Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

I'm fairly sure the thread on the old forum covered this - with most DMUs it happened from c1978 but IIRC opinion being that the SR sets were generally a tad later

Here's the link to GarryD100's thread on the old forum. Be prepared !!!..... It runs for 17 pages, starting from Dapol's original announcement, and includes, as PennineMC states, more information.

http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=11&t=22769

• RMweb Gold

Dare I ask why some units have been put down to £110 and others left at £150?

I just think they have not got around to changing it. I have the NSE 2H on order and it is still listed as 149.99. There are no 3 car sets available to order so that is not the reason. If they were doing a 3H set they would definitely be a blue/grey one. Eventually there will be a 3H but that is definitely not the reason for the prices as its states 149.99 for a 2H.

That seems a fair assumption, Cromptonnut! It works out about £70 for a power car, and about £40 per trailer, plus about £100 for the sound chip and speaker.

It would also seem to indicate that the lower prices are for the units which will be produced in the first round of releases, whilst those which may have been deferred until later haven't been marked down yet.

This afternoon, I spoke to Kernow, to enquire as to the possibility of a GREEN digital sound one in the early releases (as there are likely to be two green ones), but was told that, at best, there may be green sound-fitted to follow 'sometime later'. Still, as a blue one is being released with sound, I'm hoping that all of them will be simple to adapt and after-fit sound oneself.

Hope Howes read this Forum! (Or any other sound chip supplier!)

• 1 year later...

Kernow's web-site has indicated that the Hampshire Units were likely to be released during this year. I have just contacted them (so that my Visa card can be ready for the shock to come) and Chris has replied that they are not expected until the end of the year at the earliest

A bit of a disappointment - for me, if not for my card!

Better to get it right than half right surely? Plus the fact that they are being really hands on with the BWT shows how much they want to get it right for the customer and sets a good precident. Admittedly some CAD/Engineering images would be nice but that's up to them :)

• RMweb Premium

Kernow shifted the Thumper from Dapol to Bachmann to get it sooner and at a much better price.

I suspect Bachmann's rush to release certain other popular items (one of which might perhaps be blue and white, for example) has caused the smaller-volume commission work (not confined to this model) to slip down the queue. At least we still have the better price when they finally do appear. £149 was going to be at the top end of reasonable for a 2-car unit.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the Kernow Thumper has appeared in their weekly newsletter:

Limited Edition News - Class 205 Thumper Project

The recent arrival of the excellent Bachmann 2-EPB model has prompted many people to contact us to see what is happening with our Thumper project. For various reasons there has been a bit of a backlog at Bachmann as there are only so many projects that can be worked on at a time and any delay to one project will impact on many others. The good news is that the designer responsible for the 2-EPB model is now working on our Thumper as a top priority and we have some pictures of the work in progress.

Studio_Thumper_4.jpg

Studio_Thumper_2.jpg

Studio_Thumper_1.jpg

It is important to note that although laser scanning saves a considerable amount of time initially there are still many variations to be measured, drawn, checked and rechecked which all takes time. To reduce the number of tooling variations and therefore speed up the design process and keep the costs down we have decided to have just one style of roof in the initial batch and this will feature the cable conduits that were only on the initial build of 2-H units. This does mean that we will have to re-schedule which models are released in the first batch and unfortunately this means that K2005 and K2005DS, both numbered 1120 in BR Blue livery will be delayed until a later production as the tooling will not be correct for this model. We will instead bring forward the production of K2002 number 205 012 in Connex livery and the price of this will be reduced to £119.99.

The other models due in the first batch are unchanged, but the price of these models will be increased to £119.99 for new orders only. If you already have an existing order for K2003 or K2007 to reward your loyalty and patience the price of your pre-order will remain at £112.99.

In response to customer demand we will now produce a DCC Sound version in BR Green livery in the first batch, this will be model number K2003DS and unit number 1108.

Units to be released in the first batch - see further details on our website by clicking on the picture.

prod_25953.jpg K2002 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £119.99

prod_27287.jpg K2003 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £119.99

prod_35371.jpg K2003DS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £199.99

prod_27412.jpg K2007 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £119.99

Units to be released in subsequent batches - See further details on our website by clicking on the picture.

prod_25952.jpg K2001 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £149.99

prod_27288.jpg K2004 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £149.99

prod_27289.jpg K2005 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £119.99

prod_30034.jpg K2005DS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £199.99

prod_27290.jpg K2006 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit £149.99

To try and answer some frequently asked questions we do not at this stage have a date for the first or the second batch, but we do hope to have a pre-production sample towards the end of this year. At that stage we should be in a position to give more specific delivery dates.

The price of the units still shown at £149.99 will almost certainly be less but there is no point our reducing it on the system at this stage. Distance selling regulations mean that if we were to show these units at a reduced price and then have to increase it again in the future we would have to contact every single customer to establish they still wish to proceed. With thousands of orders this could be a huge task, so please rest assured that if you order at the higher price and we are subsequently able to reduce it, the price reduction will apply to everyone who has pre-ordered.

We are often asked about our future plans for three car units or the Berkshire variant and this will depend entirely upon sales of the initial batches.

