Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium

On a scale of 1-10, How likely is it that a Central Trains liveried 156 would come out within the next 10 years? From the leaflet it doesn't seem you particularly like central trains (yet have a massive obsession with Scotland!)

Current liveries usually sell more - hence the Scotrail Saltire as the first release. Bearing in mind that all is needed to do the Abellio and First versions is a tiny decal on the side denoting the incumbent FOC. It then makes sense to do the First swoosh version to accompany it.

EMT is a popular current livery, so again makes sense to go with that fairly soon. (Justification - Have you seen how much EMT HSTs and 153's sell for on a well-known auction site?)

Cheers,

Mick

Current liveries usually sell more

This may be true, but I'm not sure I've seen any evidence for this Mick. To the contrary, I think that there is evidence to suggest that longer lived / wider geographic distribution liveries are more popular.

Take this poll for the 92 for example: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96681-poll-for-a-re-tooled-Hornby-class-92-andor-a-new-hornbyarnold-class-92/page-?mode=show

It shows RFD to be much more popular than any of the current liveries.

Oxford Rail also conducted a livery survey for their Mk3s (another long-lived vehicle in a plethora of modern liveries). I don't think the survey results have been published, but Oxford Rail announced that they would use the results to inform the livery sequence. They've chosen long-lived liveries with wide geographic distribution: Blue/Grey and Intercity Swallow.

Whichever is true, there's always paint and airbrushes available!

• RMweb Premium

This may be true, but I'm not sure I've seen any evidence for this Mick. To the contrary, I think that there is evidence to suggest that longer lived / wider geographic distribution liveries are more popular.

Take this poll for the 92 for example: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96681-poll-for-a-re-tooled-Hornby-class-92-andor-a-new-hornbyarnold-class-92/page-?mode=show

It shows RFD to be much more popular than any of the current liveries.

Oxford Rail also conducted a livery survey for their Mk3s (another long-lived vehicle in a plethora of modern liveries). I don't think the survey results have been published, but Oxford Rail announced that they would use the results to inform the livery sequence. They've chosen long-lived liveries with wide geographic distribution: Blue/Grey and Intercity Swallow.

Whichever is true, there's always paint and airbrushes available!

Fair comment Guy.

I suppose I should've qualified it with "current liveries sell more quickly to begin with".

That's seems to have been the case with the 144, as the Serco-Abellio Northern one seemed to sell pretty well to begin with.

I wonder if the older liveries have more of a trickle effect?

I would concur that blue-grey and sectorisation and longer lived stuff is more popular than some of the relatively short-lived smaller geographical area privatisation schemes - maybe that has an effect, as it narrows the modelled era down less?

As you rightly say, a larger geographical spread must also help in the case of the older liveries. I'm sure that the Regional Railways 156 will be a steady seller.

As for airbrushes - I know the man who did the painting for Charlie's display models...................... ;)

Cheers,

Mick

I'm sure that the Regional Railways 156 will be a steady seller.

Agreed! Looking forward to purchasing a couple.

Honestly, if it was me doing it, I'm not sure which liveries I'd choose first: probably the ones I wanted most myself!

Guy

On a scale of 1-10, How likely is it that a Central Trains liveried 156 would come out within the next 10 years? From the leaflet it doesn't seem you particularly like central trains (yet have a massive obsession with Scotland!)

Nothing wrong with having an obsession with Scotland!!!!

I'm sure the guys will have an extensive list of liveries that they want to produce beyond what's been already announced, and the disappearance of the Hornby 156 from this years announcements can only be good news for them.... Don't quote me on this, but I think they can do smaller runs (200?) per livery, which opens up the possibilities for just about anything.... drop them an email requesting your interest in Central trains....

Nothing wrong with having an obsession with Scotland!!!!

I'm sure the guys will have an extensive list of liveries that they want to produce beyond what's been already announced, and the disappearance of the Hornby 156 from this years announcements can only be good news for them.... Don't quote me on this, but I think they can do smaller runs (200?) per livery, which opens up the possibilities for just about anything.... drop them an email requesting your interest in Central trains....

He has said previously in this post that all liveries will be done eventually.

A Regional Railways 156, Express liveried model Im sure would sell well. The added advantage here would be that you can do it in Express with Regional branding and again when they replaced this with Central trains. I am slightly confused when people mention 'Regional' when they are describing the first livery 156 was released in, being the 'Super Sprinter' branded Provincial livery, which was named as such even if that then became the format, layout and colour scheme for what then became standard Regional Railways livery as seen on class 121, 142, 143, 150, 153 etc.

