A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Paul

Haven't had a chance to post a comment, but it was really good to see Hembourne in the flesh at Warminster, and to find that you were "the" Paul Ash who I used to sell chemicals to at Honda many years ago!!

The layout is an absolute gem, and I'm sorry I didn't have more time to watch.  Hopefully you will have a few more exhibition invites so that I can see it again.

Best regards

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 21:21, DLT said:

Just catching up with developments at Hembourne, and what an absolute stunner of a layout!

So sorry I missed Warminster, but I had a good excuse; I was exhibiting elsewhere.

Really looking forward to seeing more, do you have any more shows booked?

Thanks very much, Dave.

Hembourne will be at the Moors Valley Railway open weekend and model show this coming weekend.  It will be on display in the coach shed along with a number of other layouts.

• Thanks 1

Just back from my first 2 day show with Hembourne at the Moors Valley Railway Model Railway weekend. Once again I have a snagging list.

Replace gearbox on 57xx with High Level gearbox

Replace permanent magnets with electro magnets, more reliable and authentic operation

Make new wooden trestles, lighter and height adjustable 

finish updated stock, new 517, 58xx and a couple more coaches.

Next exhibition should be April 2020, watch this space. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Starting to work my way through a list of additional details and improvements to the layout before it’s next outing, starting with telegraph wires.  These are made from EZ line in fine black.  It stretches so won’t break or damage the telegraph poles. Not so easy to fit but another little detail.

For the record Hembourne will be appearing at the following shows in 2020.

18th April 20 Eastleigh

16/17th May 20 Salisbury 

24th Oct 20 Newbury

7164A02F-A806-4828-9272-4CC2D6BFD1AB.jpeg

• Like 16

This layout is gorgeous! It's given me a lot of inspiration for my own GWR layout in progress. I must ask, do you simply scribe all detail into the card when you built the structures? You do not cover the scribed card with brick papers or anything of the like afterwards?

Amanda

5 hours ago, WM183 said:

This layout is gorgeous! It's given me a lot of inspiration for my own GWR layout in progress. I must ask, do you simply scribe all detail into the card when you built the structures? You do not cover the scribed card with brick papers or anything of the like afterwards?

Amanda

Amanda,

The card is scribed for planking or bricks and painted with enamels for the base coat and acrylics for the brickwork colours. I have not used any brick papers. The stonework is embossed plasticard stuck onto the card and painted with enamels.

Paul

C12ABF89-8E8B-426A-B7E5-A3E11D15C1EB.jpeg

9BC9412E-4922-4AD1-A27E-8ED4E4126DA2.jpeg

5AB8513B-8D6B-4C9E-889A-AC3B4D392131.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Just now, PUASHP said:

Amanda,

The card is scribed for planking or bricks and painted with enamels for the base coat and acrylics for the brickwork colours. I have not used any brick papers. The stonework is embossed plasticard stuck onto the card and painted with enamels.

Paul

C12ABF89-8E8B-426A-B7E5-A3E11D15C1EB.jpeg

9BC9412E-4922-4AD1-A27E-8ED4E4126DA2.jpeg

5AB8513B-8D6B-4C9E-889A-AC3B4D392131.jpeg

F

FCE9DF15-09BF-4810-9207-063526EB8B01.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2019 at 20:11, PUASHP said:

The card came from a Daiso store in Japan as I was fortunate enough to be visiting there on business and picked up a few packs.  Not seen an equivelent in the UK. 

It it is really good stuff and takes scoring and painting without de-laminating. I have enough for my next project (just). Sorry that does not really help.

Have done a bit of web searching, and that card appears to be 400gsm, brilliant white, acid free, printable on both sides, and used for making business cards - which must needs be a touch durable.

You can buy 50 A3 sheets online at a certain auction site for £24!

You can buy 500 sheets for £190 - what a bargain!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I found your layout through the links on the EM gauge society which I've just joined. One of the best things about returning to this hobby is being able to watch beautiful layouts like yours take shape without having to watch in real time. I've read through the whole thread in my lunch hour and am ready to go home and start modelling.

Your model is exceptional, especially the back scene.

Cheers,

Doug

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to the layout after 6 months and starting to prepare for its next outing in April at the Narrow  Gauge Show in Eastleigh ( it is the token standard gauge layout). 

Starting with a look look at the stock and some minor improvements. First up another attempt to get the GWR coach roofs looking realistic in their weathered white. I have used AK Interactive pigment fixer with white, black and dark earth pigments, applied both wet and dry in various coats.

Next up is the finish the build on a 4 wheel all third for the branch train to go with the 3rd brake and 1st/3rd composite. 

CE1ED32B-CBAB-46AF-9A27-267AF0523700.jpeg

18A1A5C8-9992-44D5-8CC5-8AAA83A63E83.jpeg

28CBBCBA-D216-4608-8D02-3824D5B90328.jpeg

C9653E08-837A-4D7A-94DA-2EFDEB0ECFDE.jpeg

CD5F920F-D775-4A6C-B5D4-D8FA7555C1ED.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Have you completed any further work on Hembourne? 

It is such a shame that so many of the photos have disappeared - I found the thread thoroughly inspiring.

All the best,

Nick.

• Agree 3