Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

I only collect prototypes and first of class so I will have to buy two for renumbering to 001 and 101. £170 each though is a bit steep for static shelf queens. Need unpowered versions for us that never put them on a powered track.

Drive trains in locos cost very little in the grand scheme of things in China. Leaving them out would only save a couple of pounds. The price reflects high detail and the labour involved in producing it.

Haven't they already done 010 in Swallow as a bastardised Limby release...? (or was it a proposal that was never released?). 34 and a half to choose from, so why duplicate.

How "final" is that EP...? The blower grilles look to have had the same treatment as the Heljan one, it they appeared on a real loco like that NR would declare them out of gauge until a route clearance assessment was evaluated...

I'm no expert on 87s, but the cab front windows seem a little small to me. The frame around it (above) is quite large but not sure if the space is as big as shown on this sample. But a sample is what it is, not the finished item.

Haven't they already done 010 in Swallow as a bastardised Limby release...? (or was it a proposal that was never released?). 34 and a half to choose from, so why duplicate.

How "final" is that EP...? The blower grilles look to have had the same treatment as the Heljan one, it they appeared on a real loco like that NR would declare them out of gauge until a route clearance assessment was evaluated...

£170 pretty steep but I will be getting at least one.  Would like an unnamed BR Blue.  Would have been happy enough with the Railroad one actually as didn't mind the ex-Lima 'Britannia' from 2007 but well done Hornby for taking the plunge.

Just need a decent new 86 now.

I'm no expert on 87s, but the cab front windows seem a little small to me. The frame around it (above) is quite large but not sure if the space is as big as shown on this sample. But a sample is what it is, not the finished item.

The line across the top of the windscreens looks too low on their complete loco, but the look of the "face" isn't as bad on the larger sample of the cab, so it might just be a case of the surrounds being too pronounced.

Dear Hornby,

Re your announcement of the Class 87.

Overjoyed as I am that you've finally woken up to the fact some of your potential customers like to run things that don't boil water, there is one slight snag to spoil the day.

​To whom at Hornby should I direct my bill for cleaning all the underwear I've despoiled having read the news?

​Yours,

W. Ombat.

Asked about pantographs and they said that cross arm one will be sprung but single arm probably just poseable.

Did they say whether they used works drawings, or scanned one of the remaining locos...? Another area to watch out for are the roof vents, they originally had two but their model only has one at the pan end, which is how most locos ended up as they became damaged so the holes were just plated over. It looks better than the original Lima effort, which looked like a square mushroom and was quite useful for detailing building roofs once replaced.

Did they say whether they used works drawings, or scanned one of the remaining locos...? Another area to watch out for are the roof vents, they originally had two but their model only has one at the pan end, which is how most locos ended up as they became damaged so the holes were just plated over. It looks better than the original Lima effort, which looked like a square mushroom and was quite useful for detailing building roofs once replaced.

I'm afraid I didn't ask detailed questions. Just delighted with the announcement and to see the pre production sample.

I await comments from others more qualified in due course.

Is that an O gauge Class 87 cab in the background?

Any explanation for that?

I wonder...do I wait for a Virgin Trains or Porterbrook one? Or get an Intercity one?

Hornby have stupidly going for the same intercity example as the last 87 they released a few years ago, 87010. Is there a reason why Hornby do this? The Limby 87010 will probably get sold off cheap second hand because of this. I may actually keep mine and hold off on the new 87 for a Virgin one.

Have I read it right that on 'The Engine Shed' blog it says that models announced today (including the 87) will be available Jan - March 2017 ?

Paul

No fraid not. The list is said to show all new models announced on The Engine Shed and at Warley, which will be produced during the calendar year and releases of existing models in new liveries due to be released in the first quarter. If you click on the new items it gives more details of the estimated release dates, they are in Quarter 3 or 4.

BR blue for me, hopefully they'll do 87012 in the original version of what would become executive livery.

its the executive livery I really want but initially ill bag a blue one.  hopefully they'll allow modellers to buy pans as spares so you can upgrade an early 87 with the high speed pan.