Stubby47's buildings and other modelling

• RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2022 at 09:23, Stubby47 said:

A generic yard diorama,  on which various other bits can be added as needed.

20220427_091424~2.jpg

Hi Stu, would you mind sharing what you used or methods adopted to represent the yard surface - looks very promising.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

Hi Stu, would you mind sharing what you used or methods adopted to represent the yard surface - looks very promising.

Hi Mark,

It's a 9mm plywood base, covered in Plastikote stone spray, then washed over with Games Workshop Nuln Oil.

Simple really, but the Plastikote stinks and takes ages to dry (24 hours usually, if not in a cold place).

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Mark,

It's a 9mm plywood base, covered in Plastikote stone spray, then washed over with Games Workshop Nuln Oil.

Simple really, but the Plastikote stinks and takes ages to dry (24 hours usually, if not in a cold place).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for explaining the method Stu. I will need to give this a go myself - looks like Plastikote can not only be used as convincing pebbledash for buildings but also as yard surfaces. I suspect many other yet to be discovered uses as well..., (ponders and scratches head).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's almost my 2nd car too . Mine was an orange Firefly 1100 model, I really miss the simplicity of it. This model will be repainted at some point.

The boards behind the car are all removable, of course, and there is a rear entrance that you can't see.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It's almost my 2nd car too . Mine was an orange Firefly 1100 model, I really miss the simplicity of it. This model will be repainted at some point.

The boards behind the car are all removable, of course, and there is a rear entrance that you can't see.

PAW 537X, also an 1100 in Sierra Red. Strange how I can remember that detail but forget what I went into the kitchen for.... 🤔

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

My first car was a 1.1L in that colour too.  I ran it for three years and sold it for £50 more than I paid for it.  Music via a portable radio cassette player either on the passenger seat or passenger footwell depending upon how hard I had to brake.  My brother had a motorbike at the same time which had a larger engine.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Very neat build Stu. Is it for stock display/photography?

Thanks Mikkel.

It's for displaying various SMS detailing kits, such as shelving, tool cupboards and movable access steps.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Big day tomorrow as I move into my own workshop, in a shared artist/business building in Truro.

Whilst it's not the largest of spaces, I'll have room for three work areas (modelling, painting, computing), lots of shelving for materials and a space for at least one 9ft layout.

Would love to see anyone who is passing by and wants to pop in.

Studio F9

The Old Bakery

Blewetts Wharf

Truro

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5