Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Superb acceleration I wonder how fast they could accelerate if really opened up? Looks quicker than my car

I was in the cab of a class 87 light engine which took off like a sports car. With a dry rail even a relatively light engine did not appear to suffer from wheelslip, perhaps aided by some primitive protection in the 1970s electronics.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This might be the only modern image thing I want to buy.....

If you like this one you will probably want to check out the 88 as well.

Strangely Dapol are yet to announce the model officially. Perhaps the release date is a part of the deal with DRS?

• RMweb Premium

If you like this one you will probably want to check out the 88 as well.

Strangely Dapol are yet to announce the model officially. Perhaps the release date is a part of the deal with DRS?

This may partially answer the question

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77952-Dapol-announce-rights-to-n-oo-gauge-class-68/&do=findComment&comment=1205693

Cheers,

Mick

What I find intetesting is that Hornby were sniffing around this.i wonder if the wheelbase and bogie centres already matched an existing model such as their class 67?

Might have been easy to lop an 68 body onto a modified 67 or whatevers chassis.

At least we know Hornby are or were fishing to bring out a brand new modern loco.maybe now they will retool one of their own old models instead......

Edited by ThaneofFife

What I find intetesting is that Hornby were sniffing around this.i wonder if the wheelbase and bogie centres already matched an existing model such as their class 67?

Might have been easy to lop an 68 body onto a modified 67 or whatevers chassis.

At least we know Hornby are or were fishing to bring out a brand new modern loco.maybe now they will retool one of their own old models instead......

The class 67 has metal chassis and it is different from the 68s so it isn't usable. I think Hornby genuinely wanted to make a brand new model. When it comes to retooling they already have all their modern diesels up to standard (expect 59) so I doubt there will be a retool.

We also know very well what else modern needs retooling and we also know this won't happen by Hornby.

• Like 1

The class 67 has metal chassis and it is different from the 68s so it isn't usable. I think Hornby genuinely wanted to make a brand new model. When it comes to retooling they already have all their modern diesels up to standard (expect 59) so I doubt there will be a retool.

We also know very well what else modern needs retooling and we also know this won't happen by Hornby.

The 66 isn't really up to standard - it's not anywhere near as good as the Bachmann one. Neither is the 47 (either of their toolings), or the Deltic. Plus all of the AC electrics are very dated.

The 66 isn't really up to standard - it's not anywhere near as good as the Bachmann one. Neither is the 47 (either of their toolings), or the Deltic. Plus all of the AC electrics are very dated.

Yes, I forgot they produce a 66. But since Heljan recently accounted a H0 version (may be a rescale is on the way?) and Bachmann already have a nice OO version I doubt Hornby will bother.

When it comes to the ACs.. well, this is what I was referring to in the last sentence. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair to Hornby all the above are marketed/priced as cheaper alternatives to the Bachmann/Heljan 'super detail' models. The Deltic has only ever been for the 'Railroad' discount range, with the 47 being there as well for the last couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Please could anyone help me with the following questions?

When are Dapol due to release the Class 68 in 00 gauge?

What running numbers are going to be produced?

Are any going to be produced in the Northern Belle livery as rumoured to happen in reality?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Are any going to be produced in the Northern Belle livery as rumoured to happen in reality?

Rumour is not reality.

I'm sure Dapol wouldn't produce one in an as-yet unconfirmed livery.

Running number will probably be in the 68001-68015 range............ :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Rumour is not reality.

I'm sure Dapol wouldn't produce one in an as-yet unconfirmed livery.

Running number will probably be in the 68001-68015 range............ :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you for the information.

I understand rumour is not always reality but I have heard recently that 832 is due an exam soon and could be taken out of traffic permanently like 802. This would mean their would no longer be a pair of Northern Belle locos.

Yes I thought it would be.

Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

I understand rumour is not always reality but I have heard recently that 832 is due an exam soon and could be taken out of traffic permanently like 802. This would mean their would no longer be a pair of Northern Belle locos.

The wnxx forum is even worse than RMweb for froth, rumour, counter-rumour and complete speculation. DRS always seem to generate more than their fair share of interesting stories. e.g.  20309 was rumoured to be going to Brush for a "special project" after it failed last week. It certainly looked and sounded fine trundling through Carlisle yesterday with 37423 in tow.

Getting back to the 68's, Dapol have issued a press release updating lots of projects across three scales, but no mention of the 68.

Cheers,

Mick

Talking to Neil McNicolas last Friday at a talk, I enquired about the Class 68 model. He immediately emailed away to get an answer. He later confirmed Dapol are to produce the Class 68 under exclusive rights and were due to visit on-site this week to take photos and measurements (I dont know did this actually happen). A slight tangent he also mentioned due to EU regulation of engine emissions, only 41 Class 68s can ever be produced. He also confirmed that the Class 68 shall not be in Northern Belle livery, but he expects more Class 47s to be placed in that livery to live out their days. I think the Class 68 model is a long way off! (But we might also find it in a certain silver and grey livery ;) )

Thank you for the information.

Yes I thought it would be.

Thank you.

Nothing to stop them painting another 47 in NB livery though, is there!