the screws have only 5 mm thickness.

gallery_27876_4092_130259.jpg

On the back, I solder the two copper ends together.

gallery_27876_4092_29031.jpg

I use two pieces of a brass tube and some code 100 rail, soldered together. I fix this part with metal wire and solder like the switch.

gallery_27876_4092_36649.jpg

And I use a code 75 rail and a square piece of 1 mm rod to make the slider

gallery_27876_4092_132861.jpg

The rod will be connected in the PCB between the blades.

I make long holes to screw the piece under the layout.

The code 75 rail push the switch and the frog will change of polarity.

gallery_27876_4092_81429.jpg

Once installed and adjusted, I've just to connect the 2 stock rail feeders (L and R) and the frog on the common.

gallery_27876_4092_18551.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_92600.jpg

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 3

I've began to wire the frogs and the whole 1st part of the layout. Today, I've completed 70% of the layout. I hope to run the first trains by tomorrow afternoon!

I don't use "chocolate blocks" to connect the wires. I prefer to solder the wires together with the help of unexpensive pieces of code 100 rail. The contacts are perfects.

Photos are better than a long speech...

gallery_27876_4092_50550.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_24426.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_83852.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_90264.jpg

gallery_27876_4092_115857.jpg

And a little of information about this switch:

The switch helps to decide what controller I'll use on a special part of the track: the curve which connects the yard to the shortline.

Switch on the left:   the curve will be powered by the yard controller.

Switch on the center:    no current on the track (I'll can stop a locomotive here).

Switch on the right:    the curve will be connected to the right controler.

The switch isn't definitively installed. I'll put it on the fascia on the layout later.

gallery_27876_4092_137402.jpg

• Like 3