If you wish to change your pre-order as a result of these changes the best way is to place a new order through our website. As many of the existing orders have been on the system for some time now placing a new order will also ensure your card details are up to date. Please remember to add a note to the customer message field that your order replaces your existing order! If you change between liveries you will still receive the model at the previous price of £112.99.

While we are disappointed that progress has been very slow to date we fully understand the reasons for this are are extremely happy that we have the same designer who worked on the CEP and the EPB. We are absolutely certain that the model will be worth the wait and will do all we can to speed the progress of production without compromising the quality of the finished model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As the release says it is a decision made in order to get at least one body style onto the shelves as soon as possible and the rest will still follow later. I understand the logic in that. One tooling for now to get some product out and some of the costs recovered then alter the tooling for the rest of the models as soon as possible. The alternative might have been another 12 - 18 months for the full range to be ready during which time more frustration may arise on all sides.

I'm sure the delays on the Thumper and the funds tied up there also mean Kernow has been held back from announcing something else - they have suggested at times there are more commissions in the pipeline.

It's also good to have such a comprehensive update provided even if the news is a bit of a mixed blessing for some.

Wonder what the relative sales numbers are

Not split by livery but from the Kernow web page

Over half of these models have now been pre-sold.

I've been holding off pre-ordering; I wanted one with sound but was not too keen on it being the blue one. So, the announcement of an extra green version with sound is good news. However, I went straight to Kernow's website to place a pre-order for the green one with sound ... it ain't there yet!! I'll keep a close eye on the websoite and take the plunge as soon as thy get the extra item online.

I'm still glad for the delay though - my card has really taken a hammering recently!

• RMweb Premium

It's been there since before the newsletter went live Jeff. One or two people have been fooled into looking for a product K2008 which is the next in the series. The sound-fitted unit is item K2003DS

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35371/K2003DS_Bachmann_Class_205_2H_Thumper_Unit_number_1108

Clicking on the pictures in Andy's post above also takes you to the relevant item on the Kernow site.

I would also have liked the NSE one to be brought forward, but as they have shown this as 205 025 presumably they cannot do this one on the initial batch as it would be incorrect. If I remember right they can only do units 205 001 to 205 018 (or 1101 to 1118 in old money). I am going to search through my photos to see if I can find another 2 car NSE one from within that number range in case that is of use.

• RMweb Premium

I also preordered the rail blue version and hoped it would be delivered later on this year or early next year.

It could be possible to produce a 3T unit in blue and blue/grey by using a suitably modified 2EPB trailer:

According to Wikipedia the following formations are possible:

1401 (204 001) 60107 + 77500 + 60807 (ex-1108)

1403 (204 003) 60102 + 77507 + 60802 (ex-1103)

1404 (204 004) 60103 + 77503 + 60803 (ex-1104)

All these were withdrawn in 1987.

I've emailed this suggestion to Kernow as it makes use of Bachmann's DTS from their 2EPB, and am waiting for their reply.

• RMweb Premium

Had a reply from Kernow on this point:

thanks for your email. This is a subject which the boss has already looked into, and we have asked Bachmann whether this might be possible. However, as I understand it, the existing tooling/wiring for the 2-EPB would have to be altered somewhat. Unfortunately, this is due to the through-electrical coupling not being present on the driving cab end of the EPB, thus precluding the inclusion of it in the middle of a 2 car unit as the digital control of lighting etc would not be possible.

All the best for now,

Greg

At least I've asked, so it's now a case of waiting well into next year or even 2013 for a 2-car rail blue variant.

According to Wikipedia the following formations are possible:

1401 (204 001) 60107 + 77500 + 60807 (ex-1108)

1403 (204 003) 60102 + 77507 + 60802 (ex-1103)

1404 (204 004) 60103 + 77503 + 60803 (ex-1104)

The post from Andy above states that first models to be made are the early series ones and with the blue one, being 1120, we will have to wait for that as the conduit on the roof was different.

From this I'm presuming that the blue model can only be used for 1402 (60121 + 77508 + 60821), ex-1122, and for the other three units one would need to repaint a unit in one of the other liveries (eg green or Connex).

Having won a free 2-EPB at DEMU I'll be looking to split sections from the chassis' of both the cars to make one centre trailer for a 3T which will have working electrical connections all the way through.

• RMweb Premium

You're right, only 1402 could be modelled as a 3T based on Kernow's plans, however, all these units only ever carried blue, and later on, blue/grey livery until withdrawal in 1987.

Other units had the 10-bay trailer seconds which haven't been tooled up by Bachmann yet.

• RMweb Premium

Fundamentally to "Mk 1 profile" though don't forget they have different intermediate couplers and connections compared with the loco-hauled stock. You could drop a BR suburban in there (assuming you can get the couplers to mate) just the same as you could make a 4EPB from a 2EPB that way. But it wouldn't necessarily look right.

I'm happy to wait developments and maybe we get an intermediate trailer in due course from Kernow. If not I'll still have a perfectly good 2-car unit in the unusual "orange V" livery which still represents the type at a suitable moment in history for my purposes.

• 7 months later...