Oxford Rail announces Warwells

mikeharvey22

I would say the definition on the moulded plastic on the deck of the Oxford model is finer but Hatton's make better provision for variations through the wagon's life and it feels better quality overall.

Looking at your photos I'd say both have positives and both also have negatives, but I'd have to loo at both in the flesh quite closely to decide which I prefer. 

On the Oxford one - I think the buffers are superior - but have you really got one with oval heads one end and clipped-top round the other? Is that so Oxford saves sending you one of each version for review!  :scratchhead:

Jon

On the Oxford one - I think the buffers are superior - but have you really got one with oval heads one end and clipped-top round the other? Is that so Oxford saves sending you one of each version for review!  :scratchhead:

It's supplied with the incorrect (for that livery) oval ones fitted. I'd just changed one end for the review photos to show both are supplied.

Those of you using 1/72 scale vehicles for 'gauging trials', do note that 1/76 (which your wagons are to) is a noticeably smaller scale. On another point, perhaps the lighter weight of the Oxford version is a reflection of the fact that its manufacturer is anticipating that most will have a hulking great die-cast 1/72 tank plonked on them.

Mine will have an altogether more peaceful cargo of a DCE's Drott BTD6 cadging a lift to a major track renewal. :-)

D. 

The difference in scale between 1/76 and 1/72 can be shown here.

The smaller tank is the new Oxford Diecast Churchill Mk III, while the bigger more detailed (and more expensive) model is the same tank by Dragon Armour.

Unfortunately the Oxford Churchill is wider at the tracks than the warwell as they seem to have made the tanks track areas (though not the tracks themselves) wider than the actual prototype. Doubtless this has happened because there is a minimal wall thinkness to the sides and the tracks can be (reluctantly) made to turn.

Likewise the air intakes are solidly cast with the tank sides (on Dragon these can be left off, if you buy a kit).

post-15098-0-92233100-1500879701_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-32068400-1500879714_thumb.jpg

Note : most ready made tanks (especially British types) in 1/72nd scale are plastic and therefore quite light. Only Altaya (Ixio models) and Forces of Valor are diecast. (At 1/76th scale, Oxford's is too).

Plastic kits will also be light but white metal kits will soon add some weight.

This last photo compares Oxfords mk III to an Altaya MkVII. Oxford's first attempt at a tank is ok but lacks the fine detail found elsewhere (even Altaya are more detailed and cost the same, Dragon Armour outclasses both but you pay twice as much).

post-15098-0-48020000-1500879736_thumb.jpg

Of course, you can build several Churchills (4 different types too) using these kits:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=604

I will quite happily be corrected but my understanding was that Churchill tanks only used warflats and Shermans used warwells

In general Churchills were on Warflats but I,ve seen one exception photo. The British received 17000 Sherman's but a chunk of these (mostly Sherman III) were delivered to the Middle East.

Hi All,

Slightly off topic but I was at the 'War & Peace' show yesterday.

Attached some images of some WW2 vehicles which may help some modellers out there with livery application, weathering etc.

As an aside - if you get achance to visit one of these events, I would strongly recommend it.

post-30109-0-60100600-1501139014_thumb.jpg

post-30109-0-80168000-1501139068_thumb.jpg

post-30109-0-55817300-1501139099_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Updated information on Oxfords website with regards to the triple pack of MOD warwells

Quote "After the war the MOD kept many of the wagons for transport of a variety of vehicles - albeit Tanks were growing in size and no longer fitted within the UK loading gauge.

A series of modifications were made to the real wagons - replacement bogies, air brakes, wider decks to facilitate safer vehicle loading and a range of additional locating points to secure the vehicles.

Eventually a full revision was undertaken to add a 'cradle' allowing the Warwell to transport Warrior carriers. Our triple pack will feature many of these upgrades to present the Warwell in it's final version.

The Warrior carrier will not be included." unquote

Sounds promising....

• 2 weeks later...

Updated information on Oxfords website with regards to the triple pack of MOD warwells

Quote "After the war the MOD kept many of the wagons for transport of a variety of vehicles - albeit Tanks were growing in size and no longer fitted within the UK loading gauge.

A series of modifications were made to the real wagons - replacement bogies, air brakes, wider decks to facilitate safer vehicle loading and a range of additional locating points to secure the vehicles.

