Howard Smith

• Moderators

Season's greetings RMwebbers,

Look what has just gone live! This new digital video download features a great selection of steam era layouts, and given it's Christmas, we've thrown in some great heritage railway content too!

post-8492-0-66515600-1482229023_thumb.jpg post-8492-0-68795100-1482231197_thumb.jpg

***10 Great steam era layouts inside***
***1 hour + of steam era action***

WATCH THESE FIVE LAYOUTS:

• Liverpool Lime Street (OO)
  • Loughborough Road (OO)
  • Garsdale (O)
  • Horfield (OO)
  • Kingswear (2FS)

6 GREAT LAYOUT ARTICLES:

• Much Murkle (OO)
  • East Wheal Dream (O)
  • Halland (OO)
  • Penmaenpool (OO)
  • Wellbridge (OO)
  • Kingswear (2FS)

PLUS WATCH:

• How to clean wheels easily
  • Scratchbuilt pioneering and pre-grouping locomotives on test
  • A guided tour of Didcot Railway Centre, a leading heritage site
  • A driver experience course on the Severn Valley Railway

Get your copy today for just £4.99, whether you're on tablet, PC or MAC to watch and read it this Christmas.

Preview and download your copy here

I assume the layout articles are re-prints?

Largely I would say; I've not seen it yet but I suppose use could have been made of additional images but it's more a compendium product intended for those who have not had the magazine and DVD. As such it doesn't represent bad value if it has the material in it you haven't seen before.

• Moderators

Largely I would say; I've not seen it yet but I suppose use could have been made of additional images but it's more a compendium product intended for those who have not had the magazine and DVD. As such it doesn't represent bad value if it has the material in it you haven't seen before.

The layout articles and those featured on the DVD have previously featured in BRM, but unless you've bought every copy you might easily have missed some. Diesels and electrics are on the cards if it makes sense to produce, we just need enough interest.

Howard

This should have been made clear at the outset.Having purchased the digital version I was disappointed that I had seen all the video material previously.Still, I now have it on one DVD.

• RMweb Gold

This should have been made clear at the outset.Having purchased the digital version I was disappointed that I had seen all the video material previously.Still, I now have it on one DVD.

Now that I didn't realise. I was looking forward to watching an hour of new content on the video.

• Moderators

Now that I didn't realise. I was looking forward to watching an hour of new content on the video.

The cover gives the list of layouts on video, as does the digital description, plus those within the digital magazine - it's not hidden. If you've forgotten you've previously seen them, you'll be able to enjoy them again.

Diesels and electrics are on the cards if it makes sense to produce, we just need enough interest.

Howard

How do you gauge that interest? And what will be enough?

I don't recall you asking for expressions of interest for the steamy version.

G.

• Administrators

How do you gauge that interest? And what will be enough?

I don't recall you asking for expressions of interest for the steamy version.

G.

We didn't. We took it upon ourselves to produce a steam version, which we feel has the best chance of achieving good sales. If sales revenue justifies the time spent to produce it, we'll do more. Simples...

• Like 1

The cover gives the list of layouts on video, as does the digital description, plus those within the digital magazine - it's not hidden. If you've forgotten you've previously seen them, you'll be able to enjoy them again.

Don't dig your hole any deeper. Yes,the cover did list the layouts but in a new publication one would expect new footage.Honesty would require a disclosure that all material in this publication has been previously published in BRM. I did not have to fork out AUD10 to see them again!

We didn't. We took it upon ourselves to produce a steam version, which we feel has the best chance of achieving good sales. If sales revenue justifies the time spent to produce it, we'll do more. Simples...

Odd that the production of a diesel and an electric traction DVD is dependant on sales of a steam version when presumably you have decided that the three are separate individual markets that will attract different enthusiasts/sales. 

G

Edited by grahame

• Moderators

Odd that the production of a diesel and an electric traction DVD is dependant on sales of a steam version when presumably you have decided that the three are separate individual markets that will attract different enthusiasts/sales. 

