Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, Running water in a Stream is far easier to replicate, and more fun as you can improvise more with Rocks and River Beds etc.

There are stretches of inland river which have been "canalised" to be fit for barge traffic (e.g. the River Wey Navigation at Guildford) so if you would prefer running water .......

Cheers

Chris

Relax Mate it looks fine to me, have a great day with Nick tomorrow don't forget to take your camera with you ?....

Couldn't make Ruddington so will be pleased to see your pictures.

Hi George and Peter, I'm now NOT going to Ruddington, various reasons,  :O but Nick suggested it may not be worth the drive over there. :O  :O

At this point in time it looks fine to me.

Slight ripple in the water, who's to say it's not the backwash after a barge has just passed, or the spots on the surface - just starting to rain!!!
Worst bits - stick a duck/swan/or some other featured flying object! on it to draw the eye away.
Or a bit of flotsam, drifting by, hiding areas of concern.

Also a slight breeze ruffling the surface of the water slightly........

Paint a few lilies or plant growth coming out from the bank to break up the area.

From the pictures supplied I wouldn't do anything until it is dry, looking at the thickness I'd wait a month for it to cure all the way through.....

I agree Kevin, I won't be adding any more layers now, and I will leave it some considerable time and add something in the way of Foliage or something at a later date if necessary.

Ye

There are stretches of inland river which have been "canalised" to be fit for barge traffic (e.g. the River Wey Navigation at Guildford) so if you would prefer running water .......

Cheers

Chris

Yes, and to think I used to swim in the Wey at Byfleet when I lived at Addlestone back the early 60's, (1960's that is, before anyone ask's).

There is also the Wash from Dore Locks, just beyond the Rail Bridge to consider.

• RMweb Premium

. . . . 1960's . . . . . .

Anno Domini?

Did they have canals BC?

T'is looking good Andy. Please don't start worrying or it may adversely impact on how you feel about the rest of the layout.

Anno Domini?

Did they have canals BC?

T'is looking good Andy. Please don't start worrying or it may adversely impact on how you feel about the rest of the layout.

Cheers Ray, No, it won't affect anything else, or how I feel, as once I have other things to look at, and things to take the eye away from it, it will just be a feature of the Canal.

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed watching your videos with my toast this morning Andy. I forgotten what a Crompton sound like!

You have managed a great job on the canal water with varnish :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: .

As a cabinet maker I hate the stuff and am on board with John where poly urethane is concerned not least because you can just sand the stuff off when its dry. Three coats should be good, applied sparingly.  On furniture the first just gets soaked up and must be "denibbed" (lightly sanded with very fine sand paper!) and blown off with compressed air. The second  should come up smooth and can also be denibbed using the back of the sand paper. For modeling water, the top coat will need to be gloss. I have discovered  that if the base shrinks such as the 6mm MDF I used on my layout, some cracking may occur. So a quick denibbing and another coat of gloss will repair it but this will not work with normal varnishes because they don't like being sanded!

Regards Shaun.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed watching your videos with my toast this morning Andy. I forgotten what a Crompton sound like!

You have managed a great job on the canal water with varnish :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: .

As a cabinet maker I hate the stuff and am on board with John where poly urethane is concerned not least because you can just sand the stuff off when its dry. Three coats should be good, applied sparingly.  On furniture the first just gets soaked up and must be "denibbed" (lightly sanded with very fine sand paper!) and blown off with compressed air. The second  should come up smooth and can also be denibbed using the back of the sand paper. For modeling water, the top coat will need to be gloss. I have discovered  that if the base shrinks such as the 6mm MDF I used on my layout, some cracking may occur. So a quick denibbing and another coat of gloss will repair it but this will not work with normal varnishes because they don't like being sanded!

Regards Shaun.  

Very interesting Shaun. In my dinghy-sailing days I was taught to thin down the first coat so that it soaked into the wood properly but not to denib it, as that would leave the ends of the fibres showing. My teacher told me to sand only the second and subsequent coats (all marine-grade polyurethane of course).

More than one way to kill a cat...

And in other news, yesterday saw some weathering jobs being done, both for myself and friends.

Firstly I had to do a Coach for a Mate, Ashley, (the younger one), for a Weed Killing Train, I did the other two and the Locos and Tanks about a year ago, so had to TRY to remember how I did it, and TRY to match it, I don't know which was the original and which one I did yesterday now.

attachicon.gifWeathering Diesels 001.JPG

Then for another Ashley, (the Older) a Bachmann WD.

attachicon.gifWeathering Diesels 007.JPG

Next a few of mine, the first being a Lima 20, Large Logo on the left, (with the guts removed) for Double Heading.

attachicon.gifWeathering 004.JPG

And then a couple of 37's, 2 X 47's and a 50, I hate doing Grey roofed Loco's, they are so difficult to get right IMHO, as the Louvre's are always oily.

attachicon.gifWeathering Diesels 006.JPG

attachicon.gifWeathering 002.JPG

attachicon.gifWeathering 001.JPG

attachicon.gifWeathering 003.JPG

No pic of this one, it's a Railfreight LL 47, as the Body is off awaiting the Sound chip that has just arrived a few minutes ago.

