ozamrr 00/HO scale indoor,outdoor garden railway

ozamrr

I have finished the bus wiring on the module that be connecting to the main control panel, all it is  CD wire madness, just to have three throttles working on DC, I can do what DCC can with the aid of toggle switches,

Yesterday I crimped on the connectors and started clamping down the wires, but the wire clips I am using are too small will get the  next size up today  and replace the others and line them all up closer to the edge of the timber so it be easy to plug the spade connectors.

Pic one I have the wires coded and them paired off to the double plugs making it easy to plug up , pic two the wire madness,, wish I got the black wires two cables in them , haven't enough to male up the cables, will need more, leave that till after the weeks holiday in early October,, not far away can't wait..

Pic three the connectors , pic four nearly finished connectors being clamped down , need to buy the next size wire clip today, once I finish clamping the connectors down will solder the feeders to the track and that module is finely done, move onto the next, have bus wires plugs on it and switch the feeder wires around and same with the next on, completing all the modules 

Then can move onto getting stuck into the last stage of the layout setting up the small decking , bridge and spiral so I can start nailing track down and final stage the bus wiring, have decided not to have bus wiring on the bridge, be using the rails, joining  them up with feeder wires saving on all that wire . In stead will make up a lead from where the bridge is close to the control panel, fingers crossed Christmas time for the first train to be running, big day.

Tony from down under, first storm predicted for spring 

post-31098-0-21877200-1537917526.jpg

post-31098-0-19851700-1537917543.jpg

post-31098-0-70368900-1537917555.jpg

post-31098-0-20982600-1537917568.jpg

• Like 1

The control panel is now finely connected to the layout by 5 blocks so far, run out of wire, won't be buying more till after the 15th of October and I have nailed down the rest of the connectors onto the board, looks good, if anyone has any better ideas, let me , the best way to connect the spades is have the control panel on the module up on the saw horses .

The two level step ladder has worked out perfectly with the right height for the control panel, I will have to make another stand for the second panel that will control the points, the first step is for the transformers all up four of them and two remote control recessives and one slide throttle for local shunting.

It is taking a while to wire the modules, two more to go to sort out and wire in plugs at one end.

Off  for a weeks holiday on Next Sunday, won't get much work done on the layout this week, hopping to get a couple of days in setting up three of the the modules so I start on the curve sections coming off the car port corner module will have double track extra length for the Indian Pacific when coming into Camdale Union station.

While at night I be designing the new station building, based on Sydney Central and New Orleans Union station, wont be having a clock tower, fingers crossed trains running by Christmas time, big event.

Tony from down under

post-31098-0-45435300-1538380669.jpg

post-31098-0-08513900-1538380688.jpg

post-31098-0-61579500-1538380710.jpg

post-31098-0-49766700-1538380736.jpg

post-31098-0-45435300-1538380669.jpg

post-31098-0-08513900-1538380688.jpg

post-31098-0-61579500-1538380710.jpg

post-31098-0-49766700-1538380736.jpg

• 2 months later...

Latest update, being a while, I finely  finished all the track work even swapped on the car port corner module , points around, so I can have a passing loop while the Indian Pacific passenger train has long track to fit the whole train without having to hold up the main line, had to b=move the bus wire and feeder wires re solder the to the track . Now I am going through all the six modules making sure those blocks are working from both ends, have done two and just finished another two modules , two days it took, all the blocks are working, I did a test with a light and bingo.

Pics 001 and 001a block 18 the block the IP will come into the approach module, pic 2 block 19 , pic 3 the bus wires to be connected to the bus wire plugs all 12  of them pic 4 showing  the 12 plugs , pic 5 same think more blocks from the next module.

I had some issues with blocks 8 and 9 , took a while to find out with the issue was had the isolator track joiners around the wrong way on the slip slip cross over was the same on the double slip.

When I finely plug up the main control panel all blocks will work, to test run the first loco on all 6 modules, next job is to build the transformer cradle , all up f our transformers, two remote throttles and two slide throttles for local shunting.

I have decided to aim  fro May next year for the completion of all  the other curve and straight decking  with track laid down ready for the  first train to roll can't wait big day.

