Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

boxerbayrailway

Where does the time go ? Summer almost over, Only a day before Telford ! Hope everyone who is lucky enough to attend has a great time, and perhaps a little video for us who can't make it will appear on Utube ?

A quick update on a newly finished project for Boxer Bay Jct. I haven't had as much time as I'd hoped this Summer, but I did manage to finish my first major structure, the loco shed, kit by LCut, it seemed just right for my Col. Stephens line, and a good fit for my small station at Boxer Bay Jct. Overall I was very happy with the kit, everything fit pretty good, and was easy to build with simple wood glue. Instructions could have been better - what else is new ! Painting and weathering was easy, with chalk powders giving the final touch. I'm still learning and think my weathering is getting better, but I also build within my limits, so I maintain a consistent level throughout my modelling. Here is a few photos of how the scene now looks, starting to look more like a Railway. Hope Everyone has a Great Time @ Telford Guildex  :biggrin_mini2:  clear.png Cheers, Felix

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  "Col. ~ The Water's Arrived !"   There was much rejoicing in Boxer Bay,  another important structure is now complete  (at least for now).  A very nice resin kit by Skytrex (originally by NMB models I believe).   It looks very impressive and definitely demonstrates the awesome size of O scale structures.  I'm happy that I didn't try to jam in more track then I'd originally wanted to !   With the position of the loco shed and tower,  it frames the view of passing trains through the station nicely.

water%2Btower%2B5.JPG

Who am I kidding,  building these structures is just delaying the unavoidable track ballasting,  guess I'd better start soon,  maybe tomorrow,  or next week,  it'll kill a few cold dark Winter hours I'm sure.    Cheers !

water%2Btower%2B2.jpg

water%2Btower.jpg

• Like 14

Have you given any thought to the end-of-line stop behind the shed? 

Yes,   I'll be putting in a wooden make shift buffer stop,  the area back there is meant to be a place of storage for random parts and rubbish,  probably some form of storage shed or

work area.  Still lots to do and nothing even close to being finished,  still have detailing to add to the loco shed and water tower.  One of the best things about O scale for me

is there will always be something to add or do,  I imagine I'll be working on this layout 20 years from now (if I'm lucky :)  which is why it's built to be moved easily just incase of a house move.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Operating my railway the other day, I decided it was time to make it less flat, and discovered I had a nice plaster casting of a stone bridge that just happened to be the right size for a small bridge, so out came the saws, carving knives and an afternoon of some fun later, this is the result, a small creek. I like the fact that it's another lower then track level scene. Next up is painting & weathering the bridge, as well as maybe a detail or 2, and installation. This is what I really enjoy about building a layout, scenery, so much fun :) 

9.JPG

Edited by colstephens
  • Like 9

Save the offcuts/chippings from the foam. One technique I previously used with scenery was to scatter small bits of this stuff over the flat surface, then use a mix of 3 parts PVA with 1 part water (and a splash of isopropyl alcohol) with paper towels on top to form the scenery base layer. This was to create a random, uneven top surface to the scenery base layer.

This is what I really enjoy about building a layout, scenery, so much fun :) 

9.JPG

You might like the scenery side of railway modeling,but your two helpers in the picture don`t look to impressed with the prospect......!!

Brian.

You might like the scenery side of railway modeling,but your two helpers in the picture don`t look to impressed with the prospect......!!

Brian.

That's because they're paid rather poorly,  due to the railway's severely limited budget  ;)   They get digs in a wood box !! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
 Just a bit of fun :)  quickly filmed video featuring a " special " delivery to Windrush Junction.  Work on the railway for 2017 is about finished for the year.  A lot has been accomplished considering the limited time I've had to work on it.  All track / electrical work complete,  control panels finished,  extension to fiddle / storage sidings in closet finished (* topic of future post),  track painted,  platforms built,  main station building,  loco shed,  and water tower all built and mostly finished say a little weathering / detailing. Fortunately a lot more modelling to look forward to in 2018,  so much to do ;)
From the staff of the B.B.R. ~ 
We Wish Everyone a Happy Holiday Season,  and a Super Healthy Fun Productive 2018  !      Cheers,   Felix

