Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Gold

My modelling "Mojo" (or whatever it is) seems to come and go. I could never do it for a living!

Trying to persevere with a model when I'm not "in the groove" is asking for trouble as I just mess things up and am likely to injure myself into the bargain.

I've learned to give in gracefully and find other things to do for a few days, until the muse alights on my shoulder once again.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I found the same thing with photography. I enjoyed it as a hobby, studied it at Uni and then maintained it as an interest. When I had to do it for work it lost the enjoyment factor and eventually I stopped doing it. Only in the past 15 years have I got back to enjoying it, but only when the mood takes me.

Modeling is similar. Having a garden railway there are many facets - civil engineering, gardening, building locos and stock, creating landscape and buildings - so there's always something different. However, sometimes I just go off the whole idea, possibly for months. Then the spirit takes me again......

Edited by Martino

• RMweb Gold

Attempting to model, or operate, when you are not in the head place is not a good idea, and can result in disaster.  Today I am in the head place, and once I've done my shopping and housework will be cracking on with the scenic break bridge(s).  The bridge project (see Layout Topics) is a great source of positivity, perhaps because the order in which things are being done, with the ground being prepared, the abutments and wings put in, the plate girders built up and laid across, with today's work being the basic road deck, finishing off, and fitting in place on the layout, is not unlike that of building a real bridge.  It isn't the Forth Bridge or the Golden Gate, but I am finding it very satisfying and life affirming.

The other thing is - many, perhaps most, of us are not single-minded.

I have a friend who has spent about 25 years building a P4 layout. It's pretty much magnificent now, and has a large stud of locos, nearly all of which are hand built. However, this friend has no TV, makes only rare use of a computer - something that has only recently entered his life - and model railways are definitely his number 1 interest.

I have a scatter gun approach to life. I am constantly finding new diversions, not all of which are railway related. Even my railway interests are not as narrow as might appear to some on here - in fact I've just this very day sent off to join another line society, a pre-group railway I am very fond of, which has no connection with my first and main love, the GC. We only have so much mental energy - mine is at an all time low. Sometimes it's as much as I can do (once the necessary chores of life are dealt with) to sit and read a book. (Unfortunately the proportion of books worth reading as a percentage of books published seems to be falling, so even that can end in frustration.) So objectively, it is no wonder that progress on the layout is relatively slow.

• Like 3

I'm self-employed and have an on going nasty medical condition (+ side-effects to manage). I work from home as I have to. My income and thus stress levels are a roller coster ride. When I'm too life stressed making models seems a pointless thing to do and I lapse into Black Dog. Right now I've totally given up my military modelling and have zero desire to ever go back to it and am happier pottering in the garden.

I get very tired (possibly due to prescription drugs) and have found that drinking a lot of water helps raise my energy levels. I try to drink at least 1.5L a day. Worth a try.

Although it is tipping down with rain as I write, having a walk helps lift my mood and in summer months I try not to give myself a hard time if I don't do any modelling, as I'd rather be outside.

I read RMWeb daily and since I'm not really actively railway modelling but more collecting and researching I find it a very relaxing place to be. My military modelling forum time seemed to focus on workbench type topics. I work slowly so can't compete with folks who are productive and that in turn can lead to more Black Dog Days. I'm also thinking that I have devoted an awful lot of my life time to that hobby and as I've just hit 50 I should perhaps focus on other things that I have always wanted to do, one of these being to create a model railway.

• RMweb Gold

Black Dog is a more or less impossible thing to work around or work with, Anglian, as I'm sure you know only too well.  My coping method is to accept it, let it wash over, keep my head down, and wait for it to pass, which it does eventually, but it is impossible to describe to anyone who has not had the experience exactly how debilitating it is.  I find myself giving myself a hard time if I have set targets and failed to meet them; the answer is to not set targets.

