Tresarrick - OO 1980s in Cornwall - WITHDRAWN

Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

Ramblin rich finally has something to show....

On the old forum I prevaricated & waffled at length rolleyes.gif about a design to fit within 9 feet on my conservatory worktop. [edit - link to old thread http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=66&t=26276 ]

I have finally decided on this design with a 7 foot scenic area:

post-6864-126960726063_thumb.jpg

This only has a small fiddle yard area, but allows some "shuntability" as it is. It is "X-Panda-Bull" though, I intend to build an add on to the left side with the clay dries & a larger fiddle yard. Freight trains would then appear from the upper left track, be shunted & marshalled before going down the lower left track to the clay dries & return. Passenger trains run through to the right (small) fiddle yard - this yard also acts as the end of the run-round loop.

The main period would be late 1980s when class 37s ruled & clay hood wagons gave way to CDA hoppers. Speedlink services add some variety of wagon types, Kernow's Clay Tigers will be a must. I will have some variation in time to allow class 25s to run.

Passenger services are with a 108 DMU, but I really can't resist the current 153 & 150 models! smile.gif

The difference now is that this is actually under construction ohmy.gif -the boards are made & I hope to have a mock up over the next week to see how things look in 3D. wink.gif Other 'arf has pretty much badgered me into actually starting intsead of just dreaming & who am I to ignore such a motivation? tongue.gif

I can't promise any rapid progress, work + 2 year old + another lil'un due in July means time is tight, but ever if I dont' get things finished by October at leat I'll have done something....

Oh, and just to show that I haven't stopped prevaricating, rolleyes.gif the idea of baseing things nearer home in Devon keeps nagging away in my mind - something like Heathfield but with an intact Teign Valley line & a basic passenger service? I've seen a picture of a class 31 on Clay Tigers which appeals.....

Or North Devon with Meeth traffic surviving into the 1990s & a connection to Okehampton with passenger services.....

(just shut up & build the damm thing....)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George - the simplicity is intentional, and I really want to be able to show the railway within the landscape.

I should have said this is all with Peco code 75, large radius + Y point. I would like to try re-spacing the sleepers on the plain track, we'll have to see if that works!:blink:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

RR - The layout has a nice feel about it - the small platform and shelter has shades of the Looe line I guess?

Good idea to build something small and simple with a view to expanding later...which sometimes doesn't always happen due to changes in circumstances.

It has all the right ingredients though, 25's, 37's, clay hoods, Tigers, clay dries...looks set to be a really nice layout and keep posting as always enjoyed to read them on RMWeb 3...

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

I really like the look of that, you'll achieve a good balance of spaciousness and activity IMHO. Like the expandability also.

"Oh, and just to show that I haven't stopped prevaricating, rolleyes.gif the idea of baseing things nearer home in Devon keeps nagging away in my mind - something like Heathfield but with an intact Teign Valley line & a basic passenger service? I've seen a picture of a class 31 on Clay Tigers which appeals.....

Or North Devon with Meeth traffic surviving into the 1990s & a connection to Okehampton with passenger services....."

He he, yeah I know that feeling, all good options, I expect you can guess which one I'd prefer.wink.gif .

Consider yourself bookmarked sir!

Cheers, Matt

• RMweb Gold

Well, since Pete & Matt have given this topic a nudge I'd better respond....

I have made painfully protracted progress, work & home commitments have slowed things down & I really don't know how far this will go....huh.gif

I'm definitely leaning to an ex-LSWR location with concrete platforms like the Bodmin & Wadebridge lines - but this could still be appropriate for a North Devon location too so still some indecision there! tongue.gif

At present I'm fettling the Peco points & setting out the track so not very exciting.

I'm using some SMP track in the siding & clay works line which looks quite nice, but the lack of depth on the sleepers is an issue. I've also tried re-spacing sleepers on Peco track for the other lines & this also looks better. I've removed the springs & tiebars form the Peco points & replaced with copperclad - this looks a bit obvious unpainted but hopefully will blend in better when all painted the same!

If the other 'alf gets drawn into watching Big Brother later I may get some photos to show!

• RMweb Gold

Look! I've actually done stuff!:blink::lol:

The layout is actually a mirror image of the plan above (just to be awkward) - if / when it gets relocated into the loft this will allow "phase 2" more room.

The baseboards are simple ply boxes - I intend to add insulation foam for the landscape. I'm also thinking of hacking a "trough" to incorporate a stream along the front of the "station" board - there's enough framing to keep the strength & if I add foam under the board for the stream bed it should also add to the strength.

