Gear shaft out of location, gear disengaged

34theletterbetweenB&D

I had an interesting failure while operating yesterday evening, Bachmann J11 just coasted to a halt while going out to pick up a train. The motor was running, but it was completely freewheeling.

Long story short, as many will know the gears on Bachmann's curent design steamers are on push fit slightly tapered shafts, and on the second of the four in the gear train on the J11 the shaft was completely out of position, allowing the gear to drop off the shaft so that it wasn't engaging at all. That was a new one on me, in many years operating Bach's OO steam models, never seen this before. As ever when one fiddles with these mechanisms I take my hat off to the line assembly operatives, I had little pieces pinging around the table top, and ended up with a 'doowhat?' left over, once successfully reassembled and working again (I think it's a wire tidy, not essential).

There will have to be corrective action on all my Bachmann steam products with this drive design, a little wadding of some sort down the broad end access hole to the gear shafts (where such exist) to prevent any other shafts sliding out like this.

The enjoyable operational part was the 'rescue', sent out the yard shunter to drag it back into the loco yard, then called up another suitable loco to work the train. That is fun, real traction failure, no need to simulate a failure requiring rescue action and a substitute loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a problem with a drive shaft on my Deltic which kept popping out. I fixed it a couple of times and eventually sent it back to Bachmann for repair. All went well until last night when it developed a low pitched whistle/squeal which sounded like something more than a driveshaft problem so its on its way back to Bachmann. I think i have a 'Friday afternoon' model which like its prototype may end up languishing in my museum (display cabinet).

I had a problem with a drive shaft on my Deltic which kept popping out. I fixed it a couple of times and eventually sent it back to Bachmann for repair. All went well until last night when it developed a low pitched whistle/squeal which sounded like something more than a driveshaft problem so its on its way back to Bachmann. I think i have a 'Friday afternoon' model which like its prototype may end up languishing in my museum (display cabinet).

Sounds like the bearing on bogie or motor end of the shaft has run dry. I have had this happen often on Hornby diesels.