Tony from down under

post-31098-0-40324300-1544011181.jpg

post-31098-0-07265800-1544011200.jpg

post-31098-0-59322300-1544011243.jpg

post-31098-0-98129300-1544011267.jpg

post-31098-0-95100900-1544011292.jpg

post-31098-0-14182400-1544011319.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to everyone, I have finely broken the dead of being on those modules for so long, have finely bridged the gap from the car port corner module all around to the bridge.

Will have to wait for a cool change before I start actually leveling the curved decking to the car port wall, plan to use shelf brackets for on the wall with hinge to fold back, in pic three I plan to build a tunnel on the large curve with a village with a branch line off the curve near the gate between the car port wall and fence , that's the plan .

I am now working on my bridge, it is a double Decker  road on top rail under neigh , the main arch be on top 3 foot high arch, to save on ply waste I am building the arch in pieces , got it worked out where as I at each piece the next hanger be added and a second piece to lock the arch in like they would do with the real bridge, The last few days I cut back on the rail deck sides to an inch high top and bottom, using the  off cuts for the arch hangers and the thicker width where the hanged screw onto, pics to follow.

The main span is 14 feet  and the full length 27 feet , height clearance to the water link is 19 inches enough height for my model ship I am modelling which is a Ro, Ro ship takes containers, Trucks and other cargo, beam is 305 mm by 2.160 meters long height about 14 inches from the water line, the ship is Finish owned  Transfennica has 4 cargo decks, 7 all up.

I am building the ships hull in 4 sections works out well with the length of the cardboard 1 mm sheets then when finished join the sections up  I plan to build a full hull for radio control,this build is a learning curve, it is real tough working out  scales to down size to the 1/87 scale and then redraw to the scale from the plans.

Waiting to later on in the afternoon to cut out the sides of the first parts to the bridge when it is cooler , going to be in the high 30's for the rest of the week, 36 degrees tomorrow, not much done outside to the cooler change comes in.

I got a new Rrobi  18 volt+one screw driver drill skin for Christmas, is has a electronic chuck in it, no more screws being burred and screwing the screws in too far and a lot quieter to the compact driver drill, that one be used for countersinking, speed up the work, three drills now, the days are gone with in the old days using cord powered drills .

Thinking of building a wood lathe jig using the old drill.

Happy new year from down under Tony 

post-31098-0-32425900-1546049615.jpg

post-31098-0-13399700-1546049630.jpg

post-31098-0-89246200-1546049649.jpg

post-31098-0-73507700-1546049665.jpg

post-31098-0-73486000-1546049680.jpg

post-31098-0-49629300-1546049693.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year 2019, I didn't have a good start spending 2 weeks of 2019 in  hospital coming home on Friday, it is also very hot here with no rain in site, plans are suffering, needing   attention in the cooler months.

I b able to finish off the spiral corner module in the afternoon sorting shifting the points and track and rewiring, in the mean time I pulled out an old project a DD35/B loco I rebuilt from a DD40 loco using 4 other shells m two were GP35 shells and two DD40 shells, I am tiding up the loco, rebuild the roof of the center of the loco and filling in the gaps ready to paint into UP colours.

My other project at night is modelling an European RO, RO ship on the top deck there is 8 trailer lanes she is quite wide 305mm beam length 2.160 meters 14 inches high , she be one of the features of the layout sitting passing under the bridge.

I am building her in 4 sections and will join them all up with two 18mm square dowel as part of the keel, being working on the bow section for some time now with a few set backs by having to rebuild 3 times before getting right, still not a 100 percent . she is a learning curve for the second build..

First two pics of the loco and last four of the ship , last two pics of the exhaust vents, last pic is how I made them, finish in a couple of nights there are also three smaller doors to mark and cut out, I am planning to wire in clear led lighting so when the stern ramps are down be able to see the detail of the side panels, the vents are all the way down to the stern.

Finishing off starboard side will complete the main deck of the first section and then be able to lay the keel down of the second section, all up 4 sections making up the hull.