Eventually a full revision was undertaken to add a 'cradle' allowing the Warwell to transport Warrior carriers. Our triple pack will feature many of these upgrades to present the Warwell in it's final version.

The Warrior carrier will not be included." unquote

Sounds promising....

Hopefully some 3d printing whizz kid will sort us out!

• RMweb Premium

.50 Cal needs to be removed.  

Any half decent crewman would have had it stowed inside, and the gunner may even have kept the breech block about his person if it had already been allocated a crew.

I can remember truck drivers taking their steering wheels with them, or leaving them with trusted mates when they went on leave.

Just found a photo on the internet showing a train of Crusader tanks (without any main guns in the turrets) on a string of Warflats, there were some carriages at the rear of the train, presumably the main guns were loaded in the carriages. All the photos of Warwells seem to be carrying Sherman's.

Due to wartime restrictions on photography it's not surprising that there are few photos of tanks on trains.

David

I wish more photographers had broken the rules ;) then again, with such hard to come by evidence of wartime traffic in the 40s I suppose it gives me more freedom to apply rule 1-ish, at least that's my excuse for having a Merchant Navy heading to Eastbourne :P

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

.50 Cal needs to be removed.  

Any half decent crewman would have had it stowed inside, and the gunner may even have kept the breech block about his person if it had already been allocated a crew.

I can remember truck drivers taking their steering wheels with them, or leaving them with trusted mates when they went on leave.

I remember my father telling me that you were meant to remove the distributor arm when parking your car- this may have been part of DORA

I remember my father telling me that you were meant to remove the distributor arm when parking your car- this may have been part of DORA

You're correct in 1940 it was an offence to not immobilise an unattended vehicle supposedly to stop nazi paratroopers from making use of them in the event of an invasion. Magistrates Court and a fine for offenders

For those looking for correct scale model tanks have a look at the Milicast web site www.milicast.com as they do a range of 1/76 scale resin military vehicles, including Churchills, Shermand, Crusaders and many varients. Recommended.. I have an excellent Comet tank (which fits the UK loading gauge) and was still being used by the TA in 1958 as my load for a Warwell.

• Like 1

Regarding tank loads, here is my model of a Comet Tank (a Milicast one) and for thos wanting tank loads post the Second War this fits the bill. Introduced near the end of the war only seeing service in small numbers in 1944/1945. However despite being supersceded by the Centurian it was still in army use untill 1958 when it was used by the TA. It is the last british tank that would fit the British Loading gauge (the Centurian was too wide) so can be used on a layout in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I have to be really carefull as these tank models are really interesting so I must resist buying more. I am currently building 2 APCs and some armoured cars but these would usually travel on a Warflat.

post-20690-0-98868900-1503312994.jpg

david

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I wish more photographers had broken the rules ;) then again, with such hard to come by evidence of wartime traffic in the 40s I suppose it gives me more freedom to apply rule 1-ish, at least that's my excuse for having a Merchant Navy heading to Eastbourne :P

It was the law, not the rules, and you were in proper serious trouble if you broke it, with the death penalty for spying a possibility.  Anyone carrying a camera around in public who was not at a wedding or similar would have aroused suspicion and you wouldn't have got far, and of course if you tried to hide your camera it looked even more suspicious!  In any case, film was difficult to obtain.

Some examples of loads on Warwells.

post-20690-0-17503800-1503585664_thumb.jpg

This photo taken at Chilwell in the 1960s but am unsure of the load.

This photo shows an armouured car (Saladin I think).

post-20690-0-48155500-1503585717_thumb.jpg

This looks like a Scorpion.

post-20690-0-75910400-1503585778_thumb.jpgpost-20690-0-65588800-1503585798_thumb.jpg

This looks like a command vehicle

Please feel free to correct me on these vehicles.

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 5

Yes, the top is a 1950s Saladin and the lower one a 1980s GKN Saxon. There were three or four Saxon variants, most were personnel carriers and there was a command vehicle. None are now in service with the British army.

Fashions change, but if the clock should be turned back, I have got a little list.

Me also, top of the tree would be to get rid of the 'loon' pants my mum made me by inserting different colour fabric at the end of the legs of my old school trousers, then second would be my harvest brown corduroy jacket. Yes I was a dedicated follower of fashion!