Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review

jc2001

Issue_121_551e5cdc-d7c9-4fdc-ae04-68081b

REVIEW 121 is now at the printers for distribution. The contents are:

• Hulme End in O17·5 - Part 1 - Leek & Manifold 7mm scale excellence by Paul Holmes
  • Melin Dolryhd - Stuart Taylor describes his characterful 4mm scale W&L set-piece
  • Fayle’s Tramway Lewin Locomotive ‘Tiny’ - Research and scale drawings into an unusual 3ft 9ins gauge prototype by Stuart Baker
  • Bridport & Charmouth News - Part 4 - David Taylor describes his 'Foxdale' coach conversions
  • W G Bagnall - Standard Locomotive Livery Archive material
  • A Swedish Narrow-Gauge Austin 10 Draisine in O Scale - George Morris tells readers how he made his railcar model
  • Swedish Three Foot Gauge - A brief introduction by George Morris
  • Tar Boilers & Bitumen Sprayers - An unusual prototype feature
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

spacer.png

REVIEW 122 is at the printers Lavenham Press. They are hoping to continue operations despite the ongoing crisis so hopefully it will still be distributed this week as usual, however we know postal delivery is slow at the moment.
The contents are:
Hulme End in O17·5 - Part 2 Further Leek & Manifold model excellence in 7mm scale 17.5mm gauge by Paul Holmes
Early Corris Railway Passenger Trains Research with photos and scale drawing on this 2ft 3ins prototype by Dan Quine
A 4-6-0 Hunslet for 'Behind the Front' 4mm scale, 8mm gauge WDLR model loco by Alex Duckworth with prototype photo and 4mm scale drawing by Roy C Link
North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway Mystery Coach Prototype information and scale drawings by Stuart L Baker
Tan-y-Bwylch Coal Drops Prototype and 7mm scale model by David John
Make Your Own Spikes Roy C Link describes his workshop technique to get neat rail spikes
Bridport & Charmouth News – Part 5 - Developments at Bridport Town O16.5 7mm scale 16.5mm gauge model layout by David Taylor

Roy has also prepared an activity to do in these unprecedented times and we are offering a prize for the best entries: NG&I Activity and Competition

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

spacer.png

Issue 123 has gone to the printers for distribution next month. The contents are:

• Hulme End in O17.5 - Part 3 - More Leek & Manifold model excellence in 7mm scale 17.5mm gauge by Paul Holmes
  • Track for Pendre - Trevor Hughes describes how he is making the track in 1:32 scale for Towyn Pendre - Talyllyn Railway
  • Marion Steam Shovel - Paul Berntsen builds a 9mm 1:32 scale model of this USA built Model 28 steam shovel with prototype photos and Makers GA scale drawing
  • 18 Inch Gauge Deptford Diesel - Hunslet 4W prototype information, photo and 12mm scale drawings by Stuart L Baker
  • Hunslet 233hp 0-4-0 Diesel Hydraulic in 1:76 scale - A British standard gauge diesel locomotive in Canada modelled by James Hilton with prototype photos
  • A Welshpool and Llanfair Brake Van in 7mm - Ian Johnston builds a model of this classic 2ft 6ins gauge brakevan with prototype photo

And the usual editorial, news & jottings and product reviews.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Certainly up to the very high standards that this magazine has, another very enjoyable copy with a great deal of fantastic modelling and much useful information. Well done for producing such a quality magazine in these trying times, thank you.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2020 at 20:13, mudmagnet said:

Another excellent issue. 

I've also ordered the 'Crowsnest Chronicles' book.

Received my book on Saturday. 

Recommended. A well written and illustrated history of Crowsnest in model form.

• 2 months later...

