Class 142

charliepetty

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this quite recently and interesting to note that a model of 142084 is being produced, albeit in its later condition in life. Never had the chance to hear a 142 with the TL11 and SCG gearbox.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2022 at 10:03, charliepetty said:

This last two weeks has been rather exciting in 142 Pre-Orders and the tables have been turned on the most popular ones, the  current rankings are:

1st:  Northern Midnight Blue.

2nd: Provincial Blue & White

3rd: Skipper Chocolate & Cream

4th: GMPTE Orange

PPS: People in Manchester 'must' be on Holiday !!!!

Charlie

142 FINAL CAD Speaker.jpg

The current ratings in the race too the finishing line on our Class 142 Pacer models, as of 31st May are:

1st:   Northern Livery

2nd: Provincial

3rd:  Skipper (Chocolate & Cream)

4th:  GMPTE Orange

This looks a bit worrying as the numbers on all units are limited !!

PPS Both Northern Units have the later roof style.

Charlie

142064 Roof.JPG

• Like 2

On 09/04/2022 at 17:54, Dave-5-5-7 said:

I'm actually in Grimsby, we had them fairly frequently on the Sheffield - Cleethorpes via Brigg line. I still remember the screeching noises from the sharp bend at Fish Dock Road. I think Cleethorpes got a bit of variety. GMPTE made it over I believe. 

My Layout is set in 1991 at Saltfleet/Mablethorpe, on an idea that the East Lincs line survived.

Incidentally, when did they change the doors?

142s were regular performers on the Joint Line from Doncaster to Lincoln and Sleaford in the late 80s. I don't remember them going further south or East than Sleaford.  Our school train home regularly used to be a Neville Hill 142.

On 09/06/2022 at 22:55, lincolnshiremodeller said:

142s were regular performers on the Joint Line from Doncaster to Lincoln and Sleaford in the late 80s. I don't remember them going further south or East than Sleaford.  Our school train home regularly used to be a Neville Hill 142.

In the 90s when I used to frequent Gainsborough Lea Road we have 150/156s on Doncaster to Peterborough and 141/144 on Sheffield to Lincoln. Unfortunately no one has done the 141. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Planning ahead ??   Who fancies these:

142055 MerseyRail (R.Railways).jpg

142075 Regional Railways.jpg

Class 142 142073 Valley Lines_2005.jpg

142009 First GW.jpg

142073 Arriva TW.jpg

I'll take 2 MerseyTravel and 1 Regional please. If you do the blue and gold star in the original First NorthWestern (rather than pink doors) then i'll have a 2 of those as well.

P

• Like 1

• Yes to any of the yellow livered 142s!
  • An idea for the First Great Western 142 – Could this be in the original FNW livery. This then gives people the option to update to FGW (or Northern, or debranded...). I figured painting pink doors on is better than trying to repaint to match the bodyside blue.
  • If there's commonality with the ATW livery and the Arriva Trains Northern livery, it'd be great to get a version for post-2000 northern region modellers as well 😀

Northern Spirit would be number one for me!

I can see me getting several 142 units for the periods I am running. Id be going for;

Tyne and Wear livery
Regional Railways standard livery
Northern Midnight blue livery with lower numbers
Chocolate and Cream with 2 leaf doors
Provincial with 2 leaf doors

Perhaps not for me but the Grey/White/Red GMPTE (which was to be Network North West livery) would also be a good selling choice I think. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2022 at 21:27, NJC92 said:

Came across this quite recently and interesting to note that a model of 142084 is being produced, albeit in its later condition in life. Never had the chance to hear a 142 with the TL11 and SCG gearbox.

Thanks for this, you just settled a dispute I had with someone for 20 odd years…

I said for ages, the driving style of a 142 was the same as driving a Heritage DMU when introduced… gradual inputs, followed by step changing gears and revving…

exactly as this….

Since the changes, the style of engine reviving followed that of Sprinters..

high revs to build speed with a continued engagement of pace until full speed

i knew I wasnt imagining it.. 141’s were the same.

compare it to this to see what i mean..

Edited by adb968008