Class 142

charliepetty

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hate orange & brown:

I hate orange & brown:

I love that livery, as a kid I remember these coming to service, the Hornby model followed shortly after.

For some reason, I decided to make concerted efforts to photograph 142002, culmulating in about a dozen or so pictures of it around manchester.

And your unit in that picture .. 002 :-)

Edited by adb968008

I love that livery, as a kid I remember these coming to service, the Hornby model followed shortly after.

For some reason, I decided to make concerted efforts to photograph 142002, culmulating in about a dozen or so pictures of it around manchester.

And your unit in that picture .. 002 :-)

I prefer:

post-3411-0-81687200-1506096507.jpg

My choice for the ones after Northern and Chocolate and Cream would definately include this;

post-7347-0-38479900-1506336581.jpg

Id also be after the standard Regional Railways as per Charlie's photo above. Plus the obvious provincial, but with the yellow twin doors rather than the 4 folding leaf type.

Can see me buying a load of these of Charlie once they arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

My choice for the ones after Northern and Chocolate and Cream would definately include this;

attachicon.gif142017%20Metro%20Centre%20120596g-L.jpg

Id also be after the standard Regional Railways as per Charlie's photo above. Plus the obvious provincial, but with the yellow twin doors rather than the 4 folding leaf type.

Can see me buying a load of these of Charlie once they arrive.

Anyone out there got access to a real 142????????????????

We need the diamensions of the Leyland Bus Route Blind above the drivers windows, all diamensions please!!

post-3411-0-29455900-1508260031_thumb.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1

Having endured a 142 out of Leeds yesterday at the back end of peak time, this is how I like them to look.

attachicon.gifblade.png

Cheers,

Mick

So you would rather walk home, because if the 142 wasnt there that would have been the only alternative.

They might not be the best (by a long way) but they are being used for far busier services than they were intended to be used on and that isnt the 142s fault!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So you would rather walk home, because if the 142 wasnt there that would have been the only alternative.

They might not be the best (by a long way) but they are being used for far busier services than they were intended to be used on and that isnt the 142s fault!

To be pedantic, the alternative would have been to wait for the next train, or the next or the next. 150/156/158 most likely.

I agree, they have been a victim of their own success in saving lines that may have been closed and generating extra passengers, but thankfully, the time has come to move on.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

To be pedantic, the alternative would have been to wait for the next train, or the next or the next. 150/156/158 most likely.

I agree, they have been a victim of their own success in saving lines that may have been closed and generating extra passengers, but thankfully, the time has come to move on.

Cheers,

Mick

To be really pedantic, if everyone did that when a 142 turned up they would never get home because they wouldnt physically fit on the alternative trains.

All the Pacers have punched well above their weight for a lot longer than they were designed to be in use and for that we should be eternally thankful, imagine if we were trying to shift the current passenger numbers without the Pacers and no alternatives?

Actually lets not.

Edit-

The best way (and probably most cost effective) to get rid of the Pacers would be to electrify some lines and use second hand/redundant EMUs but we all know Graylings views on electrification (or any expenditure) outside the M25 dont we!

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Edit-

The best way (and probably most cost effective) to get rid of the Pacers would be to electrify some lines and use second hand/redundant EMUs but we all know Graylings views on electrification (or any expenditure) outside the M25 dont we!

Seconhand 319s are already contributing to the demise of 142s............  

• RMweb Gold

How many years will it take till we flock to a heritage line to see and jump on a class 142 and recreate those (rose tinted glasses on) journeys......?

Withdrawal of class 144s starts September 15th 2018 with full withdrawal by January 5th 2019.

Withdrawal of class 142s starts November 10th 2018 with full withdrawal by November 12th 2019

So i’d imagine they will start popping up on preserved lines in 2019.

Class 153 withdrawals have already started and should be complete by November 9th 2019.

Replacements are 150’s in 3 car formations (with some cars being modified to become permanent 3 car sets), plus 156/158s all cascaded from elsewhere.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been up in Sheffield, Pacer/Skipper heaven!

142's run the Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly stopping services and 143's do the Cleethorpes and other runs; Lovely trip to Edale and back in a 142 :) The non-rail enthusiasts in the group were a little surprised to find bench seating! Had to sit along side Hope Sidings whilst a 66 and EWS aggregate wagons reversed in.

Sheffield-bound 142 entering Totley Tunnel from Grindleford Station.

gallery_24698_4132_449208.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 4