732159201_issue124.jpg.3c72a80f6d515c23d4b308e114de391b.jpg

REVIEW issue 124 is at the printers ready for distribution later this month. The contents are:

• Tywyn Wharf in 5.5mm Scale - George Williamson describes his post preservation Talyllyn Railway layout with plan
  • Hard at Work - A close look at locomotive weathering by John Clutterbuck with prototype photos
  • Talyllyn Railway Wagons - More craft work in 1:32 scale with Trevor Hughes
  • Arizona Copper Company 20 inch gauge Locomotive No.8 - Stuart L Baker describes an unusual prototype with prototype photos and scale drawing
  • Drumcudden in 16mm Scale - Expanding on a theme by Paul Lindsay-Scott, with layout plan
  • Come into my Parlour - David John kit-bashes an O14 model of the Beeches Light Railway replica of Sandy River & Rangely Lakes Railroad Carrabasset with prototype photo
  • Tank Locomotive for 2ft Gauge - Archive material from Engineering magazine with makers GA scale drawing

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

In the fantastic article by Trevor Hughes on Talyllyn Wagons he mentions using a form tool from a company called carbide solutions. I have searched for the company online but sadly havent found anything listing form tools. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the company?

Thanks

M.

25 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Hello.

In the fantastic article by Trevor Hughes on Talyllyn Wagons he mentions using a form tool from a company called carbide solutions. I have searched for the company online but sadly havent found anything listing form tools. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the company?

Thanks

M.

They used to advertise on ebay but seemed to disappear about a year or so ago. They were quite reasonable pricewise compared to Fohrmann who also offer RP25 wheel profile form tools:

https://www.fohrmann.com/en/railway-modeling-tools/

Perhaps, as sometimes is the way, they have, or will, reappear under a different guise.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Trevor Hughes has now passed the following on  to me:

"the company is Carbide Solutions e. K. ,  Jonathan Wangler, Am Sonnenberg 7, D-64385 Reichelsheim, Tel 0049 6164 5180 939 The cutter in question is a Radprofil HSS MNRA RP25 Code 110 art no 121759750129 and cost 32 Euros

If our enquirer has any further difficulties I will check through the back issues of the "Review" and find the description in the trade news section at the back of the magazine - there may be an email address. If the search engine is given carbide-solutions germany it will go straight to the website with some nice pictures of radprofil to boot."

I hope this helps.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

Issue 125 is now at the printers for distribution later this month. This is a special edition for our dear friend and editor Roy who passed away on November 20th 2020. The contents are:

• Roy Charles Link 1947-2020 - Obituary and tribute with list of works etc.
  • Beamish Tool Van - Paul Jarman describes his seven-eighth scale (1:13·7) model and the full-size version it inspired
  • Green Energy Recycled Locomotives Of Llechwedd - Stuart L Baker draws and describes The Coalition and The Eclipse with photos and 1:32 scale drawings
  • Severn Mill - John Brookes describes his O16·5 factory complex module with track plan
  • Jössen Train Ferry - Photos and recollections from Col David W Ronald on this unusual German 60cm gauge prototype

Please also note that NG&I is moving - full details here: NG&I is moving to Devon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...

issue_126_240x240.jpg?v=1617609807

REVIEW issue 126 is at the printers for distribution at the end of this month. The contents are:

• Herbert's Last Hurrah - Paul Berntsen builds Victorian Railways G class Garratt G42 in 1⁄4ins scale with prototype photos and makers GA scale drawing
  • SAR(WHR) NgG16 Garratt in 7mm Scale - David Steer builds the Backwoods Miniatures kit in O16.5 with prototype photos
  • SAR/Otavi Railway Dining Car Etiro of 1926 - Malcolm Crawford describes an unusual 2ft gauge prototype with scale drawing
  • Bagnall Inverted Saddle Tank Locomotive Edith - Stuart L Baker draws and describes this unusual Llechwedd Quarry loco with protoype photo and 12mm scale drawings
  • Llechwedd Electrics - Paul Holmes builds The Eclipse in O14 from an N Brass etched kit
  • The American Magnesium Company Monorail - Adrian Garner models an unusual USA prototype in 7mm scale with prototype photo and patent details
  • Recreating The Early Corris Coach - Archaeology in Miniature by Lee E J Styger - a CAD based reconstruction approach
  • Sunday Afternoon at Dawson City - Tim Shackleton considers a snapshot in time on the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs construction railway with prototype photos

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

REVIEW 127 is at the printers for distribution at the end of this month. The contents are:

• Gweithdy Dyffryn - Derek Harris models stub pointwork in O14 with prototype photos by Sydney A Leleux
  • 32mm Gauge Portable Track - Ian Holmes describes his technique for modelling pressed-steel sleepers in 7/8ths scale with prototype photos
  • Multi-Gauge Test Track - Sydney A Leleux describes his early 7mm scale model of an unusual prototype
  • Adding bolthead details to a completed model - Adrian Garner provides a finishing touch to his 7mm monorail loco
  • More Sunday Best – St John’s Chapel Lead Mine Tramway - Tim Shackleton finds another snapshot in time with prototype photos
  • Festiniog Railway Carriage Truck - Stuart L Baker draws one of the FR's more eccentric vehicles with prototype photo and scale drawing
  • Modelling 3ft Gauge in 7mm Scale - Peter J Page considers the practicalities of O21
  • Where The Green Grass Grows - Scenic trackwork inspiration by John Clutterbuck with prototype photos
  • London Brick Company - Nutty - Prototype photos of the unusual Sentinel 0-4-0 from the camera of Paul Myatt

And the usual editorial, letters and product reviews.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Review 128 is now at the printers ready for distribution at the end of this month. The contents are:

• Weathering Heights - An industrial steam weathering masterclass by Tim Shackleton
  • Andrew Barclay – Glyder - A remarkable Penryhn Quarry survivor described by Paul Jarman
  • Industrial Echos – The Shipyard - Arnoud Bongaards explains his novel approach to layout design using SketchUp
  • Developing Nant Gwynant – Part 1 - Richard Kynaston starts a high-tech P4 Narrow Gauge journey
  • Mole – A Unique 0-4-0 Tank Locomotive - Stuart L Baker draws and describes an elusive 1ft 11.5ins gauge locomotive
  • Corris Railway Wagons - Peter Kazer models 2ft 3ins gauge Corris wagons in their last days in 1:32 scale
  • Dörentruper Sand- und Thonwerke - A remarkable 60cm gauge German electric system described by David W Ronald & Volker Grumpe
  • Little Sally - Paul Jarman describes a little known 2ft 6ins gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

spacer.png

Review 130 is at the printers ready for distribution at the end of this month. The contents are:

• The Anyox Mine Railroad - Gerald Harper researches an unknown 3 foot gauge Canadian system for his On3 layout with prototype photos and plan
  • Welsh Pony 1886 - Alastair Steele tackles the Mercian Models Festiniog England kit in 009
  • Industrial Snowploughs - Prototype examples photographed and described by Sydney A Leleux
  • Doxford RSH Crane Locomotive - Southwick - Mike Farrow describes his ScaleSeven model of an industrial workhorse
  • 18ins Gauge Fowler Locomotive for De Beers Diamond Mines - Stuart L Baker researches and draws these diminutive 0-4-2T locomotives with 7mm scale drawing and prototype photos
  • South African Railways NG-Y Hopper Wagon - Mark Noble models these modern day WHR freight wagons in O14
  • Lynton & Barnstaple Manning Wardle 2-6-2Ts - Scratch-building excellence in 7mm scale by Tom Mallard with original GA drawing
  • Brockham Memories - Rust, ruin and hopeful restoration - prototype photographs of the early days at the Brockham Railway Museum described by David John

And the usual editorial, news, jottings and readers letters.

John

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I've just sent Review 131 off to the printers ready for distribution at the end of the month.

issue131_240x240.jpg?v=1656749882
This issue has a large focus on the Isle of Purbeck with two layouts and three drawings of prototypes. We continue the story of the Anyox mine as featured in issues 129 and 130. We also have a look at hazard markings with prototype photos and techniques and discuss the thorny issue of scales and gauges. Finally as usual we include previously unpublished prototype photos of narrow gauge and industrial subjects. The contents are:

• Newton Heath Works - A 7mm scale narrow (16.2mm) and standard gauge Dorset clay layout built by Martin Finney and Mike Baker
  • Fayles Tramway Clay Wagon - Drawn and described by Stuart L Baker with 1:32 scale drawing and prototype photos
  • Hi-Vis Locomotives - Sydney A Leleux explores the introduction of safety painting on the industrial scene with prototype photos
  • Peckett Locomotives of the Furzebrook Railway - Sextus & Septimus drawn and described by Stuart L Baker with 7mm scale drawings and prototype photos
  • Anyox Mine - The Layout - Gerald Harper describes how he built his On3 British Columbian layout
  • Chattenden & Upnor - Prototype photos from the camera of Paul Myatt
  • A Way with Wasps - Tim Shackleton descibes his techniques for adding hazard markings to a 4mm scale SG industrial loco
  • Goathorn - A 7mm scale 26.25mm gauge recreation of the 3ft 9ins gauge Fayles Tramway by Peter Hollins
  • Of Scales and Gauges and Time - Peter Kazer discusses one of the perennial issues faced by NG modellers
  • A Problem of Scale - David Hughes shares his angst
  • Potters Bar Mainline Tunnel Contract - Prototype photos of a line up of industrial locos of Paul Myatt
  • And the usual editorial, product news, reviews and readers letters

John

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2022 at 12:38, Barclay said:

No.131 - a great issue, and good to see Tim Shackleton's work again, especially with some standard gauge industrial stuff ! I would love to see a little more standard gauge in NG & I.

Can only agree, a great and interesting edition it doe set an even higher bar from an already high level.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just sent Review 132 off to the printers for distribution at the end of this month.

spacer.png

This issue is an American special. We lead with a detailed study into the history of Yellow Aster Gold Mine with its unusual 18ins and 30ins railways with mixed gauge track and slewing switches. The Maine two-footers are well covered by a new drawing of the SR&RL Baldwin No.24 and an On2 layout of a proposed and part-built extension to the SR&RL. We have drawings of the ALCO War Dept 2-6-2t in as-built form and as varied in subsequent lives on two French systems. We complete the story of the British Colombian On3 mine layout as featured in REVIEWs 129-131. We also present a new HO dock switching layout project based on the Santa Fe China Basin which was only accessible by car float. Finally we show some of the USA built locos that came to Britain.

The contents are:

• Yellow Aster Gold Mine - Dan Quine describes the history of this Sierra Nevada mine and its 30ins and 18ins gauge railways, with prototype photos, scale drawings and plans
  • Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Baldwin 2-6-2 No.24 - Drawn and described by Stephen D Phillips with prototype photos and 1:48 scale drawings
  • New Sharon - Bob Harper describes his On2 layout of a proposed Maine two-footer
  • ALCO War Dept 2-6-2T - 1:48 Scale drawings by David Pomeroy of the as-built WD version, Pithiviers No.22 and Chemin de fer Froissy-Dompierre No.9, with protoype photos
  • Anyox Mine - Locos and Rolling Stock - Gerald Harper describes the scratch-built models on his On3 British Columbian layout
  • Pier 101 - Stuart Firth describes his HO dock layout project inspired by Sante Fe's China Basin, with prototype photos
  • Americans in Britain - Prototype photos of USA built SG locos from the camera of Sydney A Leleux

John

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Review issue 133 is now at the printers for distribution later this month.

spacer.png

We lead this issue with the first of a series on David John’s O14 Dinas Manod - the next station on his 7mm scale imagined extension to the Festiniog Railway. David’s layouts are very much part of an imagined world and, coupled with his use of topography (let’s face it not much of Wales is flat), imbues a real sense of life into his models.

We also include an article and scale drawing on the FR Brine Waggon by Stuart L Baker. Stuart's drawings of such vehicles are often used by the FR Heritage Group so perhaps we may see a recreated waggon in due course.

Further articles include: historical photos of the Purbeck clay railways, a fine 009 model built from a 3D print, scale drawings on the Bagnall Pampero class, some CAD modelling and 3D printing used to enhance an 009 kit locomotive, a fine 9mm scale model of a NZ Fairlie, a discussion about power pickups - a common source of problems with traditional two-rail powered locomotives, some archive NG material and a personal reflection on the life of Iain Rice, plus the usual jottings, product and book reviews and readers' letters.

John

Edited by jc2001
  • Like 6