Tony from down under

post-31098-0-07356500-1548107508_thumb.jpg

post-31098-0-40660800-1548107566.jpg

post-31098-0-04637300-1548107627_thumb.jpg

post-31098-0-86642500-1548107680_thumb.jpg

post-31098-0-87720000-1548107739_thumb.jpg

post-31098-0-50658000-1548107770_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Being a couple of months since I have being on, Camdale is on hold at the moment, we may moving soon down sizing to a unit , should get the keys this week to have a look at the unit,, where the unit is be a possibility Camdale be reborn, unit is at the end of the block of units and has two balconies and green space and hope the car port be beside it.

I have joined a new train club and donated the layout to them, waiting on space at the bowls cub work shop and garage, if that doesn't happen next is store the modules at my Mum's place she has plenty of room and Camdale be reborn there. 

At to moment I have being working on my double deck arch bridge spanning 14 feet, arch is about 3 foot high and will have a second arch a foot down bracing the hangers stopping them from bowing and twisting out of shape, all the arches are cut now which are in one half full piece speeding o=up construction and  saving on a sore back and legs bending down 

I have marked out two ends of the and end pieces for the road deck ,rest day today working on a storage box that will fit a 5 car DMU set =, plan is to be able to drive the full set out onto the main line, have to work on refining the box so it it true  to the track and key has to be on an angle, pics to come .

Tony from down under

IMG_2786.jpg

I have finely finished the long storage train box fitting 5 car DMU set in one full piece so I can actually drive it out onto the track , have made a special ramp that will sit on the track and the ramp has to be at a the right angle for it to lock onto the track.

Like the  new way the pics are loaded onto the post much bigger, awesome, the first pic is the box set  up on the track with the ramp which is locked in place and lined up, had a bit of trouble , found out why the  lead loco was derailing, I had to file the track like you would when building a point , works perfect. I haven't tested the train coming out will have to set up two sets of saw horses to join the  two 7 ft bridge sections to be able to do that., over the weekend.

Now I have to cut the packing that will keep the train on the track and lid weekend job, layout is still at a stand still  as I said could be moving in the next few weeks, if the club doesn't take the layout, have a back up plan Camdalebe going to my mum's house she has plenty of room  and more suited for a garden railway being a flat front and back yard, can't wait if this happens..

Tony from down under

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

• 1 month later...

Being a month since I have being on, have being busy finished off my double deck bridge,, good news is I have joined the two halves together, going to leave the bridge in one full piece now, I needed to get the bridge lower deck done so I can paint and lay the track down, full length be 20 feet, mainly the road deck.

First two pics different angles of the bridge,, pic 3 the rail deck, pic 4 the road deck and last pic what the bridge wipp look like when finished, the bridge will go where the the corner pergola post is 18 inches out and  second pier be where the hose is on the edge of the pavers .

My model ship when finished will sit in under the middle of the bridge till I build a second ship, the road deck wont go on till the track is down , might use 9 mm ply for the road deck to keep the weight down, while not in use I will build a second pier to go in  under the middle of the bridge, incase the neighbourhood cat decides to jump up onto the bridge at night.

Got one more hanger to screw in place , then IU be working on building the piers wide enough for a besser brick to fit into each pier so hopefully the bridge stand up on its own.

Tony from cold down under

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

Story Bridge Brisbane  a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Being some time since I was last active, being in hospital twice and nursing a bad cut on my leg, needed stitchers only half, had an argument with a tree branch, tree branch won, have o be careful I don't bump my leg and the cut start bleeding, took three weeks to stop bleeding.

Last fortnight after recovering coming out of hospital I decided to redesign my layout going back to the old design, the two corner modules were changed o the new track plan, bridge is at the back of the layout and station moules at the front, the Tehachapi Loop, basing the spiral on that loop, layout be 56 feet in length now  by about 21 feet wide.

The first three pics of the carport corner module , big changes with cross over and point improvements  to last design, next two pics of the corner spiral module changes. The smaller cross over giving access to auto car carrier wagon loading and unloading dock siding and a reverse loop and shunt siding for the Indian Pacific.

Pics 6 and  7 big changes with swapping the bridge around and the curve track decking becoming the second curved station platforms, I am also planning a working lock for the ship to gain height to the upper chanel to the port based on the Immingham port to come later after layout is up and running

Yesterday I made the two main piers for the bridge, wide enough to fit pavers for weight th piers down so the bridge will sit on the piers without having to screw the piers to the floor, my piers will have arches on the front of them mainly for show , based on the Story Bridge ion the Brisbane river.

