A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

I'm not sure if "cameo" is really the right word to describe these types of layouts. To me it means something part of a larger whole, eg making a small appearance in a wider production.

So would a Tri-ang 'Princess Royal", with steamroller wheels on a short piece of Series 3 track, be considered as a "cameo" on an otherwise finescale layout?

Yes, but it wouldn't win over the same layout with a handbuilt, P4 Princess.

It's not about winning, it's just to getting the creative juices flowing and producing a small, self contained, well presented railway scene. Choose whatever gauge, standard you want. Just be realistic, all other things being equal, handbuilt will 'score higher marks' than RTR.

If it gets a few more people building something, anything, it's a success. A few will see theirs in print and at at an exhibition. One talented individual will win.

Cameo, does it really matter what it's called? It's just a name Iain has used.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, let me get this straight. The "natural" viewing height is that which one gets by standing on a can of worms? Would a can of beans also work?

The answer to that is blowing in the wind.

Sweet Jesus, the guys have just set up a competition based on the themes in the book. Yes, it'll sell them a few more books, good for them, they've both served the hobby well over many years and deserve it. If you're not interested, don't understand it, fine,leave it to those who might get some satisfaction out of it.

+1

Yes, but it wouldn't win over the same layout with a handbuilt, P4 Princess.

Why not?

Or, more accurately, in a competition with a different layout why would a handbuilt P4 princess be a deal-breaker. I mean, the handbuilt loco might just have been borrowed for the day of the judges' visit?

Alternatively, if the judges' plan is to give preference to P4 over EM and EM over 00 then that should be stated now.

But then the whole thing degenerates into maths - what percentage of the marks are for track and wheel standards; what percentage for cabinet making; what percentage for lighting etc etc etc.

Having said all that a clear statement about standards from the judges would probably short circuit a lot of speculation.

...R

• RMweb Gold

The only 'Rule' I've seen is Buy the book.

Everything else is down to interpretation - and I can't see any reason why any layout would 'fail' to be included.

I have no intention of making my own track, or kit building locos or rolling stock, but the scenery will all be my own work.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Think Punch and Judy......just without Punch, or .............Judy.

The worlds smallest theatre, just with trains.

That's the way to do it!

+1

Why not?

Or, more accurately, in a competition with a different layout why would a handbuilt P4 princess be a deal-breaker. I mean, the handbuilt loco might just have been borrowed for the day of the judges' visit?

Well yeah, but you could have the whole layout professionally built and pretend that you had done it. Perhaps I'll bung Iain Rice a couple of grand to build me one....

The greater the degree of effort and craftsmanship demonstrated the higher it will mark. No doubt there'll also be marks/consideration for overall presentation, creativity, ingenuity, originality etc.

It's very likely that a stunningly creative and original cameo in 00 might do better than a well executed but repetitive GWR branch terminus in EM.

Enter into the spirit. Build what suits you, do it to to your best ability and enjoy.

I'm likely to build it to 00-SF. If building the exact same layout to P4 would earn more marks I'd still build it to 00-SF.

This isn't a sport, it's a creative hobby. The competition is a bit of fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Out, I don't understand the concept.

No, I'm in and will give it a go, sound like a bit of fun and I'll get something built.

Sounds like you can neither confirm nor deny that you do or don't understand the concept or the non-concept, depending or not depending on whether you are in a position to confirm or deny the essence of the notion as to whether this is Art or not.

Sounds like you can neither confirm nor deny that you do or don't understand the concept or the non-concept, depending or not depending on whether you are in a position to confirm or deny the essence of the notion as to whether this is Art or not.

Sir Humphrey lives!!!

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

Q. How many modellers does it take to run a competition ?

A. Two to set the rules, and three hundred and eighty four to change them...

And an additional 3,458 to complain about it and say they won't participate 'cos it's not fair....or something like that.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

What's a "natural viewing height"?

The latest wheeze at work are some electrically adjustable desks - press buttons and the thing goes up and down, so you can work standing up or sitting down, or adjust the thing to a comfortable height if you are tall. 

Build a layout on one of those, and nobody can complain that it's at the wrong height. They just have to fight over the up/down control instead.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To help people who haven't read the book decide whether they'd like to get involved or not, here is a quick guide to the key points that Iain believes "makes" a Cameo layout, all taken from the book.

A Cameo Layout is one where:

• The 3D modelled scene is combined with a 2D backdrop.
  • Complementary fascias, wings and other display aids set off the modelled scene.
  • Carefully considered and built in lighting provides natural illumination for the modelled scene.
  • Necessary offstage areas or staging tracks are built in to the layout.
  • Support structures display the model at a "natural" viewing height.
  • Necessary electrical and mechanical "gubbins" are built in to the layout.

In summary, the underlying criteria are that it should be easy on the eye, easy to move, and require only a single plug to power it.

The book is readily available from all decent railway booksellers, here is a link to its description and details on my own website:

http://titfield.co.uk/Shop.htm

Simon Castens

Perhaps this might help illustrate the concept. Predating the book by about 15 years but ticks all the relevant boxes, maybe I should rename it to "Accidental Cameo".

post-7249-0-24525300-1492876273_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-19698300-1492876302_thumb.jpg

Mark

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-58964500-1492881355.jpg

This is the 'extreme' possibly end of Cameo layouts. Iain referred to it in the book as a 'large cameo', which I suppose it is. Until I read the book I hadn't thought of it as such. But it does meet the criteria as outlined in the original post. Its OO using CD75 Peco track, and built very much thinking about presentation/operation and realism using appropriate motive power and stock.

post-68-0-78907200-1492881526.jpg

This layout however I wouldn't consider an entry, due to its set track, and N scale couplings therefore for me it's not in the 'finescale ethos'. In other respects it meets the original post criteria.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

This does sound an interesting idea.  Here are some of my first thoughts on the matter:

As an ex-military modeller, and wargamer I get the idea of cameos.

When formerly a member of Cumbernauld Model Railway Group we tended to have small cameo scenes on each layout; yes, some were of a more 'adult' nature but most weren't.  For example there was the man chasing the dog down the street (backtrack the chase to the butcher shop and the odd clothing of the figure made sense); there were the handful of foremen and only one guy working on the eternal hole in the road; the ghost on the roof of St. Casper's, etc.  All a bit of fun, but had the desired effect of attracting attention and getting people talking about the main thing - model railways.

I must admit to not being sure what constitutes a "natural viewing height" - at 6' 3" most exhibition layouts are seen by me from an airbourne perspective.

Will I opt in to the competition - possibly, though I am not convinced my skills are really up to it.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1