New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

Guest spet0114

Mine arrived today. In perfect condition and full working order. After the recent disappointment of receiving a wonky Stirling single, this has really lightened my mood. Well done Rails and Rapido.

Cheers

Adrian

You did mention it! It certainly outclassed the A1 but I wouldn’t say absolutely slaughtered it. The Castle did clinker up more rapidly.

When you win, you carry on as before. When you lose, you look for improvement. The Castles were excellent machines but they were left as they were until Hawksworth came along and improved their superheating. Nevertheless, he still left the enginemen scrabbling about between the frames to oil them. In contrast, along came A3s, A4s and Duchesses; the two Ivatt Duchesses made life much easier for the crews, especially disposal crews.

I won’t mention Ivatt’s Flying Pigs being sent to the Western. Oh bother, I just did.

(Edited to correct clumsy expression.)

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 4

You did mention it! It certainly outclassed the A1 but I wouldn’t say absolutely slaughtered it. The Castle did clinker up more rapidly.

When you win, you carry on as before. When you lose, you look for improvement. The Castles were excellent machines but they were left as they were until Hawksworth came along and improved them with superheating. Nevertheless, he still left the enginemen scrabbling about between the frames to oil them. In contrast, along came A3s, A4s and Duchesses; the two Ivatt Duchesses made life much easier for the crews, especially disposal crews.

I won’t mention Ivatt’s Flying Pigs being sent to the Western. Oh bother, I just did.

there was simply no need to do anything with the castles until the second world war. They outperformed everything else in the country. They only suffered when expected to work with inferior coal. If the government hadnt found welsh coal so profitable selling overseas there would have been no need to 'improve' Swindon designs which were years ahead of anything else.

When you win, you carry on as before. When you lose, you look for improvement. The Castles were excellent machines but they were left as they were until Hawksworth came along and improved them with superheating. Nevertheless, he still left the enginemen scrabbling about between the frames to oil them. In contrast, along came A3s, A4s and Duchesses; the two Ivatt Duchesses made life much easier for the crews, especially disposal crews.

yes the fire clinkered during the exchanges, because of the Yorkshire coal favoured by the LNER. Had Pendennis bwen allowed to use its designed for Welsh coal, the results would have been even more spectacular

The Castles were excellent machines but they were left as they were until Hawksworth came along and improved them with superheating.

Ugh?  :scratchhead: 

Dus that mean they were Saturated until 1945?  Or dus tha mean the superheating was improved?  Tell yer wot, I luv this forum....It is soooo hilarious.

Edited by coachmann

Not sure what that has to do with the Rapido dyno car tbh.

The GWR had their own dynamometer carriage (built in 1901) - if they wanted to claim the record they had their chance and let it go...

Also c.o.t was only a year old when it 'did' the 100mph, scotsman was 11 years old when it took the record

(B.t.w I do believe city of truro did it first, however it wasn't verified so isn't accepted.

When you win, you carry on as before. When you lose, you look for improvement. The Castles were excellent machines but they were left as they were until Hawksworth came along and improved their superheating. Nevertheless, he still left the enginemen scrabbling about between the frames to oil them. In contrast, along came A3s, A4s and Duchesses; the two Ivatt Duchesses made life much easier for the crews, especially disposal crews.

(Edited to correct clumsy expression.)

Nope. No Ivatt Flying Pigs were on the Western. It was a batch of Ivatt 2MTs that were built for the Cambrian.

Jason

Not sure what that has to do with the Rapido dyno car tbh.

The GWR had their own dynamometer carriage (built in 1901) - if they wanted to claim the record they had their chance and let it go...

Also c.o.t was only a year old when it 'did' the 100mph, scotsman was 11 years old when it took the record

(B.t.w I do believe city of truro did it first, however it wasn't verified so isn't accepted.

But it's only been in recent years that revisionists have disputed the fact it did the ton.

Probably the same "experts" that say the Dynamometer Car wasn't lined....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the completion payment, I paid my deposit via PayPal, but it's linked to an account that never normally has funds in it (it's specifically for internet use). Will Rails contact me first before trying to take the payment so I can make sure funds are in place, or will they just try and fail and then contact me (or even worse, not bother to follow up and just wait for me to chase them)?

Regarding the completion payment, I paid my deposit via PayPal, but it's linked to an account that never normally has funds in it (it's specifically for internet use). Will Rails contact me first before trying to take the payment so I can make sure funds are in place, or will they just try and fail and then contact me (or even worse, not bother to follow up and just wait for me to chase them)?

easiest way would be to phone rails and make your final paymebt. Then you can be certain all is ok

• RMweb Premium

easiest way would be to phone rails and make your final paymebt. Then you can be certain all is ok

I've sent an email via their website. I'm not good on the phone.

• RMweb Gold

You get sent an invoice so as long as it's that account you intend to use it's fine. Only thing that was a bit strange was it requested payment within 24hrs.

Arrived today,

Only negative on mine was a loose seat inside it (one of the long couches at the end). any got any hints on opening it up to sort it? seems like a but of a daunting task with the amount of detail on it.

Also the recording wheel seems a bit loose and not sure if thats for moving it on EM wheel sets etc, anyone else noticed it?

That aside, very impressive in the flesh with the teak effect and the amount of detail on it!

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

You will need to unclip the bodyshell to gain access to the inside (yes I know) to refix the seat in place.

Once you have glued it make sure you leave it open for at least 24hrs to allow all glue vapour to evaporate.

You will find some clips at both ends and down each side. You can see the location on the exploded diagram. Be careful of the details as they can easily be broken.

The recording wheel is designed to be in one location as when it’s runnjng its difficult to tell its position above the rail.

Bearing in mind if it was designed to move it should go up and down as well. Now there’s an idea......

If you have any questions then please use the contact info on the enclosed sheet and I will be in contact with you to help.

Kudos to Rails for sending my spare Part 39 through so quickly. Now attached to her and she's ready to work. Question though how have modellers been lifting and putting back the Dynamometer Car in/out of the box? I know it may sound silly but I do not want to repeat breaking Part 39 again...

Mine arrived last week, all nicely wrapped.  When I opened the bubble wrap around the box I that one end of the box was crushed.  No damage to the model itself but at 125 quid a coach, you would think they would look at the boxes before they pack them.  Anyway once alerted Rails promised to send a new box. 

Not wishing to join the crowd of "where's mine?", I'm patient enough to wait (and when mine is available I want to leave it at the shop anyway, and pick it up myself when in the area), but has anyone received V.2 yet? I've paid the deposit, still owe the balance and no request yet for it. I don't want to bother them either if they are busy.

Stewart