Bachmann/TMC 22T Double Bolster and Plate Wagons

Garethp8873

Whilst in the Members Lounge today at Warley, I happened to gaze upon these deightul new 22T Double Bolster wagons which are being made in collaboration with Bachmann and The Model Centre. If they're coming out in Grouping liveries I can see some making an appearence on the layout... :)

post-605-0-52080100-1480184975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 6

Was a very unexpected surprise to see them too GreenGiraffe22. Alongside my happiness with the Hornby SR Cattle wagons and forthcoming GWR Toads, I am looking forward to seeing this wagon and what liveries are planned... :)

Edited by Garethp8873

Well anyone thinking of Tynedock/ Consett with steel plate and Q6's with hoppers I think these will fit in very nicely leaving the steel works! I wonder if they will do the Parkside style versions with trestle as well! Could make a great couple of trains when combined with 9F's Q7's Q6's.... no doubt TMC have at least a couple of these in thought!

Edited by DougN

The Parkside kit has been in production for many years and is showing its age! It should have been retooled many years ago to improve it to the standard/detail of later kits!

Mark Saunders

I've converted several of the Parkside kits to vac-fitted examples of both BR and LNER types. Whilst I found the bodywork reasonable, the solebars seemed too shallow, and the W-irons were wrong for later wagons. Perhaps more obviously, the brackets that supported the outer edges of the floor are absent.

I have several of the PD Double Bolsters myself as they were originally going to get refurbished but now will be sold on. Also I don't think it would've been easy to put on the HMRS transfers so the TMC have actually helped me big time. Pleased as well that they've chosen this version and not the LMS Bolster Wagon D1674 done by SlimRails as I am currently having one refurbished...!! :)

ANOTHER Parkside kit they've ripped off .................................... STOP IT Bachmann, have some bloody integrity !! :nono:

Edit: sorry, already noted above but I'm still registering my pissed-offness .....................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Parkside kit has been in production for many years and is showing its age! It should have been retooled many years ago to improve it to the standard/detail of later kits!

Mark Saunders

It maybe long in the tooth and I take your point about retooling but in my opinion any reasonably skilled modeller could knock one out to the same standard as those on display above.

Griff

• Agree 1

It maybe long in the tooth and I take your point about retooling but in my opinion any reasonably skilled modeller could knock one out to the same standard as those on display above.

Griff

If the same was said of every long in the tooth/tired kit then the Airfix and early Ian Kirk/Parkside kits would be all the world wanted!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

... are they not. I have some minerals on my workbench. They are getting some tasty Masokits brake parts and they should dress up nicely into some 8 shoe AVB wagons (the most common type of vacuumed 16T) yet not one produced by the manufacturers. It's a sad and lonely life being a railway modeller. All this self flagellation, building kits like these is akin to being a monk. I call it fun ;)

• Like 2

Is this tooling owned by TMC or just a period of Exclusive release for first models? I remember in the Summer in Rail Express Bachmann stated they were to stop producing exclusive models for others as it was delaying their own releases. I think they said the Kernow 4tc was to be the last?

• RMweb Premium

Is this tooling owned by TMC or just a period of Exclusive release for first models? I remember in the Summer in Rail Express Bachmann stated they were to stop producing exclusive models for others as it was delaying their own releases. I think they said the Kernow 4tc was to be the last?

I've been surprised that after Bachmann stated they weren't going to do commissions for others, a number have been announced. There is Kernow's 4TC, TMC's over rail signal box and I think several others. I suspect Bachmann's intention applies for the future, so they can concentrate on their own products and avoid the long gestation period of some of these, but they had a number of commissioned projects already in the pipeline.

I think the double bolster wagon is one of these. I first heard about it in June 2015 when visiting TMC - here we are 17 months later and it has just been announced! But seeing those photographs above - it is worth the wait!

John Storey

I don't see how this is 'ripping off' Parkside; All TMC/Bachmann have is exactly what Parkside did, namely to choose to model a wagon which will be popular and sell well. I have constructed several Parkside Double Bolster and Plate wagons, but it is a time consuming process, not helped by having to buy, as well as the kit, paint, transfers, and nowadays metal wheels, as Parkside now supply plastic wheels. 

I don't see how this is 'ripping off' Parkside; All TMC/Bachmann have is exactly what Parkside did, namely to choose to model a wagon which will be popular and sell well. I have constructed several Parkside Double Bolster and Plate wagons, but it is a time consuming process, not helped by having to buy, as well as the kit, paint, transfers, and nowadays metal wheels, as Parkside now supply plastic wheels.

When did Parkside resume the supply of plastic wheels?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

From Parkside Dundas website home page (My italics and underline)

00 Gauge 4mm Scale

Our kits have plastic parts made in top quality material, manufactured to our specification. Where ever possible components are moulded in the same colour as the prototype part. Romford wheels, with brass bearings are included as standard. However we will glady exchange these for Alan Gibson wheels in 00, EM or 18.83, subject of course to availability.

Can anyone point to a quick history of these wagons? I think they are originally an LNER design?

John Storey

Correct John, the wagon is a LNER design built under Diagram 168 between 1942 and 1946 at Darlington and Shildon Works of which 1250 were built in total.

1942 Darlington 500 250398-897

1943 Darlington 200 260148-347

1944 Darlington 200 265700-899

1945 Shildon    100 278279-378

1946 Shildon    250 286259-508

Edited by Garethp8873

caradoc, on 29 Nov 2016 - 13:32, said:

I don't see how this is 'ripping off' Parkside; All TMC/Bachmann have is exactly what Parkside did, namely to choose to model a wagon which will be popular and sell well. I

There are a few different variants they could have done - welded, vac braked etc rather than the exact same version. For some of their vans and opens there are several variants, some more common, and they still did the same one as Parkside.