Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

Yup. October 1988 and a staff open day to 'celebrate' the conversion of the depot from locos to the new sprinter fleet. Some more pics on my Flickr page, scanned from the original prints. Quality is a bit iffy as I was - still am - just a point & shoot snapper who knows nowt about exposure settings pr composition etc.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskm84V4w

Great set of photo's there and thanks for sharing them. I've saved those as it's bang on for my era of modelling!

AFAIK the first 156's arrived at this time and commenced Driver training duties ( certainly from Eastfield ) and took over the West Highland duties from the 37/4's at the end of January 1989. A sad day..........

So I'll be after one of these Charlie, especially so if it has Glasgow - Oban on it.

cheers

Andy

Our thought's are:

Version 1   Portsmouth Harbour - Cardiff

Version 2   Leeds - Carlisle

Version 3   Glasgow - Oban

Your thought's please?

I don't really mind what destination you choose because I'll either be changing it or ignoring it.  I'm just after the livery.

• RMweb Gold

I don't really mind what destination you choose because I'll either be changing it or ignoring it. I'm just after the livery.

Fully agree which is why I was a bit disappointed that they are not changeable. Many layouts have a fictitious terminus so no national rail station is correct. Mine has a depot!

Roy

I would go for Nowich -Liverpool which would cover a large area of the country and operating areas. Also Cardiff/Birmingham -Nottingham or perhaps slightly less popular Lincoln - Coventry ?

Hi Charlie,

I agree Norwich - Liverpool as this would cover a large area of the country or going further how about Blackpool North - Cambridge or Harwich Parkeston Quay even?

Jim

Given the diversity of responses I wonder how feasible it would be to have the destinations filled as white translucent areas and a number of pre-cut transparent sticky labels supplied in the box so customers could apply them over the white space and still be illuminated from behind?

• RMweb Premium

Fully agree which is why I was a bit disappointed that they are not changeable. Many layouts have a fictitious terminus so no national rail station is correct. Mine has a depot!

Roy

Perhaps the unit could have Depot or Not in Service at one end and RailEx Mystery Tour on the other. Would cover all bases ;)

Roy

What we are trying to do here at Realtrack is produce a model that everyone wants!!!.   This is impossible as whatever we do 'someone will not like it.  There are 1000 models being produced, 500 Saltire & 500 Barbie Livery, as of today 360 have been sold with many customers either ordering 'Central Belt' and West Highland pairs, We have been in touch with the East Kilbride Tourist board & Ski Village who are keen to promote this version. 

IF we did blank destinations with decals, how many customers would be complaining on this forum that:  'It a pain to remove both bodyshells to apply the waterslide decals with the printing on the sticky side, thus its not easy to get the blind straight, as you cannot easily see the destination when applying the decal'.

We have a feeling some 'Collectors' & Non Modellers will be put off IF the units had no destination blinds.

The units we have picked to produce are aimed at covering different periods, so getting two units for the same period in two liveries is easy, also ALL blinds on the Class 156 units are rotating Dot Matrix blinds so to bee 100% correct we cannot have Glasgow on them anyway!   As it in a photograph it would say:

Glasgo     OR   lasgow  OR sgow Ce  OR  ow Centr  OR  ntral G

When we consulted the Army, there advice was:   Who Dares Wins

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3

Why not add £100 to each model for working DCC dot matrix displays and then we can all moan about the price and the fact most of us won't be able to read then at a distance anyway.

I thought it was great you were doing such a varied selection of liveries and destinations in the first run unlike any other models made by others.

I am looking forward to seeing these at Glasgow at the end of February will there be any painted samples

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What we are trying to do here at Realtrack is produce a model that everyone wants!!!. This is impossible as whatever we do 'someone will not like it. There are 1000 models being produced, 500 Saltire & 500 Barbie Livery, as of today 360 have been sold with many customers either ordering 'Central Belt' and West Highland pairs, We have been in touch with the East Kilbride Tourist board & Ski Village who are keen to promote this version.

IF we did blank destinations with decals, how many customers would be complaining on this forum that: 'It a pain to remove both bodyshells to apply the waterslide decals with the printing on the sticky side, thus its not easy to get the blind straight, as you cannot easily see the destination when applying the decal'.

We have a feeling some 'Collectors' & Non Modellers will be put off IF the units had no destination blinds.

The units we have picked to produce are aimed at covering different periods, so getting two units for the same period in two liveries is easy, also ALL blinds on the Class 156 units are rotating Dot Matrix blinds so to bee 100% correct we cannot have Glasgow on them anyway! As it in a photograph it would say:

Glasgo OR lasgow OR sgow Ce OR ow Centr OR ntral G

When we consulted the Army, there advice was: Who Dares Wins

Charlie

Blimey Charlie, calm down ;-) I only said *bit* disappointed - I will still be buying one!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

What we are trying to do here at Realtrack is produce a model that everyone wants!!!.   This is impossible as whatever we do 'someone will not like it.  There are 1000 models being produced, 500 Saltire & 500 Barbie Livery, as of today 360 have been sold with many customers either ordering 'Central Belt' and West Highland pairs, We have been in touch with the East Kilbride Tourist board & Ski Village who are keen to promote this version. 

IF we did blank destinations with decals, how many customers would be complaining on this forum that:  'It a pain to remove both bodyshells to apply the waterslide decals with the printing on the sticky side, thus its not easy to get the blind straight, as you cannot easily see the destination when applying the decal'.