Other liveries that I'm sure would sell well would be the outgoing Northern Rail livery, with the possibilities of some of the ones that had destination pictures on the sides done as Limited Editions. Its worth noting that some releases that will prove to be good at selling will be those that match the models available in liveries and areas that are already well served. Northern is likely to be one as Northern Rail units are already available and modelled in 142, 144, 153, 150, 155, 156 and 158 - Northern's entire DMU fleet. Thankfully, 142 and 156 are being done by Realtrack to bring them to a much higher standard, but it gives us the chance to get most of thee Northern fleet in models which are fairly high-spec. Thus, attractive to model and thus generate cross sales.

There are some other times and areas that look likely to get similar results. Regional Railways is one, Scotrail, EMT are others. The chance of things like Northern Spirit, Central Trains, or some Anglia liveries being done depends on just how many still model that time and era, but this is likely to be less.

I'm sure Charlie will be able to gauge demand looking at requests and what else is available / flying off shelves.

• Like 2

A Regional Railways 156, Express liveried model Im sure would sell well. The added advantage here would be that you can do it in Express with Regional branding and again when they replaced this with Central trains. I am slightly confused when people mention 'Regional' when they are describing the first livery 156 was released in, being the 'Super Sprinter' branded Provincial livery, which was named as such even if that then became the format, layout and colour scheme for what then became standard Regional Railways livery as seen on class 121, 142, 143, 150, 153 etc.

Other liveries that I'm sure would sell well would be the outgoing Northern Rail livery, with the possibilities of some of the ones that had destination pictures on the sides done as Limited Editions. Its worth noting that some releases that will prove to be good at selling will be those that match the models available in liveries and areas that are already well served. Northern is likely to be one as Northern Rail units are already available and modelled in 142, 144, 153, 150, 155, 156 and 158 - Northern's entire DMU fleet. Thankfully, 142 and 156 are being done by Realtrack to bring them to a much higher standard, but it gives us the chance to get most of thee Northern fleet in models which are fairly high-spec. Thus, attractive to model and thus generate cross sales.

There are some other times and areas that look likely to get similar results. Regional Railways is one, Scotrail, EMT are others. The chance of things like Northern Spirit, Central Trains, or some Anglia liveries being done depends on just how many still model that time and era, but this is likely to be less.

I'm sure Charlie will be able to gauge demand looking at requests and what else is available / flying off shelves.

The Earlier livery planned for 2018 is:- 

post-3411-0-81504900-1483708485_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The Earlier livery planned for 2018 is:- 

Our thought's are:

Version 1   Portsmouth Harbour - Cardiff

Version 2   Leeds - Carlisle

Version 3   Glasgow - Oban

Your thought's please?

Edited by charliepetty

Birmingham-Norwich (one of their earlier routes)

Birmingham-Aberystwyth

Portsmouth to Cardiff was mainly operated by Class 155 units, the 156s only really operated the route when the 155s had their door problems and were borrowed from the Scottish allocation.  The Cardiff-Pompey 155s were replaced by Class 158s.  As far as I can recall Cardiff never had any 156 units allocated permanently, 156s in the city worked in from the Midlands and were allocated to Tyseley.

• RMweb Premium

I am slightly confused when people mention 'Regional' when they are describing the first livery 156 was released in, being the 'Super Sprinter' branded Provincial livery, which was named as such even if that then became the format, layout and colour scheme for what then became standard Regional Railways livery as seen on class 121, 142, 143, 150, 153 etc.

Our thought's are:

Your thought's please?

Any Scottish Routes are fine by me but would like to see a Glasgow Central to Stranraer version. Would really like to see the original Provincial Super Sprinter livery, with the 'running man' sprinter logo.

post-22167-0-71942200-1483709518_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just checked the Class 156 website and the Portsmouth/Brighton - Cardiff route was operated by 156s temporarily between the end of 1988 and Novembner 1989 and Cardiff had a temporary allocation of initially Scottish units then new deliveries intended for other routes.

There's a good synopsis of the allocations and routes worked by the units when new at http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_br-years.htm

Our thought's are:

Your thought's please?

Version 1 please!

Or any of the routes from when they replaced the 155s in around 89:

Birmingham - Hereford

Birmingham - Cardiff

Bristol - Cardiff