Have a lot to do changing the control panel panel that is on the last station module around  as  with most of the other wiring, a slight set back, aiming to have the trains running this year, I am itching to run my new train O got for my birthday a Mehano prestige ICE 3, 8 car set .

It is starting to warm up, hope we are not in for a hot summer, next Monday 31 degrees and still August.

Tony from cool down under

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

60_big.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have scrapped the double deck bridge to just a rail bridge to start off with and later add a road bridge beside the rail bridge, the change has sure sped up the construction time of my layout build with now track down and the bridge set p levellec in where it be going to the track plan.

I have anchored down the northern end of the bridge, all I need to do, next stage of the construction is the ramp to the back of the layout, quarter inch a foot drop on about 40 feet in length works out 7 inching height difference.

The Elizabeth river bridge I have based my bridge on, the only difference is only tw piers instead of 16 and also bassing the river on the Kiel canal in Germany which got me hooked  on the Ro Ro ship project .

Pic 144136, I started the ramp grade on the bridge, giving that extra length needed and not so tight, there is a curve section coming off the bridge 12 foot radius curve about ten feet in length.

Be starting on the ramp today and tomorrow will finish the ramp ready to paint and nail track down, linking up the back of the layout at long last.

Tony from warm down under

Elizaberth River bridge first Ghan crossing a A.jpg

20191002_144028.jpg

20191002_144055.jpg

20191002_144115.jpg

20191002_144136.jpg

holtenauer183edekaskyiuq8x  a.jpg

Kiel-Canal-mouth-Elbe-River-Germany-Baltic.jpg

Edited by ozamrr
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Happy new year to everyone on the forum, have some news, we have moved to a  new address and was able to take Camdale with us, bran new house but smaller only two bed rooms only two of us, smaller yard, quite a good size, layout is well under way drawn up the track plan main line to start off with, has a 3mx3m garden shed bigger to what I had in the old place, Now have plenty of room to work on a module , will have be in th elate afternoon , to dam hot here now, humidity killing it as well .

The first two pics is of the area  where the layout be going , all up with the second stage going up the side of the house 16 feet , stage one is 44 feet by 31 feet ,  the bridge will be redesigned.

Next two pics the final track plan, forth pic a close up of second stage with two reverse loops to turn the  Indian Pacific and Ghan passenger trains around, especially the Ghan train leaving Alice Springs has to be turned around to go the right way over the Elizabeth river bridge bridge and  on its way to Darwin .

I still will be having a spiral basing  my spiral on the Williams Loop in California as in pic five, pics 6 and 7 inside y garden shed, have started lifting off the track and points of the old approach module which will be no more, pic 6 will see to the right of the right of the pic the next module to be modified ,  Will have to pic the cooler days, next week be cooler low 30's being too dam hot and humid, shed be pretty hot during the day.

How I built the bridge at the old place too hard to set up, so the new bridge will be built into a 14foot length, joining up with two 7 ft half, side of the bridge  will have 10 foot strips be a lot stronger , second last pic a drawing of the new bridge, arch be in one whole piece this time, haven't worked ou where I will store the bridge yet, last pic is what I be basing my bridge on.

No construction till mid March when the days are cooler, I hope to do a mock-up of the bridge next week and spiral , always wanted to model the Williams loop  facing the right way, even the bridge will look better with the ship sitting just under it. Yes can also fit in a Ro-Ro port excited, heat stopping me.

Tony from hot down under.

004.jpg

20191231_185326.jpg

20200120_111209.jpg

20200122_084508.jpg

Williams loop Feather River UP route.jpg

20200119_155926.jpg

20200119_161432.jpg

20200121_194606.jpg

20200121_201154.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Construction is well under way on the new Camdale HO scale garden railway  starting off with constructing the new rail road above arch bridge , bridge will be build in one full 14 foot span instead of three 7 foot pieces being hard to join and lift in place , First stage be 44 by 30 feet, second and third stage be adding  16 feet and a second third stage will have the second suburban station, planning to model a spiral based on the William loop on the Union Pacific Feather river route.

