A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Premium

Nope. Still totally unclear on the concept. Sure it's not for me. As long as those who want to enter understand.

If I may summarise... It seems they should either be small or big. Should either be Finescale or not. Should have lots of detail and either lots of or not much stock. And one plug. And be at a height.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nope. Still totally unclear on the concept. Sure it's not for me. As long as those who want to enter understand.

If I may summarise... It seems they should either be small or big. Should either be Finescale or not. Should have lots of detail and either lots of or not much stock. And one plug. And be at a height.

And that's why it will be handy to have a copy of the book, so as to be able to check that you are still meeting the definition set by the competition organiser.

And that's why it will be handy to have a copy of the book, so as to be able to check that you are still meeting the definition set by the competition organiser.

Pretty essential rather than handy....as it is one of the criteria for entering that you have bought the said book!

• RMweb Gold

Seems pretty clear what Iain defines as a cameo, a nice model with everything including storage and lighting in one unit.

If your unit is artic sized then David is going to have a headache getting it through the doors ;)

As to finescale, the three judges have used various combinations and above all are about it looking right so they won't be obsessed with if it's a scale mm over gauge. What they are looking for when they say finer standards is for it to look in scale. Yes naturally their eyes will pick out the finescale gauges but it doesn't stop you pushing the envelope for fun in OO ;) Chris Nevard does ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest wheeze at work are some electrically adjustable desks - press buttons and the thing goes up and down, so you can work standing up or sitting down, or adjust the thing to a comfortable height if you are tall. 

Build a layout on one of those, and nobody can complain that it's at the wrong height. They just have to fight over the up/down control instead.....

You could be on to something here. A hospital bed would make a decent sized layout base and could be wheeled in and out of a van.

You had a corridor?

Luxury! When I last went I was sat in a toilet with a bottle of acetone and told to sort myself out (true story :laugh:).

Three Yorkshiremen will no doubt be along soon.

• Like 1

Didn't Mr Rice explain his basic idea of a cameo layout in his book Ideas for small Layouts. Wings,proscenium arches,curved back scene and lighting etc.

Ok I know some of the layouts are on two or more boards though the principle is the same I think.

Not got a copy of Cameo Layouts yet,no funds other drains on finances. I would love a copy though

Is there a cut off date for entering?

Steve

Sorry got the book title wrong. Finescale in small spaces sounds more like it,but cant find my copy somebodys tidied up............again

Edited by stevejjjexcov

• RMweb Premium

Having skimmed my way through the book, I feel that my idea hits most of the criteria, but falls over on the operational side, as it does not have any sidings, and as such the operation, from that viewpoint is limited.  

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's how much operation from what Iain wrote in MRJ but realistic operation. that wouldn't preclude a single track terminus although it might be a tad tedious to operate ;)

Like Giles has done with End of the Line and his current project, plus the stunning 2mm Bodmin layout, the operation doesn't just have to be a train.

One of my ideas is just a plain oval of track.....

Like it. Minimalist thinking. Over three years since my dear old Axlebox came up with this. Still needs ballasting and an improved 2D back drop! Someone should also have thought about the rule of thirds.

post-508-0-38554300-1493341354.jpg

I always thought in a cameo everything should all be low relief?

P

• Like 3

"Sorry got the book title wrong. Finescale in small spaces sounds more like it,but cant find my copy somebodys tidied up............again "

Ah, I see I am not the only one suffering with the 'tidy up' gremlins  - a modeller's worst nightmare