Benidorm - Denia line FGV Costa Blanca

Pete 75C

I think the loco's name probably refers to the big rock in Calp (Calpe) known as Peñon de Ifach, often thought of as the Costa Blanca's "mini Gibraltar".

post-17811-0-40649700-1480168012.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a shame if the Calpe to Denia section is closed.

The Benidorm to Alicante section was upgraded several years ago with EU money, I always thought it strange they didn't do the whole line.

We have used this quite a bit over the years, Denia is always a lovely place for lunch.

Edited by Neal Ball

It looks like work on the line to Denia is going ahead.

Acording to this news item, work should have started during November on the stations up to Teulada with the civil engineering works starting in June 2017.

At the moment the tender for the Teulada - Denia section is in preparation and is to be adjudicated in September 2017.

That is good news. I only managed to ride the line between Altea/Benidorm and back recently. Next time, I'll take a trip to Calpe and will hopefully be able to go right through to Denia in the future. Even though we decided not to go ahead with the house we viewed for a second time last month, we're still keen on this area, and the tram/train does seem to be an excellent way to get around. The station is quite a way back from the beach in Benidorm but it still only took us 20mins to walk down. Folk were swiping what looked like an Oyster-type card on board the train, so I guess you can prepay for a discount.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame if the Calpe to Denia section is closed.

The Benidorm to Alicante section was upgraded several years ago with EU money, I always thought it strange they didn't do the whole line.

We have used this quite a bit over the years, Denia is always a lovely place for lunch.

When did the Calpe to Denia section close?

I was on holiday there two years ago and had trip from Denia to Altea, it was still running then and well used.

That section of line is quite stunning through some very rugged terrain.

• Like 1

It looks like work on the line to Denia is going ahead.

Acording to this news item, work should have started during November on the stations up to Teulada with the civil engineering works starting in June 2017.

At the moment the tender for the Teulada - Denia section is in preparation and is to be adjudicated in September 2017.

I hope it's completed and opened faster than ( the farce that is ) Corvera Airport near us !!

Brian R

• Like 1

When did the Calpe to Denia section close?

I was on holiday there two years ago and had trip from Denia to Altea, it was still running then and well used.

I didn't know about it until Mike mentioned it earlier in the thread, but according to the Tram website, that section closed on 28th July 2016.

• RMweb Premium

I too didn't know. I guess it's about 3 or 4 years since we have been to Denia.

It would be good if they extended the tram further south to Torrevieja. But I guess the cost would be prohibitive.

We stayed in Mascarat (between Altea and Calpe) for 10 days back in late October. Not somewhere I'd ever been to before. Stunning sea views all the way back along the coast past Altea to the high rises of Benidorm. You could follow the progress of the diesel train each way every hour along the hillside (below).

post-17811-0-10242500-1480663353.jpg

The line disappeared through this big rock directly behind us.

post-17811-0-97878500-1480663353.jpg

Son and I went for a hike to try and get some decent terrain pictures from ground level but this was as far as we could get. Presumably a dry river bed, it was strewn with fallen rocks. Some no doubt from historic landslides but most presumably from work on the coast road/motorway. Most of the rocks were loose but we pressed on and only gave up when we encountered a boulder the size of a house that seemed to be balancing on a pebble. Sod's law dictates it would have shifted had I tried to get past it...

post-17811-0-94068700-1480663354.jpg

So yes, rugged terrain indeed. All in all, a spectacular coastline and one can only imagine the difficulties of building the line a hundred years ago. There would have been machinery, but nothing like we're used to seeing today. Hats off to the builders.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

I hope it's completed and opened faster than ( the farce that is ) Corvera Airport near us !!

Brian R

Brian. I pressed the smiley button basically ´cos the situation is laughable.

Denia will be reached before Corvera opens for sure.

Of course, if you look at it from a twisted perspective, by not opening it, atleast they are saving it from closure!!!!

