Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

these all look standard gauge so far so lets go littler, a pair of locos built for my Hobbiton End layout using the Dapol pug loco kits running on Graham Farish N gauge loco mechanisms.

post-3347-0-38362900-1488390236.jpg

Complete with Dwarf crew

And this one which although now complete, I do not seem to have a piccie of!

post-3347-0-54421900-1488390413.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 11

Back in 2012 I converted a Caledonian Pug into Ex LSWR Ironside and it didn't come out too bad looking for my first project which I was happy with. Unfortunately the chassis was from the 80s and I couldn't tame it so now the body is in a drawer waiting for fitting to a new Hornby railroad chassis which I got cheap which has better running characteristics.DSCF1942800x600.jpg

OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oakhill nice!!!!! PS can I post a Hornby Percy?

It is a good name isn't it!!!! Although I use it as 2 words  :jester:  :jester:

I picked it as a nowhere name for my layout and then the loco was designed and built built for the layout so given the same name.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning

• RMweb Gold

This is a scratchbuild rather than a modified RTR loco, but it still comes under the 'wierd and wonderful' category, perhaps. This was scratchbuilt by Brian Clarke many years ago and is currently in my care. Officially named 'Dictu Prince', we always used to call it 'Dictu Titty'. It runs superbly, however, as you might expect of a Brian Clarke loco.

Captain Kernow's gone and dropped a Clarke-bomb!

Let me see...

Here's a piece of pugbashing history, two creations by Ted Polet and still at work on the Craigcorrie and Dunalistair Railway.

They are now running as 0-6-2Ts

See Ted's site for more:

http://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/eframe.htm

vlcsnap-00019.jpg

vlcsnap-00033.jpg

• Like 11

How to power the pug?

To approach the small dinkyness of narrow gauge outline loco perhaps the High Level chassis kit, if one is skilled enough to make it, is the ultimate slow shunting power or use a RTR motor bogie.

I've got a pug bash on a Tenshodo bogie with fake plastic valve gear, it's a bit fast for an industrial shunter though.

040stpugTenshendo.jpg.b98783bde5557c38751efc64fd7d1c5d.jpg

040stPugTenshodoElectrotren060t.jpg.6325ba5f569c095eaed7a2f141ca5858.jpg

Did you see? I bet you didn't even notice, there is no coupling rod. The connecting rod from the cylinder hides it's none existence.  Does not matter as both axles are driven internally by gears inside the motor bogie.

Warning; Tenshodos come with different wheel bases. It is not always easy to find a short one you may have to make do with what ever you find. As long as the rear wheel lines up in about the right place ahead of the fire box, it will look OK. The front wheel is hidden behind the cylinders. A Black Beetle would be better as they are slower and more controllable for shunting, apparently..

The cylinders and rods are all original plastic parts from the Airfix kit, flimsy, but it does not matter as they take no forces. There is a dress makers pin stuck to the rear wheel via a triangular shaped

piece of plasticard balance weight, that’s my level of engineering. The boiler and tank is full of lead so this little loco pulls well. I cut down the cab to just side sheets and shortened the rear to emphasize there is no motor in the cab. It still goes like a rocket, I tried to tame the top speed with resistors under the cab it did not seem to work could I do something with diodes instead?

1311557566_040stpugVulcanSouhampton.jpg.b6981858e3aaf4fc35716d368ed9ff40.jpg

Here's my High Level chassised one, a good kit but it taxed my abilities, but the overall size is smaller.

It has a shortened tank and a DIY cab to represent a Southampton Docks Vulcan.

There is 100 to 1 gearing in there and a flywheel.

Very slow but it is interesting to set the power to one half and watch the loco slowly gradually start to move off. Down side is that stopping takes just as long as speeding up, so you have to shut off power several inches before the place you want it to stop. A real test of a drivers skill.

Pick up is poor dur to the very short wheel base so I made a Scottish style tender wagon with extra pick-ups.

( Can't find picture )

And the future, an original Airfix kit not a Dapol one, you can tell by the black plastic. It's modified with cab parts from a J94 and extended rearwards. What can I power this one with?

