Oxford Rail Annouce 4-Wheel Toad

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

From what I can make out, neither the 6-wheel or 4-wheel Toads announced by Oxford Rail yet exist as anything more than CAD images, with that of the latter clearly being a cut-and-paste job based on that of the former. 

Bit early for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I'd have thought...............

Oxford's LNER cattle wagon seems to have sold OK despite its faults and none of the errors/omissions on the Toads (even if they do make it through to the finished product) look anything like as bad or as tricky to rectify.

Pre production models were avaiable for viewing back in May.

From what I can make out, neither the 6-wheel or 4-wheel Toads announced by Oxford Rail yet exist as anything more than CAD images, with that of the latter clearly being a cut-and-paste job based on that of the former. 

Bit early for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I'd have thought...............

Oxford's LNER cattle wagon seems to have sold OK despite its faults and none of the errors/omissions on the Toads (even if they do make it through to the finished product) look anything like as bad or as tricky to rectify.

John

The August Hornby magazine, just released, has decorated sample photos in GWR and BR liveries, of both the 4 and 6 wheel toads from Oxford. The handrails could be separate mouldings as there are bends in the rails on some of the sample models, which makes it seem to be fitted rather than moulded, but difficult to be sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

btw, Oxford's AA3 17831 was indeed allocated to Paddington, but 17831 was an AA12. (I suspect they wanted to choose 17540.)

Good thing all the modern image lettering will need to come off mine then!

Does anyone know when they might turn up. Hattons reckoned July to September when I last checked.

• RMweb Gold

I'd suspect Hornby have stolen the march on Toad brakevans just now. It would be quite daunting to go up against the AA13, especially if you've got it 'wrong' (not, however, that I'm suggesting that).

The extra detail required the 'wow' factor might well push the cost-effectiveness of the Ox toad into the realms of negative returns, and inhibit it's eventual release. It might be reasonable to see the Ox version quietly dropped, just as the new, improved DG hits the shops.

Sad really, and I wish Oxford well. I'd guess that with all of the negative response of the DG might well persuade Oxford to steer clear of anything 'Western'. I fear that most, if not all of the major manufacturers will tread warily around anything with a GW background.

Hawksworth 94xx, anybody? Haven't seen one of them for a while. Oh well, back to my Lima conversions, then....

Ian.

• Like 1

I'd suspect Hornby have stolen the march on Toad brakevans just now. It would be quite daunting to go up against the AA13, especially if you've got it 'wrong' (not, however, that I'm suggesting that).

The extra detail required the 'wow' factor might well push the cost-effectiveness of the Ox toad into the realms of negative returns, and inhibit it's eventual release. It might be reasonable to see the Ox version quietly dropped, just as the new, improved DG hits the shops.

Sad really, and I wish Oxford well. I'd guess that with all of the negative response of the DG might well persuade Oxford to steer clear of anything 'Western'. I fear that most, if not all of the major manufacturers will tread warily around anything with a GW background.

Hawksworth 94xx, anybody? Haven't seen one of them for a while. Oh well, back to my Lima conversions, then....

Ian.

By heck, you're a right bundle of joy Harry.  You start off talking about negative returns and end up believing your own words. Hornby and Bachmann both produce a GWR 'Toad' and no one has gone over a cliff!  Oxford's GWR goods brake is a different animal altogether. It is an earlier shorter version and a few lasted into early BR days.  No reason at all to think it will not be popular.  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Not for me. AA13s are some futuristic newfangled invention, and the only person from my time period who may have seen one is HG Wells, while exploring what's to come in his time machine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having bought a Hornby AA15 and being in the market for another one next paydsy, plus of course a late GW liveried one to accompany my BR examples, plus a bauxite liveried fitted BR one, I am still interested in the short wheelbase Oxford toad and fully intend to buy one, in BR unfitted livery.  I may even be tempted by a 6-wheeler.  Not all toads were AA15s even in BR days.  Unless the thing turns out to be a total dog, Ox are guaranteed at least one customer here, especially if the handrails are separate, a matter which is still up for conjecture.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

By heck, you're a right bundle of joy Harry.  You start off talking about negative returns and end up believing your own words. Hornby and Bachmann both produce a GWR 'Toad' and no one has gone over a cliff!  Oxford's GWR goods brake is a different animal altogether. It is an earlier shorter version and a few lasted into early BR days.  No reason at all to think it will not be popular.

