Terminus acting as both a Marine and a General station ?

Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

Roscoff is a nice little station but some way back from the harbour.

One French one that does qualify is Perros-Guirec. That was metre-gauge (CdN) but there was a proposal to convert to standard gauge as an extension to the Plouaret-Lannion branch.

• RMweb Gold

Does North Woolwich count?

Liverpool Lime St.

North Woolwich is pushing it a bit. Looking at maps from the 1870s & 1950s the main marine activity seems to be the cross-river ferry. There don't seem to have been any wharves or docks associated with the station. There was a pier a couple of hundred metres downstream of the ferry pier on the north bank, which was called a steamer pier. The function of this pier may have been to convey people to and from the North Woolwich Gardens, with its large dance stage, or as a calling point for pleasure steamers plying up and down the Thames. On the few occasions I have travelled on that line, there have been few foot passengers coming off the train and on to the ferry and now that the rail connection is from the Docklands Light Railway at King George V station even less people probably use the train-ferry route. The KGV station is further from the ferry pier and the DLR itself crosses under the Thames to Woolwich Arsenal.

Check out Fleetwood, Lancs:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126515585

for the 1930 edition.

The station/quay/warehouse/travelling crane could well lend itself to "Minories" -type condensation, but the approach curve is the wrong way round for a corner of a room - perhaps it could be "mirrored".

Round that corner, perhaps more dock/warehouse/fish shed at the front - with the fiddle yard lurking behind.

There are superb photos in  Foxline Scenes from the Past:26 Part 5 Blackpool North and Fleetwood.

Hope that helps "float the boat"!

Requirements for Customs and Immigration control must have restricted the number of places where trains and ships were literally side by side. Places like Canada and the USA were countries that could have a justification for largish ships on domestic traffic, so no reason why trains and shipping could not be close together.

Another British example was Blackwall, which originally was used by steamers to Kent. It was also right next to the East India Dock, but separated by a large security wall, as these places tended to be.

Edit

Greenore in Ireland was right next to the quayside

Edited by £1.38
  • Like 1

Liverpool Lime St.

There was Riverside Station nearer to the port for the boat trains. You could get out of the train and straight on to the ship.

It was in fantastic condition until the local council demolished it. As was the transhipment sheds that were at one point part of Merseyside Museums. There were rumours that it was going to be kept and used as a transport museum.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_riverside/

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does Burnham-on-Sea qualify? Obviously now long gone, but station served the town and the rails continued onto the slipway apparently. Also boats carried passengers to and from Wales.

Why didn't I think of that? The grand plan was indeed to provide a link from Wales to France, via Poole and Cherbourg, and it did for both passengers and goods from 1858 on and off until 1888. Goods wagons, including cattle wagons, were run down the slipway usually by rope, but sometimes by locomotive power, providing enough trucks were used to keep the loco on the level, at the top of the slip.

Golf Links station on the Rye and Camber Tramway, its 'marine' component being a bloke in a rowing boat, who took you across the estuary to Rye Harbour, and its 'general' functions being golf, picnicking etc.

It's still there, should you wish to visit, although the tramway isn't (well about 20 yards is, but ......).

K

• Like 1

PS: would Ramsgate Harbour qualify? It certainly served a 'general' function, but I'm less sure about whether it provided a connection to shipping services.

Gosport? I think so.

And, Cowes, although very badly sited for the ferries.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

As pH has already mentioned, Gourock & Wemyss Bay immediately sprang to mind, with most of the other terminii on the Clyde Coast either being too far from the sea, or having separate Town and Pier stations.

The only other one I could think of was Largs.

Not actually at the harbourside, but only a few yards away, and it had a very nice symmetrical throat.

http://www.mylargs.com/oldstation/oldstation1.shtml (Last Image)

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/spw056881?name=LARGS&gazetteer=LARGS&PARISH=LARGS&COUNTY=AYRSHIRE&ref=7

Register (its free) and you can zoom in on this.

There was a much better view taken from Charles St Bridge looking towards the station, But I cannot find it at the mo.

Regards

Ian

Kilrush, Eire, although boat trains ran on a bit beyond the "main" station onto Cappagh Pier.

Larne, NI, where the 3ft gauge boat trains merited some pretty fancy rolling stock. (strike that one, because the town has/had other stations)

Portrush?

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

On the few occasions I have travelled on that line, there have been few foot passengers coming off the train and on to the ferry and now that the rail connection is from the Docklands Light Railway at King George V station even less people probably use the train-ferry route. The KGV station is further from the ferry pier and the DLR itself crosses under the Thames to Woolwich Arsenal.

Having once lived in the area for a number of years I would suggest it was a rare moment to have anyone using both the ferry and the train.  Most of the foot passengers were (and probably still are) local residents living within walking distance or able to hop on the bus.  The 101 used to be one of London's most frequent routes when the docks were open, operating as often as every minute.  It doesn't even reach North Woolwich now and neither does the 69 which used to arrive from the "other way" via Silvertown.  Changes in travel patterns have seen some big changes to buses and to the rail operation which as Phil notes is now in the hands of the DLR.

I haven't been back to the ferry in recent times, only passed beneath the Thames by DLR, so I cannot be sure how many foot passengers still use it.  It survives largely as part of the North - South Circular Roads offering a surface route for HGVs which may or may not be conveying a cargo prohibited in the nearby Blackwall Tunnel.  Even in my time there the number of cars was fairly small - it was mostly HGVs.

Probably not what you got in mind, but Hythe, Hampshire, serves a maritime service(!) and a town, and is nice and compact.