View of the junction area - CDA hoppers on the siding, VGA van on the line to the clay works

post-6864-127611844334_thumb.jpg

View in opposite direction, 108 DMU on platform line

post-6864-127611847469_thumb.jpg

What I did to the poor, unsuspecting Peco points! Tiebar & spring mechanism removed & replaced with copperclad. I'm using miniature slide switches under the board to switch polarity & they also have an over-centre spring action to keep the switch blades in place (I hope).

I had to pack up the SMP track with card to allow for the thinner sleepers compared to the Peco sleepers.

post-6864-127611845243.jpg

Closeup of the join between boards with the replacement tiebar & copperclad sleepers to secure converging tracks. There's a shortened fishplate on the live rails and a cut-down insulating fishplate to prevent shorting on the live frog lines. I made the tiebars with small slots to house the little tags on the Peco switchblades - there's one alongside:

post-6864-127611846971.jpg

Track comparison - standard Peco at top, my re-spaced Peco track in the middle, SMP at the bottom.

post-6864-127611846015_thumb.jpg

The SMP has the advantage of being at a better spacing, but the sleeper depth is very shallow & I'm not sure how well the ballasting will go. I'm using the SMP on the siding & clay works line which are meant to be a bit run down & overgrown so hopefully that will help disguise the lack of depth. (I'm aware of the Exactoscale track bases being a better depth but I managed to find SMP in my local shop so I thought it was worth a go!).

A couple of gratuitous posed shots to finish:

post-6864-127611848103.jpg

post-6864-127611843715_thumb.jpg

I'd like to get the track laid & wired & then have a spray over with primer to get the track colouring started, then start on scenics.... oh dear, lots to do & little free time. We'll see how it goes....

• RMweb Gold

Very very very interesting.

If prevarication results in a project with the potential of this one then I'm limiting myself to half an hour of modelling per month max(oh hang on sometimes it is that alreadyrolleyes.gif ). Seriously the nice balance of space and activity promised by the plans is already starting to show, I shall look forward to this one progressing(fast or slow). Interesting dabbling with the track as well nice to see how it works ballasted.(well i think).

Cheers, Matt

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments Matt. I wanted space to allow some scenic development & enough length to shunt my "standard" 6 CDA train, any more points / sidings would have reduced the usable length. It can act as an Inglenook, so I can play at wagon shuffling when I fancy itwink.gif

I am questioning my sanity with re-spacing the Peco track - I found a kind of guillotine action works well, with the knife blade point on the board acting as a pivot, an up-and-down action while moving the (inverted!) track into place under the blade. It still took about half an hour for 1 yard of track & you end up with hundreds of little bits of plastic if you go the whole hog & remove the webs completelyblink.gif

Interestingly, the re-spaced track now seems difficult to form into a curve - I think it's due to the sleepers not keeping at 90 degrees to the rails & needing to be re-positioned when the line is set out. I haven't actually laid the re-set track yet, I may have to temporarily use pins to keep the position while the glue sets....

Anyway, end of break, brush crumbs from keyboard & back to work. Hopefully I can get back to tracklaying tonight if other 'alf gets involved watching Brig Bother laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Rich - Great progress!

Really like it - the mix of china clay and minimal passenger services is right up my street!

You get a good feel for the layout already and looks like you will have some fun rearranging the CDA's in the sidings. Are you going to have clay hoods too?

Why not get a feel for the scenery by cutting some brown corrugated cardboard and layering it to get a feel for the contours? I did this with CJ and after you can cut + carve it and then slap some scultamold (fantastic stuff) on top of it to get the scenery base.

I hope you can post more photos soon and even though I am not a fan of Big Brother, something tells me that it is having a positive effect on your modelling at present ;)

Pete

So stop posting on here (for the time being), and "git weavin" on the modelling ! :D Looks a spacious layout, not cramped, so the scenery will not looked cramped (Some layouts try to put too much track in the space available). I do like it.

On a side note, using Code 55 Peco, I'm drilling a small hole in a sleeper near the end of each length of track, and knocking a Peco track pin in, on 12mm ply. This, in addition to the "Instant Roadbed" from W hobby, keeps the track in position, although I'm not cutting the inter-sleeper webs out completely.

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for encouraging words! I have made some further progress with track laying but not worth posting pictures yet, wait until I've got it all set out...tongue.gif Sazzle gave up on Big Brother but she's happy sitting in the conservatory with the light evenings so I can get a bit more done.

Pete - yes, I do intend to use clay hoods, I'd like to model the time of the changeover. My 37 is not strictly correct as the only one in triple grey then had over size logos, but I can live with it (I can hear groans & knashing teeth in the background....). I have my eye on the Kernow Clay Tigers too, they are a must but any more than 2 or 3 would be too much for the space I've gotblink.gif I also have a 25 for the older era around 1980-82.