G

The number of those who model steam still outnumbers diesel and electric modellers. Steam is still the largest market and despite a tendency for more diesel-era layouts arriving on scene, they still have to catch up with the number of steam layouts.

The number of those who model steam still outnumbers diesel and electric modellers. Steam is still the largest market and despite a tendency for more diesel-era layouts arriving on scene, they still have to catch up with the number of steam layouts.

Sorry, that may be the case, but it is an illogical flim-flam excuse to say you will base whether to produce a diesel and/or electric based version on the sales revenues of a steam DVD (as in Steve's post/reply).

G

• Administrators

Sorry, that may be the case, but it is an illogical flim-flam excuse to say you will base whether to produce a diesel and/or electric based version on the sales revenues of a steam DVD (as in Steve's post/reply).

G

If sales of this steam version are good and we deem it a good use of our time (with regards to sales revenue generated Vs man hours to produce), we'll do further versions. If sales are low and we feel it's not the best use of our time, we won't produce further versions. I think it's fair to say that a Steam Special will be the most popular, and whilst we can't compare it with a diesel/electric Special like-for-like, it will give us a decent indication as to whether there's a demand for a Video Special dedicated to certain parts of the hobby.

Still gives the impression of marginalising diesel and electric enthusiasts. A better idea might have been to be inclusive of all traction types in the first issue, otherwise why not extrapolate your argument and go the whole hog by just featuring steam in the magazine? As has altready been suggested (over the 'new' or 'repeat' content) it might be a good idea to stop digging.

Merry Christmas.

G.

Still gives the impression of marginalising diesel and electric enthusiasts. 

We definitely don't Grahame. I try to ensure we have a fair balance in layout content in what I look out for and with the rest of the editorial team we look at the selection to give a selection of era, scale, gauge and geography over a broader period of time rather than any single issue. If anyone wishes to analyse what's been featured over the course of a year then knock yourselves out. I know there's content we don't always get to include representative elements of but it is governed by the material available.

Merry Christmas too.

• Administrators

Still gives the impression of marginalising diesel and electric enthusiasts. A better idea might have been to be inclusive of all traction types in the first issue, otherwise why not extrapolate your argument and go the whole hog by just featuring steam in the magazine? As has altready been suggested (over the 'new' or 'repeat' content) it might be a good idea to stop digging.

Merry Christmas.

G.

Maybe you should apply for the vacant BRM editor position?

Hi All,

I've just noticed that my starring role has been repeated! You guys will have to come back in the next couple of years to see how things have progressed perhaps?

Happy Christmas to all at BRM!

All the best,

Castle

• 5 years later...

I've recetnly purchased this as part of Pocketmags recent sale, and I'm unsure where else to inquire about this having already tried the World Of Railways and Pocketmags contact pages.

I bought this specifically for the video, but it has been set to Private.  Can whoever administrates the BRM Youtube channel please set the video to Unlisted so it can be viewed?

image.png.0627fc8dcf447dc538ee83cf5c95e03f.png

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Synch said:

I've recetnly purchased this as part of Pocketmags recent sale, and I'm unsure where else to inquire about this having already tried the World Of Railways and Pocketmags contact pages.

I bought this specifically for the video, but it has been set to Private.  Can whoever administrates the BRM Youtube channel please set the video to Unlisted so it can be viewed?

image.png.0627fc8dcf447dc538ee83cf5c95e03f.png

IIRC there are multiple videos, can you tell which one it is that you cannot access? I can't tell from the screenshot. 

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

IIRC there are multiple videos, can you tell which one it is that you cannot access? I can't tell from the screenshot. 

image.png.dd4990874635f1aaee0ac70f2dd2a968.png

This is what the opening page looks like, if there's links to videos via the front cover none of them are working.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Synch said:

image.png.dd4990874635f1aaee0ac70f2dd2a968.png

This is what the opening page looks like, if there's links to videos via the front cover none of them are working.

OK, I'll have to copy @Howard Smith in to see if he can resolve next week as I can't determine what it it is from here but that page looks like it should be a video of Much Murkle.