Third-Rail EMU Photos

Standard SR-quality track I'd have thought? (ducking to avoid well-aimed insulator pot thrown by engineer of my acquaintance) 

It's the Central division so quite possibly - the chewed string I inherited at Clapham can be seen below 4656 - I put a 20MPH TSR on all four Windsor lines over that ladder in 2005 which eventually drove the long overdue renewal in 2009

Yes I noticed that after I scanned the image. No idea what was going on there.

You may well have caught that moment between one aspect extinguishing and the next aspect lighting - the signal cannot display two colours at the same time.

• RMweb Gold

The seemingly blank WF38 signal  (or signal displaying a 'black' aspect) is what caught my eye :O

Could be the photo was taken just as the signal was changing aspects.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comment about not showing double aspect. On the London Underground it is normal that signals do show double aspect when changing and a double aspect is a Stop signal. Even the National Rail signals at Southfields show double aspect.

Meanwhile back in SW London, we find ourselves at Fulwell; first station on the Shepperton branch.

A Waterloo-bound train is arriving. The leading unit, 5913, is interesting in that one of its vehicles originally formed part ofone of the Class 210 DEMUs.

post-6880-0-48887300-1494538860.jpg

• Like 12

Yes - because this happened at Oxshott on 13-10-2010  05-11-2010 (no idea where I got that date from !) and it bounced off the train on the way down - one of my more interesting weekends on-call .................

The lorry driver survived - which was good because it most definitely wasn't his fault.

post-5198-0-21098100-1494553770_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

post-4406-0-43565100-1494680787_thumb.jpg

A 4-EPB EMU passing Norwood Junction on a Charing Cross to Caterham service probably in August/September 1983.

post-4406-0-32808600-1494680780_thumb.jpg

Class 415 (or 4-EPB) EMU 5421 departs West Croydon with a Victoria - Wimbledon via Selhurst and Sutton service sometime in September 1983

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

If I recall correctly the boarded platform is over the location of the track bed of the old platform that was to the left, if you look at other platforms in the station you will see that the columns are in between the tracks which used to be the arrangement here until the early 1980's if I recall correctly.

Nope, platform 8 hasn't moved since the LBSCR rebuilt the original station and fitted the new roof back in 1882 (when the extensive canopy was added to the front of the station obscuring the original facade too). The clue is the way platform 8 buts onto the 'carriage road' located between platforms 7 & 8  - in fact if you look carefully the wooden boarded area stops just beyond where a ramp takes said carriage road down bellow the platforms and round to an exit on what is now the road called "Trafalgar Arches"

Before the 1980s resignalling there were two short bay platforms inset into the space at the London end for parcels traffic. There were also two further platforms beyond platform 8 - the walkway from the car park / bus turning circle used to be platform 9  with a further face starting once space became available.

(Works photo taken from http://thebrightonmotivepowerdepots.yolasite.com/brighton-locomotive-depot.php )

(Track layout seen here http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Brighton.html )

post-658-0-03251700-1494682932_thumb.jpg

Brighton_1932.40D(1).pdf

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3

Yes - because this happened at Oxshott on 13-10-2010 and it bounced off the train on the way down - one of my more interesting weekends on-call .................

The lorry driver survived - which was good because it most definitely wasn't his fault.

attachicon.gifDSC00407.JPG

It seems that the lorry driver didn't agree with you because he pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention

Nope, platform 8 hasn't moved since the LBSCR rebuilt the original station and fitted the new roof back in 1882 (when the extensive canopy was added to the front of the station obscuring the original facade too). The clue is the way platform 8 buts onto the 'carriage road' located between platforms 7 & 8  - in fact if you look carefully the wooden boarded area stops just beyond where a ramp takes said carriage road down bellow the platforms and round to an exit on what is now the road called "Trafalgar Arches"

Before the 1980s resignalling there were two short bay platforms inset into the space at the London end for parcels traffic. There were also two further platforms beyond platform 8 - the walkway from the car park / bus turning circle used to be platform 9  with a further face starting once space became available.

(Works photo taken from http://thebrightonmotivepowerdepots.yolasite.com/brighton-locomotive-depot.php )

(Track layout seen here http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Brighton.html )

Hi Phil,

Trawling through images on the net, it is not just a matter of the ground falling away beneath platform 8, but as you say, there is a tunnel down there which emerged in the goods yard area.   

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

It seems that the lorry driver didn't agree with you because he pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention

I didn't know that - didn't follow the story after a few months as I'd give NR the boot by then,

He might have done but the guy was a non-English speaking recent immigrant from Romania and I think he was done up like a kipper - the prime cause of this incident was NR's / SCC's complete failure to maintain the visibility of the parapet wall end including letting vegetation growing out of the boundary over it - the photo's I took of it on the day and offered as evidence were "lost" from the company server - part of the reason I left the company within months - lost faith in the way they operate, that and a lying b*stard of a line manager  ........... anyway that's all water under the bridge or cement over it now.

Enjoying catching up now on the various articles regarding conversion of the ex-210 coach to a 455 - shades of the old SR ingenuity with re-hashing bits of rolling stock - ISTR the DH25 compressors on the 455's came off 4-SUB's

Edited by Southernman46

I didn't know that - didn't follow the story after a few months as I'd give NR the boot by then,

He might have done but the guy was a non-English speaking recent immigrant from Romania and I think he was done up like a kipper - the prime cause of this incident was NR's / SCC's complete failure to maintain the visibility of the parapet wall end including letting vegetation growing out of the boundary over it - the photo's I took of it on the day and offered as evidence were "lost" from the company server - part of the reason I left the company within months - lost faith in the way they operate, that and a lying b*stard of a line manager  ........... anyway that's all water under the bridge or cement over it now.

Enjoying catching up now on the various articles regarding conversion of the ex-210 coach to a 455 - shades of the old SR ingenuity with re-hashing bits of rolling stock - ISTR the DH25 compressors on the 455's came off 4-SUB's

Yes I know the A244 through Oxshott and the bridge in question very well indeed.  Whilst what you say about the parapet is true, it is also true that vehicles used to come flying over the brow of the hill and then get caught out by the little left hand bend where the bridge is. 

Just a little postscript about unit 5913.  As a result of its rebuild following this incident it is a bit non-standard in terms of its wiring.  Because of that it will be the very last one to be put through the SWT 455 retractioning programme.

For some inexplicable reason I actually have a soft spot for the 319s.......

post-4406-0-10779100-1494815348_thumb.jpg

Network South East's 319025 speeding past Salfords on what is probably a Bedford to Brighton service during February 1989.

post-4406-0-31299700-1494815354_thumb.jpg

You can imagine standing on the platform at Tulse Hill..............This is how blues band Nine Below Zero used to intro their rendition of Riding on the L & N back in the late 70s. The comparison is missing a lot as NSE's 319022 silently glides into the station with a Wimbledon loop to Luton service in early 1989. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A Eurostar (or should that be an Eurostar - sounds awkward though) in third rail days and a Javelin that has to be third rail when it ventures off HS1. I was surprised to find that Eurostar 373s are regarded as emus, as two coaches have powered bogies, as well as the locos at either end.

post-14351-0-25227300-1494890125_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-17471000-1494890127_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 9