One further idea for "play value" is to have a propelling brake van for the loco to push trains down the line to the clay works - maybe splitting the train, propel 1st half, return with van, propel 2nd half, then return each half in turn. I have the arrangement at Ponts Mill in mind here.

Thanks for the tip on scenery, I have some old boxes I can cut up rather than use foam, will save a few pennies & less in the bin cool.gif

Dennis, thanks for the tip on baseboard joint, in fact I've drilled through the sleepers at the joint and pushed some point control wire through into the baseboard to keep alignment (I hope!) - you can just see the holes in the copperclad on my closeup picture. The sleepers are stuck down using decorators PVA based glue / filler applied form a cartridge gun & spread out to a thin layer - hopefully that will also seal the cork.

I've got 1 more length of track to re-space the sleepers on & set out, then track laying will be done for now!biggrin.gif

Then I've got to sort the wiring dry.gif I need to figure how to mount the slide switches under the boards so they will line up with the tiebar, but with the switch lying on its side. I can then drill a hole in the switch toggle to house a wire going up to the tiebar - some form of mounting block with adjustment is needed, I think, probably just a wood bloick with a cutout for the switch to sit in. If this sounds complex hopefully it will look simple when I've done it! wink.gif

Incidentally, do you think I'm using too many smilies ohmy.gif laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, do you think I'm using too many smilies ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Less is more ;)

Seriously though...I like the narrative you have described for the layout and I can understand why you want to stretch the time line a little. There is something very compelling about a class 25 on clay hoods...and equally a LL 37 (37175 springs to mind) is equally appealing. You makes the rules and all that...so a little bending of them is down to the individual!

The more I think of it...I wish I had laid out my boards as per that crazy sketch I did on RMWeb3 (the one where I flipped the board over to represent Coombe after it was rationalised) as after all, the line from Lamellion bridge to Moorswater is little changed...apart from more overgrown....I think I have gone too far to change now though.

Keep posting Rich...there can never be enough china clay layouts in my mind so good to see your progress.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for your kind words Pete. I've just spent an hour respacing the sleepers on the last length of track but not properly laid down yet - as I said earlier, keeping the track in place while gluing down is a of an issue so I've called it a night. I am still wondering if I made the right decision over the track!

My inspiration has always been a cross between Coombe and Boscarne junctions, but I've also had in mind pictures of the line to Meeth with 25s (and later 31s) trundling clay hoods past the old concrete platforms. I'd really like to get the run down & rather overgrown effect if possible. We'll have to see if my abilities can match my imagination....

Rich,

I don't know what type of point motors you're going to use, but on my N scale layout I'm using SEEP PM1's.

Probably I'm violating the forum's Code of Conduct, :D by reading the instructions before putting the point motors in. They recommend drilling a hole from the mid-position of the tie bar from the top, so you've got at least a locating hole right through to give you some idea of how to position the motors. I may be misinterpreting your posting, so feel free to ignore this post if you wish.

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dennis - I actually intend to use wire in tube to move the point blades, with slide switches mounted under the tie bars. The switches change the live frog polarity & also act to latch the tiebars in place (I hope). It will need a bit of thinking & doing, I'll need some adjustability to get it set up right, so I'll post some pictures when I've got on with things. When that will actually be is another matter....

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A update of sorts - due to the slightly early & rather swift arrival of offspring v2.0 (!) there has been no progress for the past few weeks :blink:. I am unsure how far things will get by October so the challenge aspect is probably not going to be met - I will most likely end up moving this to a general layout thread for continuing work....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind words folks.

I have managed to finish laying the tracks. The platform line was laid as one piece, with copperclad sleepers either side of the baseboard joint & secured to the boards as with the points (ie drilled through the sleepers into the boards & lengths of wire inserted to keep alignment).

I then cut through with a slitting disc, separated & re-joined the boards. What do you know - aligment maintained biggrin.gif

I now need to knock up some mounting system for the slide switches to go under the tie bars - still thinking this through at the moment. Whenever I sit down I have a tendancy to nod off though......zzzzz..... sleep.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don't worry, that passes after 2-3 years....

Well, it took 2 years to get back on track following our 1st, so I figure it's probably 22 with a 2nd little one. That October deadline is a no-go I'm afraid - but I am determined to keep pottering on this....

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sadly it's time to admit defeat here. I've done nothing in the past 8 weeks & there's no hope of meaningful progress soon. I do intend to continue working on this so I'll post in the normal layouts thread section when I have something to show.

Good luck to everyone else remaining in the challenge!

• RMweb Gold

Rich - completely understand - its not easy do model railways when young kids get in the way :P but trust me you will be back to it at some point. These competitions are great motivators for starting layouts and even if they are not all entered its good that they start something - will hang out to see the progress as this layout has a nice feel to it. Enjoy the time with your young family - Pete

Archived