Sorry Coach, you're probably quite right. I'm looking forward to a different AA diagram Toad. Like you & others, I'll probably buy 2 or3, just for the different job diagrams. I haven't seen the new one yet, but I live in hope. I hereby faithfully promise not to go over a cliff. I might clutch a Bachmann Toad to my breast as I take that fateful step....

Ian.

• Like 2

Sorry Coach, you're probably quite right. I'm looking forward to a different AA diagram Toad. Like you & others, I'll probably buy 2 or3, just for the different job diagrams. I haven't seen the new one yet, but I live in hope. I hereby faithfully promise not to go over a cliff. I might clutch a Bachmann Toad to my breast as I take that fateful step....

Ian.

If you place a point (turnout) and a Toad at the bottom when you do jump, you could be said to be hitting the frog and toad!  :jester:

Sorry, I'll get me hat and coat ...

Ian.

No apologies needed Harry....er.. Ian. I speak with tongue in cheek although this is impossible to convey in the written word. Glad you took it in good part.  I noticed in Hattons catalogue yesterday that one of the Oxford Toads will be allocated to Bala......Just the ticket for me!  No doubt it would have been deteriorating out of use at the end of a siding by circa 1957, so any mistakes the manufacturer makes will pale into insignificance beside Rule 1...  :whistle:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that both Hornby & Oxford are to be branded 'Bala' (Hornby already have). I'm reliably informed that Maesglas (Newport) had the largest allocation of Toads, being adjacent to Ebbw Junction and Alexandra Dock Junction (again, Newport). I'm certainly interested in an AA1 (6 wheeler), and an AA2 (25 ton variety). That, and a 27xx pannier will look just right (or, an 18xx saddle tank).

Ian.  

• Like 1

It'll be nice to have a Toad that looks a bit different. Somewhere, I still have the old K's white metal one - yes, the floorless (not flawless) one. It's horribly heavy and drags lighter wagons off the track but at least it's obviously different from the others. (CJL)

• Like 1

What sole BG one?

Duncan

See BGS Data Sheet 696. I assume you're a member if you have any interest in the broad gauge!

Oxford will no doubt produce an attractive model, which will prove popular. 

I want realistic, not attractive!

See BGS Data Sheet 696. I assume you're a member if you have any interest in the broad gauge!

Yes, I joined a couple of months ago and I'm awaiting a pile of datasheets and back issues of Broadsheet so I can really get cracking on the BG side of things.

D

• Like 2

The four AA3s, taken from the Oxford site. (I hope that's not breaking too many rules.) From top to bottom:

- 'GWR planked (early) Paddington' (17831)

- 'GWR planked (late) Acton 56034'

- 'BR Bala 56449'

- 'BR Basingstoke 35717'

Every one has a trademark medley of classical Oxford errors.

post-133-0-85491500-1502489033.jpg

post-133-0-84934300-1502489049.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like three versions. One fully planked with early handrail, one with sheeting, planked verandah and later handrail, and one with fully planked sides.

Shame the fully planked one doesn't have 25" GW, as I could live with that for now. What's the best way to remove Oxford's lettering? Not sure describing it with a 1920s livery as "early" is quite right! I wonder how many people will buy an "early" one to run with their glossy lined Dean Goods, even though the liveries don't match.

The thing that strikes me is the bare inside of the verandah. Is it time for a complete list of faults?

Edited by BG John