Or the Cl 50, 50046 Ajax with a Black Roof, I don't know why I didn't photograph that one either.

Nicely set of weathered stuff Andy, like the roof on the 47.

Regards Shaun.  

Very interesting Shaun. In my dinghy-sailing days I was taught to thin down the first coat so that it soaked into the wood properly but not to denib it, as that would leave the ends of the fibres showing. My teacher told me to sand only the second and subsequent coats (all marine-grade polyurethane of course).

More than one way to kill a cat...

Morning Guys, Thanks both for your input and info, I'm not a rubbing down sort of person, even on white paint work, that's the bit I hate.

As I'm now not out today, I intend to get the Canal Board outside in the sunshine and get some pics for you all, and then I'll stick it in place on the Layout and take some more there as well.

Nicely set of weathered stuff Andy, like the roof on the 47.

Thanks Marmannd14, very kind of you, and as I said, I hate trying to get those light Grey roofs to look natural, but I'm pleased with it now.

Looks great, nice reflection of the bridge in the murky canal water.....

I assume you have decided to leave for a while to see how things dry?

Thanks Kevin, Yes, I won't be adding any more layers at all now, the clear parts look deep, and you cant see much in Canals any way, so I'm happy with it now, I'm putting it in the Conservatory today so that it has warmth and sun light, as although it's sunny out side, it still looks a little showery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Varnish applied thickly can take ages to dry and damp days don't help.

The surface doesn't have to be that smooth

post-8525-0-80934700-1501415213_thumb.jpg

and someone has had trouble with the surface under the bridge 

post-8525-0-38990500-1501415222_thumb.jpg

A few Swans or Ducks could do it

post-8525-0-65492200-1407570297_thumb.jpg

Don

• Like 8

Varnish applied thickly can take ages to dry and damp days don't help.

The surface doesn't have to be that smooth

attachicon.gifcanal1.jpg

and someone has had trouble with the surface under the bridge 

attachicon.gifcanal2.jpg

A few Swans or Ducks could do it

Don

Thanks Don, and hey, what lovely pics, I do like the one with the Boats tied up at the top, but the Swans and Signets is definitely an Aghhhhhhhhhhh moment, superb, thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don, and hey, what lovely pics, I do like the one with the Boats tied up at the top, but the Swans and Signets is definitely an Aghhhhhhhhhhh moment, superb, thanks.

Andy the one with the Boats is on the Llangollen canal by Colemere heading along the towpath towards Ellesmere probably somewhere you might pass through on your travels. lovely walk right round the mere and you can access the towpath on the far side from the carpark.

The swans and signets was on one of the drainage cuts north of Tywyn close to the railway line heading to Fairbourne and the Bridge. When visiting the TalyLlyn we walked north on the footpath then along the Dysynni 

You are doing a lovely job on this layout.

Don

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

Can I suggest you leave the canal alone for a while. Go and weather some wagons or sort them cows out in the field next to Dore End Station. :sungum: :sungum:

Hi Clive, Yes as I said earlier, I won't be putting any more layers into the Canal now until I get around to doing the detailing which could be at least a year or so away.

The Cows are gone, and some Sheep have been purchased from a Farmer in Wales so should be here soon, I think there walking here, hahah :no:  :no:

As for weathering, I have loads to do, but that's for when I do other stuff at the same time.

• Like 2

Andy the one with the Boats is on the Llangollen canal by Colemere heading along the towpath towards Ellesmere probably somewhere you might pass through on your travels. lovely walk right round the mere and you can access the towpath on the far side from the carpark.

The swans and signets was on one of the drainage cuts north of Tywyn close to the railway line heading to Fairbourne and the Bridge. When visiting the TalyLlyn we walked north on the footpath then along the Dysynni 

Don

Thanks for the compliment on the Layout Don, and also for the info on the Canals around Llangollen, I've never stopped to look at them on our way to Bala, I really must make the effort to see more of that area.

Don

Don that walk along the canal at Colemere is one of my favourites especially towards Ellesmere where the canal follows the shore of Blakemere and onto the canal tunnel ...wonderful place for scenic ideas and inspiration .... :sungum:     and excellent bird spotting too

• Like 4

Hi Clive, Yes as I said earlier, I won't be putting any more layers into the Canal now until I get around to doing the detailing which could be at least a year or so away.

The Cows are gone, and some Sheep have been purchased from a Farmer in Wales so should be here soon, I think there walking here, hahah :no:  :no:

As for weathering, I have loads to do, but that's for when I do other stuff at the same time.

Oh no Andy you haven't bought Welsh sheep have you  :scared:  :scared: .....their for escaping and I now fear ' rail kill '  now that could be interesting to model  :jester:  :jester:

Don that walk along the canal at Colemere is one of my favourites especially towards Ellesmere where the canal follows the shore of Blakemere and onto the canal tunnel ...wonderful place for scenic ideas and inspiration .... :sungum:     and excellent bird spotting too

Oh no Andy you haven't bought Welsh sheep have you  :scared:  :scared: .....their ###### for escaping and I now fear ' rail kill '  now that could be interesting to model  :jester:  :jester:

Don't worry about Rail Kill, I think they may drop off the edge of the Universe first. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

post-9335-0-09936200-1501453916_thumb.jpg

• Like 1