Castle

Hi All,

Pencil me in, please. As far as I can see I can attend, and could I bring a non member?

No problem Phil, non members, friends and family alike are most welcome. Great to have you there on the day!

Hi Castle.

Is there a minimum ages? My 7 & 4 yr would love to come (as would Daddy!) if possible.

Many thanks

Sam, you can come along only if you are properly supervised by the 7 and 4 year old! Seriously though, as long as the youngsters are well supervised as we go behind the scenes, it will be great to have them along too. We are open to all ages and they won't be the youngest people I have shown around Didcot.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

You got it Bob - just the one? Happy new year to you too!

That's two for you good sir - no worries!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Drew just the one at the moment the Lightweight SiL is not about anymore.

Grandad Bob is the new rear gunner who watches my back. 

Edited by 81C

Hello Castle,

Me and my father have always wanted to visit this wonderful place. However can I just ask how much does the tour cost and do you know where the nearest airport is with options to either use a taxi or public transport to get to the centre?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

• Like 1

Hi Nelson,

It would be great to have you guys along if you can make it! The obvious airport I suppose is Heathrow as you can get to Paddington from their easily enough via Heathrow express or the underground and thence by train to Didcot direct or, if not direct, by changing at Reading dependant upon the train. That is, unless someone out there knows better? As I don't try to fly to Didcot very often (!) it's over to the RMWEB community on that one! Didcot's normal 2 loco running day entrance fee applies and the tour is arranged by me, for RMWEB members, so it costs no more. It's my way of giving back to the RMWEB community that I get so much out of.

The current entrance fees, along with all the other information about the railway centre, is here:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk

I hope it works out!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Castle,

Me and my father have always wanted to visit this wonderful place. However can I just ask how much does the tour cost and do you know where the nearest airport is with options to either use a taxi or public transport to get to the centre?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

Heathrow is the closest, you can either get a GWR bus to reading and connect to didcot or the options listed by Castle. I think the train is about half an hour to reading, and the bus can be similar (depending on how long you have to wait for it to leave.

Gatwick to reading is about an hour on the train, again followed by a change at reading for didcot. No idea on Stansted or Luton, but i suspect longer given it will be a train into London followed by a tube and another train.

• RMweb Gold

If flying to Heathrow the cheapest way to get to a railway station or onto a train is to use Heathrow Connect (stopping trains) to get to the GWML instead of taking Heathrow Express (HEX) to Paddington.  You can also catch an ordinary service 'bus to West Drayton and join the train there.  The quickest way is HEX from LHR to Paddington the through train to Didcot.

Clearwater's suggestion of going via Birmingham isn't as silly as it might sound as there is an hourly service from there to Oxford but it is more liable to be 'amended' due to engineering work.

Not sure I'll be able to get to Didcot by train. Can someone let me know what the car parking arrangements are there?

There is a quite large, poorly surfaced in places, car park directly opposite the station and it is by far the most economical option (apart from one round the corner which is a bit further away) and has the shortest walk to the station entrance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Hi Castle,

Can you please add me to the list, i really enjoyed my last RMWeb tour.

all the very best and many thanks for organising this again.

Godfrey

You got it Godfrey! I look forward to seeing you again. No problem to organise this tour for people like yourselves that really get a kick out of it - sharing the toybox is what it is all about!

Sorry, when is this tour around Didcot?

Hi Liam,

The tour is on Sunday 30th July 2017. Full details are in post No. 1 of this thread. I hope you can make it!

All the best,

Castle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Castle,

Can you let us (me) know the current condition and visibility of Bonnie Prince Charlie? Is he/she/it sufficiently accessible for taking photos?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

As far as I know, as she / he / it is currently out of ticket, the loco should be fully accessible in the main running shed. There shouldn't the any problems with taking pictures at all! I can confirm tomorrow for you as it is a No. 4079 working party day and I will be 'on shed' too! She is doated on by one volunteer in particular who is keen with the Brasso so it's condition should be considered 'shiny'....

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle