3D printed road vehicles

grahame

I see on the what's next section of Osborns 3D printed N/2mm vehicles section of their website they mention doing as "already in the pipeline for release shortly": 

Ford D Tipper
Ford D Van
Mk1 Ford Transit

A bit of a shame that as there is already a Ford D series 3D printed truck from Soehaves at Shapeways (in both early and later variants) and Mk1 Ford Transits are available in white metal from R Parker and 3D printed from RailNscale and Redandy (including RTP). I'd have thought that, for the period of those vehicles, a Bedford TK truck would have been a better and more unique (as a N/2mm model) option.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grahame said:

I see on the what's next section of Osborns 3D printed N/2mm vehicles section of their website they mention doing as "already in the pipeline for release shortly": 

Ford D Tipper
Ford D Van
Mk1 Ford Transit

A bit of a shame that as there is already a Ford D series 3D printed truck from Soehaves at Shapeways (in both early and later variants) and Mk1 Ford Transits are available in white metal from R Parker and 3D printed from RailNscale and Redandy (including RTP). I'd have thought that, for the period of those vehicles, a Bedford TK truck would have been a better and more unique (as a N/2mm model) option.

A Bedford CF would be a great alternative to the Transit.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

Has anyone done a Thames Trader?   I'd like do one but details seem to be scarce.

Mike

Osbournes do a Thames Trader already.

• Thanks 1

Hi all yes its nice that Osborns have some cmmercial vehicles under development ,would love to see a selaction of Bedford TK's

Only ones I still think that are available are the white metal (Fleetline models ) by Lytchett Manor Models.

They also seem to do the complete ex Fleetline range as well.

Regards Ray.

3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

PG Models used to do the military MK variant that had a better cab than the Fleetline version.

They also did the TK in pantechnion and airfield control forms, like the rest of the range, they were very well done.

Edited by m0rris
  • Agree 2

On 02/04/2021 at 10:25, Trewisin said:

Only ones I still think that are available are the white metal (Fleetline models ) by Lytchett Manor Models.

23 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

PG Models used to do the military MK variant that had a better cab than the Fleetline version.

I'm not so sure that either are still available or at least are very difficult to source. And I seem to recall that both were rather dated in their style, had solid windows without open cabs and lacked the fine details found on current 3D printed models.

Hopefully someone can confirm/deny and provide a link of where they can be obtained.

• RMweb Gold

Paul Gandy, of PG Models, stopped producing models last year upon retirement.  Kits can still be found at some model railway shops but items are getting scarce.  I think Paul's last production might have been the Nubian Mk.9 RAF/Royal Navy fire truck.

Mike

1 hour ago, grahame said:

I'm not so sure that either are still available or at least are very difficult to source. And I seem to recall that both were rather dated in their style, had solid windows without open cabs and lacked the fine details found on current 3D printed models.

Yes, as I said 'used to do'. Also yes, both solid but Paul's one was both a better shape and more accurate size. While the windows were soild at least it didn't have print lines, so swings and roundabouts there. Maybe Oxford will shrink their 4mm TK one day; perhaps not this Decade Century though!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Maybe Oxford will shrink their 4mm TK one day; perhaps not this Decade Century though!

Probably not even this millennium, the speed at which ODC support the N gauge market with new products.

• Agree 3

Yes wouldnt we all be glad if somebody would do a Tk or any sought of variant .I have just purchaced some Bedford Q's and O's

from Arrowhead -Minitures (www.arrowhead-minitures.co.uk)  . These are white metal  kits some of his vehicles are of solid windows and some are ones that you can use clear glaze liquid to make the glass.  I have built quite a few of his kits and they make up into quite nice little models the majority are of ww2 era 1938---onwards USA ,UK ,  Canadian and European.

Its worth a look at the web site you might find something of use.

Ray. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tricky-CRS said:

Test printed the full 1974 Sherpa line up 7 versions.

Most have gone for modification work of some description, Fire engine and Motor home requiring the most.

Sherpa-V3-x7-01.jpg

Sherpa-V3-x3-01a.jpg

Sherpa-V3-x3-02.jpg

Sherpa-V3-x3-03.jpg

Great progress.

Presumably they wil be made available to purchase? If so I'll have to get a couple.

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Great progress.

Presumably they wil be made available to purchase? If so I'll have to get a couple.

I wouldn't like to comment at this point as I have not asked permission to advertise. They need some alterations, then I'll move on to something else, I have  a plan.

One question though, I prefer whitemetal but are people coming around to 3D printed? I think its to expensive (certainly from the likes of shapeways) and whitemetal looks more solid and easy to work with.

Edited by Tricky-CRS
extra info

38 minutes ago, Tricky-CRS said:

whitemetal looks more solid and easy to work with.

With 3D printing it depends on the material. Some of the early Shapeways materials were virtually unsandable (was it white strong and flexible?) and FUD is very brittle and has very crisp layering from the printing process. The resin based printing methods tend to have softer ridges between layers and tend to behave more like injection moulded plastic when sanded or cut.

Having been making Airfix, Tamiya etc since childhood, anything that behaves like a plastic is much more comfortable for me, but it's horses for courses and others may feel the complete opposite.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that white metal, as used in so many British model products, to me seems very 'chunky' and usually with quite poor detail definition. In the US, where white metal is probably banned because of its toxicity (in the same way Kinder Eggs are banned because toys are hidden inside the chocolate) they produce some wonderfully fine detailed motor vehicles for N scale using Pewter.

e.g.

https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-160-10mm-n-scale

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1