Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

When are you taking orders for the East Midlands 156?

We have to get the ScotRail versions sorted first, as we have no intention of taking deposits/orders for things we have not even started yet.  Suggest you send an e.mail to customerservices@realtrack.co.uk with your 'Intention of Interest'.  It will be logged with the others on there who have shown an interest.

These Liveries (EMT & Provincial) will be put on the website during 1st Quarter 2017, and a ordering system like we currently have during the 2nd Quarter.

Charlie

• Like 1

People keep asking about the 156 and why its going to be better than current models, well that's an easy question.

The Analogue version on the website currently is limited on the electrical side, so we have adopted the standard Cab Front & Rear Bi-Directional Lighting, then within the vehicle we will have full coach lighting, permanently lit while track power is applied. 

The underfloor detailing is something else!, makes the Class 144 & 143 models 'Boring' we have made the underfloor detailing 'Probably the best in the World'.  You will be amazed when you see it.

The research put into the model is measured in years, not months, with depot visits, 3D scanning and actual measurements taken by hand and a full photographic survey.

This effort was rewarded by the response in our recent press launch!

post-3411-0-37956800-1481739512.jpg

• Like 4

People keep asking about the 156 and why its going to be better than current models, well that's an easy question.

The Analogue version on the website currently is limited on the electrical side, so we have adopted the standard Cab Front & Rear Bi-Directional Lighting, then within the vehicle we will have full coach lighting, permanently lit while track power is applied. 

The underfloor detailing is something else!, makes the Class 144 & 143 models 'Boring' we have made the underfloor detailing 'Probably the best in the World'.  You will be amazed when you see it.

The research put into the model is measured in years, not months, with depot visits, 3D scanning and actual measurements taken by hand and a full photographic survey.

This effort was rewarded by the response in our recent press launch!

There are people who still think the world is flat so it shouldn't surprise anyone that people are asking "what's new".

To be honest, the underframe detail is a big enough difference, add in the hopefully much better drive system than the current offering, and the lighting and detailed interior and it becomes a no-brainer.  The other positive side is as those of us able to afford to update to the new model offload our old Lima-Hornby hybrids those happy with the current model or who fancy a bit of modelling with the current bodyshell can buy our oldies through well known on-line auction sites for probably not a lot of pounds, which if you are modelling on a budget is a win of sorts.

Suggestion for Bif:  First time I went on a 156 when still smelling of paint, from Nuneaton to Norwich, I sat next to the "Tardis" toilet which, having wheelchair friendly buttons, one for open, one for close and one to lock, caused some confusion.  Despite the early departure one clearly artistic man, who had been knocking back a vintage red for breakfast, decided to use the said facility.  Confused, I showed him which buttons to press, and gratefully he wobbled into the Tardis but clearly didn't hear my "remember to press the lock button" as he decanted himself on the throne.  Lo, the door hissed shut and no lock light came on.  You can probably guess what happened next - woman with young child in tow came down the aisle at a rate of knots because Little Jemima was about to wee herself, and before I could tell her "it's occupied" hit the door button, the door flew open, to reveal said gent fortunately doing up his flies.  So, back to Bif.  A nice little touch might be the sound of the door opening, a muffled scream of shock and the sound of an inebriated "luvvie" grandly announcing "Oh I'm sorry, I'm no good with new fangled technology".  Just a thought.

There are people who still think the world is flat so it shouldn't surprise anyone that people are asking "what's new".

To be honest, the underframe detail is a big enough difference, add in the hopefully much better drive system than the current offering, and the lighting and detailed interior and it becomes a no-brainer.  The other positive side is as those of us able to afford to update to the new model offload our old Lima-Hornby hybrids those happy with the current model or who fancy a bit of modelling with the current bodyshell can buy our oldies through well known on-line auction sites for probably not a lot of pounds, which if you are modelling on a budget is a win of sorts.

Suggestion for Bif:  First time I went on a 156 when still smelling of paint, from Nuneaton to Norwich, I sat next to the "Tardis" toilet which, having wheelchair friendly buttons, one for open, one for close and one to lock, caused some confusion.  Despite the early departure one clearly artistic man, who had been knocking back a vintage red for breakfast, decided to use the said facility.  Confused, I showed him which buttons to press, and gratefully he wobbled into the Tardis but clearly didn't hear my "remember to press the lock button" as he decanted himself on the throne.  Lo, the door hissed shut and no lock light came on.  You can probably guess what happened next - woman with young child in tow came down the aisle at a rate of knots because Little Jemima was about to wee herself, and before I could tell her "it's occupied" hit the door button, the door flew open, to reveal said gent fortunately doing up his flies.  So, back to Bif.  A nice little touch might be the sound of the door opening, a muffled scream of shock and the sound of an inebriated "luvvie" grandly announcing "Oh I'm sorry, I'm no good with new fangled technology".  Just a thought.