I knew it well when I lived in Southampton but the whole line is devoted to boat trains (or rather the one and only boat train) and nothiing else. Even more interesting, though not useful for my purpose, are the NG railways on a couple of the German Islands, especially thouse where motor vehicles are banned. At least one of them carries(or carried) both passengers and freight from the ferry pier several miles to one or more settlements usually on the seaward side of the Island. Sort of Isle of Wight in miniature. 

• RMweb Gold

Why didn't I think of that? The grand plan was indeed to provide a link from Wales to France, via Poole and Cherbourg, and it did for both passengers and goods from 1858 on and off until 1888. Goods wagons, including cattle wagons, were run down the slipway usually by rope, but sometimes by locomotive power, providing enough trucks were used to keep the loco on the level, at the top of the slip.

During this period passengers could book through to Paris from Cardiff and were routed by the fastest available route, which depended on time of day and tides.  On occasion, they were sent westwards from Cardiff to Barry Pier, by Barry Railway steamer to Burnham on Sea, SDJR to Bournmouth thence LSWR to Poole, then Cherbourg and Paris, a circuitous and tiring journey that must have been lovely when it was over!

• Like 1

Roscoff. Not very port-y as a station, but serving a port. And really rather bijou.

There were a few like that in France where you had a fairly normal terminus station but a line extending, sometimes from the goods yard,  to a small cargo port. Fecamp was a good example with a fairly important port as was Honfleur. Trouville-Deauville was/is a more important terminus but it too had a line that nipped out of the goods yard over the road to serve a couple of small quays. A particularly charming one was Paimbouef where the station was very compact but a harbour line emerged from a gate in the goods yard to serve a small port that was also compact and asking to be modelled. It also had an adjoining metre gauge station.

Les Sables d'Olonne was/is a relatively busy terminus but the harbour branch junction was near the throat so the actual station was conventional. I visited it a few years ago and, though disused, the harbour branch (mainly fish and timber I think)  was still intact. At the station I found a TGV muttering to itself in the main platform with pantographs up and overhead wires which all seemed normal enough till I realised that the line from the junction at La Roche sur Yonne was single track, mechnanically signalled and very definitely unelectrified. From 2000-2004 the seaside resort was connected to Paris by a TGV that was dragged to and from La Roche by one of three 66000 CC72000 diesel specally fitted with Scharfenberg couplers. The OHE ran just the length of the main platform to power the air con and  other services while the TGV was sitting there- definitely in the prototype for everything department. That operation- very expensive in terms of crews and motive power for a relatively short run-  ceased in 2004 -but since 2008 the line has been properly electrified and the signalling modernised.The upgrade cost €105M and enables the line to once again handle two return TGVs each day. 

Edited by Pacific231G

Requirements for Customs and Immigration control must have restricted the number of places where trains and ships were literally side by side. Places like Canada and the USA were countries that could have a justification for largish ships on domestic traffic, so no reason why trains and shipping could not be close together.

Greenore in Ireland was right next to the quayside

Far less than you might think. Immigration controls were almost non-existent until the early twentieth century and at places like Dieppe,Cherbourg,Calais, Boulogne and even Folkestone the passenger platforms and quayside were literally side by side. Even in the 1960s you could often step from train to ship  with passport checks at the foot of the gangplank. Coming off the ship you might well be coralled through a customs shed with your train a tantalising few steps away.   At Dieppe, until a new terminal was built in the early 1950s, there were no permanent fences between the retaurants and bars on the street that ran along the shoreward side of the quay, the tracks that ran either side of the passenger building and the actual quayside. Temporary barriers were used when there was a need to check passengers and to keep onlookers off the quayside when ferries were being loaded and unloaded but the rest of the time the entire gare maritime was completely open for anyone to stroll around on.

I did arrive at Tilbury Riverside on a Russian ship in the mid 1960s and customs and immigration checks were carried out aboard the ship and I asume we were then given a landing chit..Once we'd stepped onto the quay we were free to get on the train to Fenchurch Street but I can't remember where the train was in relation to the quayside.

Having thought about it, I would suggest Greenock Princes Pier as a location that might answer the OP's requirements. It certainly wasn't the only station in the town, and wasn't even a major one for regular service. However, it did have a passenger service from Glasgow St. Enoch till 1959. What it did have was trains taking passengers to and from Cunard and Canadian Pacific liners, which lay off in the anchorage at the Tail of the Bank and were serviced by Clyde steamers running as tenders from Princes Pier. These liners called regularly (each weekly?) into the 1960s - the last boat trains ran in 1965.

It also makes for a great layout, with all the convenient features, station, tunnel mouth, locomotive depot etc.  Renfrewshire MRG saw the potential and made an excellent model back in the 1960/70s.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/greenock_princes_pier/

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another place you could look at is the main station at Waterford, in Southern Ireland, now Plunkett, formerly North. Sometime ago there was a triweekly service from Fishguard, aka the 'cattle boat', run by the good ship Great Western. This docked at Adelphi Wharf, south side of the river, and a hike along the quay and across the Suir to the station,which was the main one for the city, also south of the river. It was very compact, being bordered by a rocky cutting on the north side, and the track layout resembled a smaller version of the old Cambridge, a single long main platform with bays at the ends. With the cross country branches now closed, it ran a good variety of services from quite a neat looking place, and you could shorten the walk from the quay, something I would have appreciated!

(Edit: sorry,it just struck me it's a through station, though you could chop the east end off, being the quietest piece.)

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

Cobh in Ireland is another example of the station immediately alongside the quay - much used as an emigrant port at one time.

Plymouth Millbay had the same sort of idea but there the line to the docks and quay bypassed the main passenger station instead of the station being directly alongside the quay.

• RMweb Premium

Whitehaven. I've been there today (class 37 there and back). I didn't realise that it used to be an important port for both freight and passenger. There was a board by the harbour giving the passenger boat times to Liverpool in times gone by.