Probably save themselves money too. :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Is Corvera the new airport for Murcia?

Absolutely no idea, sorry.

I remember a few years ago, the Top Gear lads racing around an airport in Spain that had a large cross painted on the runway to stop planes landing. That airport had been open, albeit briefly, then mothballed. Will have to find out what one that was.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely no idea, sorry.

I remember a few years ago, the Top Gear lads racing around an airport in Spain that had a large cross painted on the runway to stop planes landing. That airport had been open, albeit briefly, then mothballed. Will have to find out what one that was.

That was sold last year and I think is towards Madrid. But they were until recently building a number of airports, one of which was demolished and never opened. Years after the recession - simply ran out of money!

That was sold last year and I think is towards Madrid. But they were until recently building a number of airports, one of which was demolished and never opened. Years after the recession - simply ran out of money!

I've not seen the Top Gear episode but it sounds like it's maybe Ciudad Real Airport otherwise known as Madrid Sur. Only 160km from Madrid.

Teruel is now a graveyard for various Russian planes but also fits the bill.

Albacete, Lérida or Huesca airports make Murcia San Javier look like Heathrow.

• 2 weeks later...

As a postscript to the news item that Andy posted back in Post #28, I found this and had a read-through thanks to Google Translate:

http://www.eldiario.es/cv/alicante/Consell-tramo-Calp-Teulada-prolongarlo-Denia_0_586192267.html

The one thing that I didn't know was that the line is planned to reopen in stages. Calpe - Teulada in 2018 and reaching Denia in 2019. I'm pretty sure these timescales are "best-case scenario" and that we perhaps shouldn't hold our breath.

post-17811-0-04789200-1482914449.jpg

Image © http://www.eldiario.es/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow! In total they are spending 17.5 million euros upgrading the line.

The section Calpe to Teulada going to tender in Jan 2017 with a view to having it operational by mid 2018. Although the article or the translation is a bit confusing as it also talks about a section Teulada to Gata.

Automatic train protection is going to be incorporated as well. The local politicians are blaming 20 years of underinvestment.

• Like 1

Wow! In total they are spending 17.5 million euros upgrading the line.

The section Calpe to Teulada going to tender in Jan 2017 with a view to having it operational by mid 2018. Although the article or the translation is a bit confusing as it also talks about a section Teulada to Gata.

Automatic train protection is going to be incorporated as well. The local politicians are blaming 20 years of underinvestment.

That ties in with something I read earlier this year. The figure quoted then was around 20 million euros needed for the upgrade. Speculation at the time was that there was no way that amount of money would be forthcoming and that the closure beyond Calpe could become permanent. I guess the moral of the story is look after your infrastructure and maintain it as and when needed.

As an aside, I've only recently ridden the line between Altea and Benidorm. Aside from the stations looking tidy and the infrastructure appearing to be in very good order (that section has recently had money spent on it), I was struck by just how busy the trains were. As well as a good selection of tourists, most folk were swiping their passes on board, so the locals appear to make good use of the service.

A constant gripe I hear is how the station in Benidorm is too far away from the beaches to be of much use. I'd have to disagree with that. A brisk 20 minute walk gets you from the station down into the old town and the beginning of Levante beach.

The electrified tram section from Benidorm down to Alicante appears to be very well used, so lets hope the trend continues with the non-electrified section. Should we end up buying a property around Altea, I'll certainly use it, partly because of my dislike of buses.

Ultimately, when the entire non-electrified section of the line is open, I wonder if anyone will have the balls (and the cash) to speculate reinstating the Limon Express?

• RMweb Premium

I think there is huge potential about running a Limon Express - but tourists today would not put up with the very basic stock. It would need to be modern, air conditioned, maybe as an evening dining train, with food and drink on board.

My understanding of the old Limon express was that they were open carriages with wooden seats, the only thing that made it special was the fact that it ran at night.

Over the years there have been stories about extending the tram down to Torrievieja. It would be a long journey, but lovely if it was to hug the coast.

