Rotary Snowploughs in Action on Donner Pass

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest the fabled Roseville Rotaries have been in action this year, the first time for a few years.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBQ3MaBYiU

If any viewers aren't aware of these fabulous machines.  They are kept at Roseville Yard near Sacremento for snow fighting on the line over the Sierra Nevadas between there and Truckee where the line rises from 200' to 7,500' and they can get up to 4'  of snow a night.  The rotaries were mainly built in the 1920's for Southern Pacific and were steam powered.  They were later rebuilt so that the main blade was powered by 4 traction motors from scrapped diesels that were powered by an ex SP GM F B unit.  However the auxiliaries that control the angle etc of the blades and wings are still steam powered so that they don't freeze up.   Over the past few years several of these units have been overhauled and upgraded.  However they are only used when other equipment cannot clear the line. Often only every 10 years.  The commitment, by Union Pacific the current owners, is phenomenal as they not only have to be maintained but also crews have to be trained in their use. As far as I know they are used when wet heavy snow falls. 

Jamie

That’s a beautiful film, Jamie! Well spotted...

It works rather like mine (for clearing the driveway) but bigger - the amazing thing is that my little 6HP blower can hurl snow 20 feet - very effective for putting my snow on the neighbors lawn. Much more efficient than a metal plow.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

That’s a beautiful film, Jamie! Well spotted...

It works rather like mine (for clearing the driveway) but bigger - the amazing thing is that my little 6HP blower can hurl snow 20 feet - very effective for putting my snow on the neighbors lawn. Much more efficient than a metal plow.

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete.   One of the best shots of a rotary are of a Swiss one at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service  when the baddy chasing Bond gets caught and the snow plume turns pink.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff, I've got a good video, 'Battle for Donner Pass' from the 80's or early 90's onboard with the rotaries and various snow clearing jobs. Chainsaws, shotguns, Dozers and primer cord all used to clear ice and snow ;)

Good stuff, I've got a good video, 'Battle for Donner Pass' from the 80's or early 90's onboard with the rotaries and various snow clearing jobs. Chainsaws, shotguns, Dozers and primer cord all used to clear ice and snow ;)

In New Jersey, NJT have a jet engine mounted onto a chassis. It’s not terribly effective except on Yard trackage (because it must be worked slowly).

post-9016-0-45995900-1488450500.jpg

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Russ,  No the B unit just powers the 4 traction motors that power the big blades.  The crew are obviously in the cab above the blades and I suspect that they have a diesel control stand in the cab along with all the controls for the various wings and outlets. The area behind the cab in the front unit used to contain the boiler for the steam engine for the blades and auxiliaries.That was removed and replaced by, IIRC, a train heating type steam generator to power the rams.   Apparently the crews  have to have very precise route knowledge so that they don't demolish trackside equipment with the wings etc.  They've got a variety of other snowfighting equipment that is used most of the time.   The other gear is fine for powder snow but when the weather conditions are right and a lot of wet snow is dumped only the rotary will do the job.  I've got some photos of the other gear the rotaries in the yard at Roseville which I'll post.

UP have one other big rotary which lives at Cheyenne, and is looked after by the UP steam crew.  The move of the Big Boy from LA had to be postponed until they were no longer on stand by for operating the rotary.   There is I think one fully steam powered rotary still in working order on the Cumbres and Toltec and they do  a photo charter with it each spring to re open the line.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

As promised here are some picture from Roseville.

Here's one of the rotaries parked at the west end of the depot.  They can all be see from public roads and the viewing platform at the station.

post-6824-0-69819300-1488451608_thumb.jpg

One actual rotary with it's B unit

post-6824-0-75555300-1488451575_thumb.jpg

One of the other rotaries. Not all have been refurbished yet. I think that there are 4 in total.  These still carry numbers in the SPMW series (​Southern ​Pacific ​Maintenance of Way)

post-6824-0-52069300-1488451586_thumb.jpg

The normal snow fighting power is a pool of modified GP38-2 switchers that are generally restricted to working in the Roseville area.  According to an article I read a few years ago they're all cycled through the shed in the autumn and everything is checked out.   They are fitted with grilles over the windows,

Clear vision windows which the mariners amongst us will recognise.

post-6824-0-99416700-1488451633_thumb.jpg

And retractable icicle breakers fitted on the cab roof.

post-6824-0-04892800-1488451639_thumb.jpg

These are for clearing the huge icicles that can form in the snow sheds and tunnels.

The locos are normally operated in pairs back to back with a flanger unit behind each loco.  The flangers have the big retractable blades under each side.

post-6824-0-59569600-1488451644_thumb.jpg

They are fortunate that for most of the route the line is on a ledge over a canyon so the snow just goes over the edge.

Hope these are of interest.

Jamie

This is how we used to do it - Spades & sweat !!

Brit15

Ha! Yes. There’s 10 feet of standing snow around the Donner Pass at present (which means that the drifts are even higher).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Jamie,the only thing I can't get my head around is how four traction motors link together to power the blades

A damn big gearbox all linked together. In the battle for Donner Pass video I mentioned they get so hot the crew hang out the side with buckets to fill them from the wall of snow and then pack the snow around the motors to cool them!

The video is very good and they look at all the snow fighting equipment with a ride inside the rotary including a derailment and rerailing of the flanger. To be honest it's one of the best railroad videos I have as it's not just a procession of trains and bears watching again :)

This is the one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DONNER-COMBO-DVD-BATTLE-FOR-DONNER-PASS-amp-ACROSS-DONNER-SUMMIT-/162164945850

Ha! Yes. There’s 10 feet of standing snow around the Donner Pass at present (which means that the drifts are even higher).

Best, Pete.

Yanks always do things bigger -- get some bigger spades !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only joking.

Donner - a wild place indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Yew1UQuQE

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

When we drove over Donner Pass in September 2012 we stopped at Nordern to see some trains.  All the houses off the old main road, (US 40) have steep roofed wooden tunnels from the edge of the road to the front door so that they have a tunnel out to the road in the winter. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I have the Cumbres and Toltec video of the steam rotary in use, it wrecks a small car parked next to a grade crossing with the snow flying through the air and falling on it!

I've seen the Donner Pass video too, my mate Tony has it.  I liked the bit where they use primer cord to clear the flangeways of ice in the snow sheds.  I do like a big bang.

I’ve just noted courtesy of The Weather Channel that Donner Pass has received 512 inches thus far this season with another possible 24 inches this weekend.

That’s nearly 45 feet. Even snow not drifts.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone has access to back copies of Trains there is a very good article about the rotaries in the December 2010 issue.   I came across it by pure chance yesterday while boxing up magazines ready for our house move to France.

Jamie

Archived