• Like 9

Just a bit of fun :)  quickly filmed video featuring a " special " delivery to Windrush Junction.  Work on the railway for 2017 is about finished for the year.  A lot has been accomplished considering the limited time I've had to work on it.  All track / electrical work complete,  control panels finished,  extension to fiddle / storage sidings in closet finished (* topic of future post),  track painted,  platforms built,  main station building,  loco shed,  and water tower all built and mostly finished say a little weathering / detailing. Fortunately a lot more modelling to look forward to in 2018,  so much to do ;)
From the staff of the B.B.R. ~ 

We Wish Everyone a Happy Holiday Season,  and a Super Healthy Fun Productive 2018  !      Cheers,   Felix

I love this layout. It tempts me to lift Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp and replace them with a continuous circuit, but an inconviently located pillar that supports part of the first floor of our house limits the width unless I am brave enough to go through it.

Best wishes for Christmas,

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks Chris,   

I must admit it is very nice to have the option to just run trains when the mood strikes,  and then switch over to more serious operation

which I'm looking forward to developing overtime,  once I get more stock and the scenic side progresses a bit more.  4ft radius does limit 

the stock a bit but luckily I prefer the smaller & ancient Victorian locos the best  -   any chance of a Dean Goods from Minerva  wink wink nudge nudge  :)

I really enjoyed your recent article in the Gazette on Cwm Bach,  such a level of detail you've put into it,  I'm hoping to get to do a bit of that in '18

Looking forward to that riveted Pannier tank  ;)      Cheers  Felix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the last Goods service has departed Windrush Junction for Boxer Bay in 1917.

Got the camera out tonight and couldn't resist a quick shot. Lots of projects planned for 1918  (I mean 2018  :sarcastichand: ),

I'll be happy if I can get to half of them !    Happy New Year Everyone clear.png

2018.jpg

Edited by boxerbayrailway
  • Like 10

Well the last Goods service has departed Windrush Junction for Boxer Bay in 1917.

Got the camera out tonight and couldn't resist a quick shot. Lots of projects planned for 1918  (I mean 2018  :sarcastichand: ),

I'll be happy if I can get to half of them !    Happy New Year Everyone clear.png

2018.jpg

And a happy new year to you, Felix.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A cheap project completed for my dock,  buffer stops.   Got these off of ebay,  made by Lima decades ago.  Thought they'd be okay after a bit of modification,  

I removed the modernish European buffers, sanding and fitting a solid wood beam.  Also a repaint with acrylics,  and some weathering with washes / powders made an improvement.  Final touch was a new top layer of ballast.  Overall very happy with them and the total cost,  for 2  including shipping was $6 USD !

Woodland Scenics ballast has been ordered so ballasting the track will begin soon  :)

IMG_1532.JPG

Edited by boxerbayrailway
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

It's been along time since my last post.  I've been busy with many different projects over the last 4 months,  and I'll be posting some updates soon of 

major developments on the railway.   I've also been working on my first coach,  a Slaters 4 wheel 3rd class GWR kit,  which will be painted in our own BBR livery 

of dark blue / black,  very close to the S&D colours.  Chassis is basically complete and awaiting the paint shop,  body construction is next.  Overall enjoyable kit even if a bit fiddly,

glad I only need 3 coaches altogether.    Weather is improving (Finally ! :sungum: )  so painting will commence soon.   Cheers,  Felix

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a long hard day at work, what could be a better welcome home then the following sight ?

IMG_1925.JPG

Minerva 57xx Riveted Pannier Tank, a GWR Iron Mink van, plus the G0G May Gazette, and Niki guarding it until my arrival :)  

There was a bit of a delay at US customs which held the package for something like 8 or 9 days ! Very nice model from Minerva, gave it a quick test run around the railway, super smooth and quiet. A couple quick photos

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

So what is a Col Stephens line doing with a 57xx ? Well that's a good question. There has been an extension added to the railway, which was planned. The line now cuts through a wall and into an adjacent closet to form a fiddle / storage area. That will represent a connection with the GWR, or S&D depending on what mood I'm in. The Boxer Bay Railway commences at "Windrush Junction" and curves off heading for Boxer Bay docks. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.  Now I need to get up my courage and have a go at weathering a loco or two,  wagons I enjoy,  locos make me nervous !  Nice model again Chris, looking forward to the Manning Wardle which will be a BBR loco.

• Like 9