The main station complex be still as is from the the old layout only difference is be only 5 modules instead of six and a new approach module and two corner modules starting work in the cooler months mid March.

I am thinking of going DCC  after June being talked into buy Digikijs half the price to NCE and Lenzs , is Wi-Fi and can use my mobile phone as a controller can't wait, do have two passenger trains with DCC  TGV and ICE3 on board and a loco ,, start saving up for DCC decoders , not sound at this stage .

First pic the real bridge that I be basing my bridge on , next pic the drawing with a side plan drawing on the main beam side be in three pieces and second piece be in two lengths, last three pics is of the mock-up of how the arch be constructed. I am waiting on my brother to bring his battery jig saw to cut the wider curved decking down to 1 and a half  arches, be starting work on joining the two 7 foot decking together this week while it is slightly cooler to work in the garden shed.

Tony from warm cloudy down under

5d306d9018356168398b463e.jpg

20200209_195554.jpg

20200214_150157.jpg

20200214_150132.jpg

20200214_150221.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris , yeah we do brand new had a lock up garage and patio nearly as big as what we had in the old place, yep have a new track plan, not as big as  what I had planned to build, big enough 44 feet by 30 feet 6 inches, could make the layout bigger later and now have a bigger shed  too.

At this stage I am basing the new track plan on the famous Tehachapi loop , that can change if the grade doesn't work out will change to the Williams loop on the same route  in California.

Big day will be starting work on the bridge cutting the bridge beams and  have a o at using the saw to cut the large arches for the bridge , then make a start on modifying the modules to fit into the new garden shed which is a 3 by 3 metre square , much bigger then what I had.

Have decided to work on a smaller layout  so I can have the trains running sooner as all my train clubs have being shut down because of this virus, all the train shows I go to have postponed till next years events , we are just about in full lock down here in down under, only two can go out only shopping and to medical appointments, schools in my state are still open but for how long we don't know. Me and my wife are ok here so far.

Everyone please stay health , Tony from down under

20200328_074611.jpg

• 10 months later...

Being a while, nearly a yeah sure fly's by too quickly , coming up to March 2021, have being busy, the bridge is finely finished even with track down , only needing bus wiring ,  

I have yet again redesigned cut the layout down to 36 feet to make sure I have enough track, the bridge is 14 feet in length main span  in one full piece, I leave the bridge in the  garage , is quite heavy to lift up, glad the main construction is finished and actually works.

No sagging in the middle as you can see , the only design that has worked, will have to be a separate road bridge at the side of the rail bridge, bridge is based on the Elizabeth river bridge Northern Territory Australia, I will have the boat ramp as scenery and a road in under the bridge to access stairs platform to the stairs in the tubing of the arch only see the door may be open and the  hang gliders jumping off the top of the arch , some thing different .

Tony from down under

20201110_131714.jpg

20201110_131729.jpg

763628672_ElizaberthRiverbridgefirstGhancrossingaA.jpg.f1dc0b42eab76df9c14ad4d58e13378a.jpg

IMG_2086.thumb.jpg.134890980a296d01556b69da16b14d69.jpg

Have a new track plan which is coming along nicely I didn't have time yesterday to set up all the station modules so did a mock-up with the tape measure to see if the corner approach fitted in well with the track plan, it with 6 inches to spare.

That will give me room to connect the main track deking to the main line saving freight trains interring the station complex , they still can because I have a separate track for freight trans .

The good news is I can have my vertical staging set up in under the patio to make un trains away from the rest of the layout, that come later.

Where the tape  measure is and the ruler is the 18foot mark  pics one and two , pic three the start of the station module complex i8 inches in from sliding doors . Third pic is where the return curved decking will go and a connecting approach module to save on curved decking 

On a high Tony from down under.

20210206_171852.jpg

20210206_171938.jpg

20210206_172034.jpg

Forth pic I couldn't fit in, actually I am amazed that the pics fitted in forgot to resize them , no wonder they took a while to down load .

The pic is of the 20 connector plugs that control the 20 blocks and three throttles getting there..

Tony from down under

20210201_134804.jpg

Edited by ozamrr
Trying to downsize pics in the other thread