3D printed road vehicles

grahame

A  quick question if I may .  Due to the lack of any N scale models of  home grown  Australian cars and very few in HO I'm starting a range of 3D printed ones. Regarding N scale, I note that some that are posted here are printed with windows, and some without. Of those that have windows printed some appear to be printed in transparent resin, and others in standard resin.

I assume that for those without windows some kind of liquid glazing is applied, or are they left open?

Anyway basically,  is there a preferred print option  - transparent resin so the windows are "there"  already; standard resin or no windows?

For HO/00 I can supply the windows as a separate print in transparent resin while the rest of the car is in standard resin, but just wondering the best way to go with N gauge.

I do have the models printable both  with and without windows as below, so either is possible for me to do.

Thanks!

1188054941_Screenshot(478).thumb.png.3508909d8c7a18ce29ce584aedc4877a.png

532570752_Screenshot(480).thumb.png.dfbde297cd58f05c9a718bd34b682e3f.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember an article in a modelling magazine about making 1930's cars. They carved them out of clear plastic and made the interior as a negative IE the seats etc were hollow and painted from below to become 'solid'. Sorry can't remember which magazine 🙄.

• Informative/Useful 1

Personally I'd say leave the window empty for N scale @monkeysarefunbecause the transparent resins never seem to be fully transparent and have a slightly cloudy look. I glaze with one of the clear glue type glazing fluids, think I've gotbthegot the Microscale one at the moment. It's like a thick PVA

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t mind either but the ones without glazing generally have an interior and glazing is easy to add with Micro Klear or even plasticard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

I remember an article in a modelling magazine about making 1930's cars. They carved them out of clear plastic and made the interior as a negative IE the seats etc were hollow and painted from below to become 'solid'. Sorry can't remember which magazine 🙄.

Pretty sure that was the 'Constructor', late 1970s. I think they used clear casting resin.

• RMweb Premium

My first order of N'Tastic Scale Models vehicles has arrived - Ford Mk2 SWB Transit and Ford Cargo artic' tractor. Excuse the quality of the photos:

IMG_3997.JPG.edaf97a2918993afcdfad4f5db649ce1.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG.7b673aa276968c4d1cd1146eb9bcf299.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG.b0d5d79b4bbf1115860b99703efd5cce.JPG

Compared to the RedAndy767 they're a little chunkier. There's a little less fine detail on these (compare the N'Tastic Ford Cargo to the RedAndy Leyland Terrier chassis cab for example) but the finish is smoother. There are a few patches where the build supports need removing completely and the tyres/wheels have pips remaining where they were probably attached to supports or a sprue.

I'm not sure that the fifth wheel on the Cargo is in the right place - I think it should be further back, much closer to the rear axle.

Despite the differences between these and the RedAndy models I've not hesitated in ordering more Transits so I can model this:

p151691913-2.jpg

Does anyone know if the high-roof version would fit the loading gauge when loaded on a carflat?

Or a good modelling match for Ford blue and red?

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/06/2022 at 13:53, Steven B said:

My first order of N'Tastic Scale Models vehicles has arrived - Ford Mk2 SWB Transit and Ford Cargo artic' tractor. Excuse the quality of the photos:

IMG_3997.JPG.edaf97a2918993afcdfad4f5db649ce1.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG.7b673aa276968c4d1cd1146eb9bcf299.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG.b0d5d79b4bbf1115860b99703efd5cce.JPG

Compared to the RedAndy767 they're a little chunkier. There's a little less fine detail on these (compare the N'Tastic Ford Cargo to the RedAndy Leyland Terrier chassis cab for example) but the finish is smoother. There are a few patches where the build supports need removing completely and the tyres/wheels have pips remaining where they were probably attached to supports or a sprue.

I'm not sure that the fifth wheel on the Cargo is in the right place - I think it should be further back, much closer to the rear axle.

Despite the differences between these and the RedAndy models I've not hesitated in ordering more Transits so I can model this:

p151691913-2.jpg

Does anyone know if the high-roof version would fit the loading gauge when loaded on a carflat?

Or a good modelling match for Ford blue and red?

Steven B

You could always try Halfords!

The white is Diamond White and the Blue is Gentian I think. Not sure on the red but it looks like Rosso. All are available as acrylics from classic car paint providers of your choice, though as some only sell in large can sizes, they can be a bit pricey.

