A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold

I have noted that so far there has been a distinct lack of sausages in this thread and to resolve this issue, I think that there should be a sausage factory or at least a sausage warehouse.

I cannot overstate how much I appreciate this kind of invaluable input.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can just see a small bespoke building in which is the sausage factory belonging to Mr Wellbeloved Banger, Victorian sausage entrepreneur.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can just see a small bespoke building in which is the sausage factory belonging to Mr Wellbeloved Banger, Victorian sausage entrepreneur.......

post-7025-0-75480400-1502265698_thumb.png

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's a quick update on 'Bethesda Sidings'.

The large item of work on the house is now complete, and the way is clearing for me to move my train room to a slightly larger room, which will give me enough space to have 'Bethesda Sidings' put up to be worked on.

First, though, I need to build the baseboard.

Having considered various options, I am probably going to go for a DIY job, and get our local timber merchant to cut some pieces of birch ply to the precise sizes, including the proscenium arch.

But before I do that, I will finish work on the light railway J72 (the final part of that will generate another blog post), and complete work on the last remaining set of points.

Once all that's done, I'll probably get distracted and may look at building another loco for the layout before I do the baseboards.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That's some far-out syncopation received in the realm of cute little industrial locomotives, but I'm in a bit of a quandary as to whether 'Bethesda Sidings' will need one.

Of course it will..........

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit more progress this afternoon, as I have now cleaned up the remaining solder from the rather old copper clad point that John F (Re6/6) gave me a few months ago, prior to adding cosmetic chairs.

The point was built by John some time in the 1970s, I believe, and needed a bit of restoration work, which included new switch blades, new tie bar and some replacement sleepers.

Having cleaned the sleepers up after using the solder braid and then having gapped the sleepers, it was time to test some stock over it.

Here is the almost complete 'Jennifer' testing the point:

post-57-0-92643000-1506970565.jpg

And then it was the turn of the recently completed 'Planet' diesel:

post-57-0-52307600-1506970577.jpg

Both locomotives will form part of the core fleet of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, that has running powers into the yard.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Emile wears long trousers but Serge does not.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

The best blue serge pants are from Haverfordwest.

Even Elvis sang about them.

Uh huh.

Edited by nhy581

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nov, Dec and January - any actual progress?

Ah, Gordon, my friend, there you have managed to hit a nail on it's head.

No progress, unfortunately. Nothing at all. The reason for this, however, is due to illness and also the fact that my wife broke her hand early on in November, so I suddenly became very busy with all the household chores and looking after her.

Now that her hand is beginning to improve again, I have resumed work on moving my railway room to another part of the house and any serious work on the layout is going to have to wait until I have moved upstairs, because up there I will actually have (just) enough room to put a small layout up and leave it up to be worked on.

Currently varnishing some pine shelves and getting ready to put them up, prior to moving stuff upstairs.