The units we have picked to produce are aimed at covering different periods, so getting two units for the same period in two liveries is easy, also ALL blinds on the Class 156 units are rotating Dot Matrix blinds so to bee 100% correct we cannot have Glasgow on them anyway!   As it in a photograph it would say:

Glasgo     OR   lasgow  OR sgow Ce  OR  ow Centr  OR  ntral G

When we consulted the Army, there advice was:   Who Dares Wins

Charlie

To be honest the destinations are so small as to be irrelevant, but my thought was for the destinations to be printed on some form of thin, sticky-back clear vinyl and would be applied to the front face of the blank back-lit destination box.  After all if I wanted to change the destinations assuming I wanted to I'd have to apply sticky backed pre-printed replacements anyway.  Personally the number of the units and logos are more important for me and the destinations won't really be noticed but it would be nice if Norwich and Birmingham or Liverpool could feature on the Provincial units given the first batch were delivered to Norwich and launched on these routes.

At the end of the day I figure that as modellers we should be thankful that we are getting a decent 156 in the first place, especially with the promise of several liveries to follow the initial ScotRail examples. 

Secondly, remember if it were Hornby or Bachmann producing then we'd simply get one livery, one number, one destination.  No discussion.  No ifs, buts or maybes.  End of story.

As the saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time".  So you simply have to aim to please some of them for some of the time.

I'm simply grateful that two differently numbered versions are being produced in each livery.

Edited by YesTor

At the end of the day I figure that as modellers we should be thankful that we are getting a decent 156 in the first place, especially with the promise of several liveries to follow the initial ScotRail examples. 

Secondly, remember if it were Hornby or Bachmann producing then we'd simply get one livery, one number, one destination.  No discussion.  No ifs, buts or maybes.  End of story.

As the saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time".  So you simply have to aim to please some of them for some of the time.

I'm simply grateful that two differently numbered versions are being produced in each livery.

Well said that man ............................. :yes:

Well said that man ............................. :yes:

Has anyone said any different?

Charlie posed the question about alternative destinations planned for the releases and people have chimed in, with possible alternative ways of dealing with the issue.  Charlie answered my point about blank destinations and self-applied decals perfectly well indicating there might be some commercial resistance to it.  As I said earlier, the destinations will be irrelevant to me as they will be virtually illegible on a working layout.

However, I am interested in finding out if it is planned to release the Provincial units with both types of "running man" logo.  I'm sure most people know the first units just carried "Sprinter" branding and were those allocated to Norwich, and which later worked in and around Birmingham and across to the Cambrian.  Later units for the North and Scotland carried "Super Sprinter" branding.  Now before the Court of the Star Chamber for the Protection of True Modelling begin their condemnation of my soul to the Seven Setrack Radius 2 Circles of Hell for not being prepared to remove the factory branding and change the logos, having de-branded the tampo-printed "Alpha" symbols from a Bachmann Wales and Worst Alphaline Class 158 unit so I could re-logo it as an Arriva Wales "silver" 158, I know how easy it is to inadvertently damage the factory paint finish when removing good Tampo prints.  So, for me, the destinations are not particularly important but I would like to know if Charlie plans to do the different branding styles - I expect he will given the variations in logo details he's announced for the Scottish first releases.

No doubt Charlie will be reasonably pleased to know I can't wait to place an order for two Provo liveried 156s (preferably branded "Sprinter"...) fitted with sound when he opens up the order book.

Has anyone said any different?

Charlie posed the question about alternative destinations planned for the releases and people have chimed in, with possible alternative ways of dealing with the issue.  Charlie answered my point about blank destinations and self-applied decals perfectly well indicating there might be some commercial resistance to it.  As I said earlier, the destinations will be irrelevant to me as they will be virtually illegible on a working layout.

However, I am interested in finding out if it is planned to release the Provincial units with both types of "running man" logo.  I'm sure most people know the first units just carried "Sprinter" branding and were those allocated to Norwich, and which later worked in and around Birmingham and across to the Cambrian.  Later units for the North and Scotland carried "Super Sprinter" branding.  Now before the Court of the Star Chamber for the Protection of True Modelling begin their condemnation of my soul to the Seven Setrack Radius 2 Circles of Hell for not being prepared to remove the factory branding and change the logos, having de-branded the tampo-printed "Alpha" symbols from a Bachmann Wales and Worst Alphaline Class 158 unit so I could re-logo it as an Arriva Wales "silver" 158, I know how easy it is to inadvertently damage the factory paint finish when removing good Tampo prints.  So, for me, the destinations are not particularly important but I would like to know if Charlie plans to do the different branding styles - I expect he will given the variations in logo details he's announced for the Scottish first releases.

No doubt Charlie will be reasonably pleased to know I can't wait to place an order for two Provo liveried 156s (preferably branded "Sprinter"...) fitted with sound when he opens up the order book.

I'd think there would be demand for several runs of the Provincial livery ... it'd be 'Super Sprinter' for me!

EMT, strathclyde red/black, provincial 'sprinter', and Reggie rail for me  :rolleyes: 

Although the livery choice potential with a 156 is MASSIVE so you're onto a winner, amazed nobody has done it before to be honest. The most popular modern unit. Samples look awesome Charlie and Arran, top job

Super Sprinter;

Newcastle - Carlisle
​Carlisle - Leeds
​Glasgow - Oban

​Regional Railways Express;

​Leicester - Loughbrough
Birmingham - Lincoln
​Nottingham - Coventry

Northern Rail;

Barrow - Manchester
​Middlesbrough - Whitby
​Nottingham - Leeds

I know the last two are not announced yet, but I'm sure they would be popular if done next. I'm surprised a Northern one was not done first.