So the Flushing Water sound is not enough then!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Charlie,

Can we not have Billy Connelly talking about the Beige Jobby that won't flush on our Scottish Versions!

For those in any doubt about the quality of this model you will be amazed at the level of detail achieved. The underframe is a work of art, the interior seating and tables are spot on and with the lighting and smooth mechanism will make these hard to beat. Glad I've got my two ordered and a Provincal one will follow in time.

Thanks

Mark

Any chance of one of these units in SPT carmine and cream livery - as per http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+156+SPT+Livery ?

I was going to suggest that I'd have one in the earlier ex-National Express livery as well until I discovered that they had all been repainted in 2006, which means that livery isn't appropriate for a c 2007 layout.  It's interesting that it survived for longer on both the Class 158 and 170.

Anyway, I've now ordered a First Scotrail Barbie unit, so looking forward to delivery next year.

This video my be other use to others, the demo/test 156 at Warley 2016 on the Realtrack Models stand. The NEC hall is not the best place to get a detailed video of a model though!

Apologies to those that have already seen this on the other 156 posting.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Like 2

Personally, I'd like to see head/tail lights, a separate cab light function and passenger compartment lighting, along with an option to switch off the tail lights when working in multiple.

Dave

Edit: My wallet was disappointed to see the Strathclyde and Regional Railways liveries being released. That's two more purchases on the way.

Edited by Waverley West

Head and tail lamps (naturally)

Interior lighting including the lavatory and vestibules

Not too fussed about cab lighting to be honest although it might be nice to have a switchable cab light for station stops so the miniature driver can read the paper.

Door Oening lights would be quite nice

Illuminated destination blinds would also be nice

Actually there's not a lot else to light up.

One other question, the spec says pre fitted speakers - will this be one per coach?

• RMweb Premium

Like to ask 'Customers' a question with regards to Lighting Functions on UK Models, what do YOU  want to work on a 2 Car Modern DMU?????

As we are working on fitting 'EXTRA' lighting features!!   Let us know please.   Charlie

I'd like to see the marker light and Day running light active with F0, but have a separate function that switches over to the night light.

If this is not possible could you put the solder pad on the PCB for the night light as it makes it easier no modify :-)

I agree having the tail lights on a separate switch would be good, as you would only want the tail lights active on the trailing car too when in multiple.

Steven

• RMweb Premium

Actually there's not a lot else to light up.

If there'll be an option for fitted passengers, like the 143/144 had, then individual illumination of their iPhones and Tablets would be good.

I may have hit the Xmas eggnog a bit too hard ;)

Day and night headlights (when you get round to the class 142 don't have day headlights as they don't work on the real thing)

Tail lights

Marker lights only function for use when in a depot.

Destination screen easy on 156s with old style blind. Not easy with the new electric destination screens. Though a working one of those in 00 where you could set the destination would be very impressive.

DOL lights DCC only

Interior lights

Cab lights DCC only

Only other light I can think of is the toilet locked light but that's just going too far.

Talking from a DCC point of view... probably not possible to do all of this but seeing as it's a wish list so to speak...

1. Head/Tail lights. Both ends independantly capable of being turned off, eg when running 2 units together.

2. Interior lighting in saloons and toilets, again capable of being turned on and off (for those ECS moves ;) )and not just live at all times which is a backwards move imo.

3. Cab lighting independant control, eg if turned on only one cab light comes on and not both at once.

4. Separate lighting control for destination blinds (preferably in an enclosure to prevent light leakage)

5. CDL lights.

6. EMT have a weird blue light on the underframe... Went out specially this evening to grab this photo. I think it's some sort of diagnostics recording thing but probably too noval to fit this to a model :)

Screenshot_20161220-203548_zpslbnldafq.p

Edited by srihaggis

Hi Charlie,

For DCC Use:

* cab tail lights switchable at both ends for multi working.

* Door lights come on go off on the same function key of the door sounds used by Bif.

* Cab lights come on go off when unit sets off as already happens on Bachmann locos with Bifs sounds installed.

* the rest head/tail destination blinds and interior lights are needed.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

6. EMT have a weird blue light on the underframe... Went out specially this evening to grab this photo. I think it's some sort of diagnostics recording thing but probably too noval to fit this to a model :)

Screenshot_20161220-203548_zpslbnldafq.p

I've seen some Northern 156s with it as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

So in conclusion on DCC we need:

Front White Lights Switchable On/Off  Daytime Running

Front White Lights Switchable On/Off  Nightime Running

Rear Red Lights Switchable On/Off

Switchable Cab Light On/Off

Switchable Interior Lights On/Off

Switchable Destination Panel Light On/Off

Automatic Orange Door Open Lights in centre of unit (Linked to Legomanbiffo Sound Decoder)

Should be doo-able, have to speak to our Chinese Expert, Mr I Candoo !

• Like 5