My first two trial models from "N-Tastic", the Karrier Bantam Mobile Shop and Commer Superpoise van. I've added ventilators to the shop roof, and a bottom channel for the sliding door, and fitted the nicely detailed front wheels in a turning position. I will be adding more 'signwriting' and internal details later. Not yet decided on a livery for the Commer, but may replace the rather plain wheels at some point. I look forward to seeing the rest of the range at this weekend's Buxton Railfest.

mobile shop.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2022 at 18:00, RANGERS said:

The white is Diamond White and the Blue is Gentian I think. Not sure on the red but it looks like Rosso. All are available as acrylics from classic car paint providers of your choice, though as some only sell in large can sizes, they can be a bit pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd consider aerosols but might looks for touch-up kits as well!

Steven B.

On 29/06/2022 at 14:54, fodenway said:

My first two trial models from "N-Tastic", the Karrier Bantam Mobile Shop and Commer Superpoise van. I've added ventilators to the shop roof, and a bottom channel for the sliding door, and fitted the nicely detailed front wheels in a turning position. I will be adding more 'signwriting' and internal details later. Not yet decided on a livery for the Commer, but may replace the rather plain wheels at some point. I look forward to seeing the rest of the range at this weekend's Buxton Railfest.

mobile shop.JPG

Looking good please say hello and introduce yourself, could you bring these along please?

• Agree 1

I will be helping and demoing at Railex Buxton this weekend (2&3rd of July), if your about please pop in and say hello. I will have the full range on display (none on sale) plus 3 new items that will be launched in the coming weeks. I will also have other N gauge appropriate kits on display, mainly road vehicles.

Railex Buxton

• Agree 1

Hi folks im still learning how to forward text and photos on my tablet.

The above photos are of Butler printed 3D models in 1/144 scale/12mm .

may be of interest to those that would liike a fewi military vehicles on their layouts

I think it would be benifial if they were printed in clear plastic as some of the windows are very small

and are very fidley to cut or drill out before painting.

Regards Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Panzer Shop continue to expand their range of cars and vans in 1/160 and 1/120, available on request in 1/148 scale. New are Volvo 245, Saab 9-3 coupe and hatchback, Renault R4 and Nissan Primera.

https://www.panzer-shop.net/c-6449461/cars-busses-vans/?sort_order=descending&sort_method=by_date

Cars, Busses & Vans | Panzer-Shop.nl

• Like 1

Kevin, the owner of panzer-shop, has said on another site that when requesting 1/148 scale for the cars, the buyer should also request "right hand drive" if that is what is needed. Not all the models can be flipped laterally to make them RHD.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My first order from N Tastic…..Commer Fire brigade support which is becoming a generator unit for the TV and Film lighting company Lee Electric. One of four Transit chassis cabs for a carflat load and a LWB Transit for the mean streets of London!

2ADC1441-9A07-4AFC-A286-9FD5A546E595.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, acg5324 said:

My first order from N Tastic…..Commer Fire brigade support which is becoming a generator unit for the TV and Film lighting company Lee Electric. One of four Transit chassis cabs for a carflat load and a LWB Transit for the mean streets of London!

2ADC1441-9A07-4AFC-A286-9FD5A546E595.jpeg

Looking good, interesting use of the fire truck.

• Thanks 1

I've bought a few items from N'Tastic.  The Brewers dray is very nice.  I bought a pack of heavy horses to replace the now crude looking white-metal ones, pulling some of my Langley carts. A massive improvement!

Also bought the Karrier refuse wagon, something I remember from my early years.  As I model the early/mid 1950s I await more vehicles of this period.
It's good to see 70s/80s vehicles for others, often sadly/unbelievably missed by by the major diecast manufacturer. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

eBay seller RedAndy767 has also started making the Mk2 transit. His prints aren't as free of build layers as the N'Tastic ones but there's no need to cut out windows yourself.

Steven B.

He has but only seem to doing the van with a tailgate rather than doors which was the norm in the UK. He has also posted over the weekend some Mk1 Vauxhall Cavaliers…unpainted and all sold now. No doubt more to come unlike Oxford Diecast.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The Commer Generator van is complete…..less front screen. It goes together very easily, nice model…however I’ve not found any photos of the Commer C Cab with single headlights…..they are all twins…..unless anyone knows different.

54B44B2B-61E8-4440-BB94-DDC934DCFF80.jpeg

88E0F4C3-D874-448E-879C-7B111245DE5E.jpeg

ABD91EEC-6BA1-4F9A-BFBA-13D58558BF80.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1