Edited by relaxinghobby
Rephotoisation
  • Like 11

G'day Gents

I have more than a few rebuilds of Hornby/Triang locos, so here are a few.

manna

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0085.JPG

DSCF0147.JPG

DSCF0167.JPG

D2200 finished.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content, plus an extra one.
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

G'day Gents

The first one above has a French railcar chassis, other than that, no details.

Second and third, are a rebuilt Caly pug, into a LNER Y5.

The Fourth is a Airfix Drewry, onto a 'Nellie' chassis

manna

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm absolutely loving this thread the trouble is its giving me so many ideas which I fear will divert me away from my current work. Manna that flat top saddle tank on the Y5 conversion was how I was thinking of doing the tank on a backdated Caley pug back to a Neilson original with the cab that would be something like you've done Relaxing hobby on the little green loco on your post. Some where in my picture collection I have a very grainy photo of a trio of Caley pugs and two of them have tanks and cabs like the Hornby one but the third has the flat top tank and simple cab so there is photo evidence that they ran on the Caley in this condition

Now the rest of you stop posting ideas its making my head hurt.

Steve

Edited by Londontram

Captain Kernow's gone and dropped a Clarke-bomb!

Let me see...

Here's a piece of pugbashing history, two creations by Ted Polet and still at work on the Craigcorrie and Dunalistair Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fkHjzKIxU

They are now running as 0-6-2Ts

See Ted's site for more:

http://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/eframe.htm

vlcsnap-00019.jpg

vlcsnap-00033.jpg

The C&DR ones are quite interesting, in being 0-6-2T working on a "general carrier" type railway. The original L&Y Pug was 21t, which suggests that a narrow gauge conversion would be in the 17-19 ton range, mostly because of the smaller frames, cylinders and running gear (smaller cylinders to provide more stamina at the expense of tractive effort).

Looking at locomotives working on British ng lines in the late Victorian era and Edwardian era, NWNGR "Beddgelert" was an 0-6-4T in that size range; the Barclay 0-6-2T built for the Campbeltown line, similar. The "Harrogate Peckett" must be around that size, although I can't find an actual figure. "Russell" is a 2-6-2T and indeed, 2-6-2T of that general size were common in the last generation of sub-3ft ng steam designs.

Narrow gauge "pugbashes" tend to take a certain amount of stick, but clearly they can be made to look quite effective; right proportions, again..

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes definitely.

One of mine this morning, this was bashing an unused Hornby 'Thomas' which had donated its chassis to my E2 project, and combining it with the chassis from a Bachmann Junior and a BR 4MT pony truck to make something reminiscent of the Lambton tanks, with a bit of 50550 bunker.

The only thing I regret on this loco is removing the splashers and not converting it to a straight running plate.

IMG_6898_zps9nzoajqv.jpg

IMG_6895_zpssgxyhmsw.jpg

IMG_3061_zps164269bc.jpg

IMG_3113_zps9cdf94c4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Has Anyone done a cut job on the Hornby gwr '101' ?

I've considered trying to make something that looks a bit more like the original with mine, but so far it just sits in a cupboard hoping that it will get some attention one day.

Gary

I've considered trying to make something that looks a bit more like the original with mine, but so far it just sits in a cupboard hoping that it will get some attention one day.

Gary

I've got three bodies, and plan to bash two of them. I think I'll keep the third to turn into an accurate EM model, one day. The latest idea for the two is fairlie interesting!

• Like 2

The Sleeper, of this parish, did just that a while back

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/blog-1250/cat-520-double-fairlie

blogentry-15272-0-41031800-1362421797.jp

Thanks. I'll have to study it. Mine will be 4mm standard gauge (if you can call OO standard gauge!), and nothing like a Ffestiniog one, but very similar to a pair of 101s back to back! I just need to find an extra chassis, and do something about those awful connecting rods! Then work out how to turn the chassis into bogies!

ThePurplePrimer was working on this 009 PugBash.

It's a similar style to a lot of NG ones. I think the quality of the work was very good.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86807-scratch-built-4mm-009-loco-wish-me-luck/page-2

post-20732-0-97255200-1404231996.jpg

Love it From that angle she appears to be levitating, with not a wheel in sight

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My goodness that's to sweet for its own good, I'm seriously tempted by an industrial micro layout or something,

stop STOP all of you this is all to much for me!

Go on Steve!!! You know you want a nice Whiskey Distillery served by the Caley and full of Neilson Tanks!!! :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2