Overhead EMU Photos

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

N14_0016.jpg.25379f8e8fa532e6a4c21b0316e0f7a7.jpg

I have often wondered how easy it was for Clacton depot to get the right number of coaches for the service in the early eighties with various configurations of 2, 3 and 4 car units to work with.  Looks like they have managed a 7 coach train on this occasion, with a 2 car strengthened to a 3 car leading. Other 3 cars were 4 cars with the griddle removed, not sure if the 3 car in the picture had any first class?

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of "moonlighting" AC EMUs from the last 6 months or so.

At Kings Cross, this one reads "Great Northern - operated by Gatwick Express" which makes not a lot of sense to the average traveller, as the train goes nowhere near Gatwick. In fact it might cause confusion, as other trains on its route do serve Gatwick:

846947484_GNGatExKXFeb2022.jpg.87caee4f9e3efb800c45c04044190f83.jpg

Sorry about the bin. I was already on board my northbound train when I noticed it!

And at Crewe, this one reads "London Northwestern Railway - Stunt Double Train - I also work in the West Midlands":

1895226054_LNWRWMCreweSep2021.jpg.f51c8789d4ea8488ce660ad6fd968b14.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This one was almost moonlighting too!

At Liverpool St, is this a Class 309 that survived long enough to get First Great Eastern colours of blue, green and grey? It almost matches that 321 in the background.

Only the headboard gives it away, it's the farewell railtour and that's the North West Regional Railways livery.

scan511.jpg.f3923fc3eb41df6352bb01c585191411.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Four cars with compartments, that's how I remember them.

Not all compartments, were they? They didn't often come my way (I was in AM10 country), and they seemed old fashioned (but a little exotic none the less). The big let down was not being able to kneel on the front seat and watch the driver and look through the front window. Was it a bench seat in the AM10 DTS, without a door between the cab and the saloon? That's what my memory is telling me, but it was a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy C said:

Not all compartments, were they? They didn't often come my way (I was in AM10 country), and they seemed old fashioned (but a little exotic none the less). The big let down was not being able to kneel on the front seat and watch the driver and look through the front window. Was it a bench seat in the AM10 DTS, without a door between the cab and the saloon? That's what my memory is telling me, but it was a long time ago.

Just some compartments, they lost them completely when they were reduced to three cars and the first class compartments were opened out.

But I can just about remember using them on trips to Crewe from the Styal line.

• Like 1