Its a shame when the Orihuela line was upgraded (Cartegena to Alicante) that the old branch to Torreievja was not reinstated.

• RMweb Gold

Depending on which local report you read, I can confirm and deny everything already written. Work is going ahead, so things are happening, but as there is a degree of suspicion and non co-operation between local and regional authorities, anything could and probably will happen.

Factor in the coastal mainline plans to incorporate Benidorm into a high speed network between Alicante and Valencia, which ebb and flow depending on political will, then the whole transport scenario down here becomes very interesting.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I think there is huge potential about running a Limon Express - but tourists today would not put up with the very basic stock. It would need to be modern, air conditioned, maybe as an evening dining train, with food and drink on board.

My understanding of the old Limon express was that they were open carriages with wooden seats, the only thing that made it special was the fact that it ran at night.

Over the years there have been stories about extending the tram down to Torrievieja. It would be a long journey, but lovely if it was to hug the coast.

Its a shame when the Orihuela line was upgraded (Cartegena to Alicante) that the old branch to Torreievja was not reinstated.

There are plenty of tourist railways where visitors enjoy very rustic old rolling stock, sometimes for quite long journeys. Also see the Douro Valley steam train each Saturday which is quite a long run and manages to fit in with quite a busy passenger and freight service on a single track route.

Not sure if that is the right part of Spain to support a more luxury offering with aircon, meals, etc.

There are plenty of tourist railways where visitors enjoy very rustic old rolling stock, sometimes for quite long journeys. Also see the Douro Valley steam train each Saturday which is quite a long run and manages to fit in with quite a busy passenger and freight service on a single track route.

Not sure if that is the right part of Spain to support a more luxury offering with aircon, meals, etc.

My bold. I tend to agree. To appeal to most Benidorm holidaymakers, any excursion would need to be cheap if not free! Not that I'm being judgmental... I'm guilty of walking past about 20 bars back in October to find a pint for €1.10...

• 10 months later...

Spotted this in the news yesterday, apologies for the rough translation. Dated 13th November.

Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat Valenciana (FGV) has informed the town councils of Calpe and Teulada that the public company will shortly begin the renovation of the track and refurbishment of the infrastructure of Line 9 of the TRAM d'Alacant (Benidorm-Dénia), between the stations of these two populations.

The meetings held between the director of FGV in Alicante, Pilar García Reche, and the second deputy mayor of Calpe, Ana Sala, and the mayor of Teulada, Carlos Llinares, have served to explain the details of the work that will not affect the current layout . The budget for this action amounts to 16.3 million euros and the execution period is 12 months, including actions in tunnels, bridges and structures on the line.

FGV plans to renew the Quisi and Ferrandet bridges in Benissa and those located on the N-332 road in Teulada and Gata de Gorgos. In particular, the boards of the two bridges will be replaced and repairs will be made, ensuring the functionality of these metal structures. The previous actions will consist of signalling operations, dismantling of track and railway installations on bridges.

These actions are part of the work to modernize Line 9 linking Benidorm and Dénia. The joint budget exceeds 130 million euros and the deadlines to recover the rail traffic between Calp and Dénia in 2019 are being met, as planned.

FGV has also explained to the municipalities of Calpe and Teulada that, once completed, six new diesel-electric dual-propulsion trains will be procured for this line.

I'm certainly delighted that progress is ongoing, but I'm left wondering if the 6 new trains are to replace current stock (which I think is a rebuild of a rebuild), or are meant to provide an increased frequency once Dénia is reopened?

Edited by Pete 75C

OK, yet again, Google (Translate) is my friend...

A little digging reveals that the 6 new units have already been ordered. The contract for 43 million Euros has been awarded to Stadler in Albuixech, Valencia. These new units will have much improved accessibility over the existing ones, and being dual-powered, will be able to work in Tram mode over the electrified section between Benidorm and Alicante if required.

Edited by Pete 75C