My advice, FWIW, is to not give yourself a hard time about anything unless it is beyond disputably your fault; once you apply that filter it rapidly becomes clear that very little is actually your fault and quite a lot is what other people would prefer to blame you for.  Failing to do modelling or any other task you've set yourself because you have gone for a walk to deal with the fact that you are ill is most definitely NOT your fault, it is something that has happened to you that you cannot control; don't beat yourself up about it, mate, and certainly don't deny yourself the therapy of walking if it is an effective coping strategy for you, which it clearly is.

Don't beat yourself up if you can't compete with folks who are more productive either.  Your priority has to be number 1, yourself, and achieving the best mental well being you can in whatever circumstances you find yourself in; let others be more productive, you have different priorities.

Stress is a tougher nut to crack, especially if it is income related.  You may ultimately find a lower but steadier income level that provides less stress to be a better overall coping strategy, but of course the bills have to be paid first.  Don't be afraid to admit needing help and seeking it if you feel things are getting beyond your control; I did, and have benefitted greatly from the help I have had.

I waited a quarter of a century before I felt I was in both a stable enough environment and the right head place to start modelling again, but am very glad I did, glad that I waited til the time was right for me and glad that I made the first step from which the others have followed.  If one of the things you've always wanted to do is build a model railway, then build one, but wait until you feel confident that you are ready to undertake it; that time may not be yet or for a while.  In the meantime, keep in touch with things on the forum, and make plans.  I must have made hundreds, and rejected them all for one reason or another, and then in the end set off with no detailed plan at all, just a general idea of what I wanted and some turnouts and a couple of skip raided Ikea shelves.  It's worked out reasonably well!

Good luck and all the best, nil illigitami carborundum!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

I'm in no doubt my 'ups' and my 'downs' have been inherited from two generations before me - and what is much worse - have been handed down by me through two generations to at least one of the grandchildren.

The 'downs' of poor self-esteem, worthlessness and depression seem to be lingering longer now during my eightieth year.

It is  abundantly clear that every three months or so sees me with less capability to address the always present 'to do list'.

Wife, who is only a year behind me, has come up with quite an effective exercise: Over a glass of wine she makes me turn the 'to do list' over and (with a bit of prompting) write down on the back the tasks we've actually achieved.

From that we can decide on our highest priority that seems 'do-able' ... then reward ourselves with another small glass.

... repeat as necessary.

I do recommend this as briefly spirit lifting.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes you need a jolt. I've had a layout in the garage with track laid (but little scenery) for about 18 months.

Last winter I decided to have a go at a backscene and it was a disaster which rather dented my mojo. It didn't stop me buying bargains and 'must have' items for the layout area/era....

A few weeks back, I picked up a 2nd hand SLW Class 24 D5000 which I'd wanted. It turned out the lady selling was selling her father's estate of slides, books, railwayana and model locos.  The locos had all been in a cupboard waiting for that never-to-be layout.  It seemed to be the jolt I needed.  Lately, I've remotored 3 Lima DMU's which have been hanging around for ages awaiting attention (and sort of improved my bodging skills into the bargain).  I've also weathered and tarted up a couple of Bachmann Mk1 suburbans and a couple of GWR Panniers. I'm lucky that I have a layout where things run pretty well so I ought to keep on enjoying it while I can.

The weathering is something I got the hang of a few years back so not new skills but at least keeps my hand in, doing something.

So I guess what I'd say is 'if you can't develop new skills at least fall back onto what you're comfortable with and do some more of the same'.

• Like 5

Some very cogent thoughts on the mental approach to modelling and general creativity here. For my part, I've worked creatively for a living for most of my life and I've tried to self analyse my mental approach and outlook towards various tasks and processes I have to undertake daily. This introspection has led me to a few conclusions which I now use when planning and executing my work. There's no call here to elaborate fully beyond to say that an unhurried and patient mind set combined with being able to tolerate mistakes without loss of impetus tempered with confidence in the eventual success of an endeavour has  served me well. I also had the benefit of working for an consummate expert in my field for many years who passed on, more than anything else, a quiet and workmanlike approach, I often find my self saying out loud "what would Ronnie do here" 

Best

Guy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you are prone to bouts of depression, with it's associated ennui, self loathing, and self-fullfilling prophecy of uselessness, it is, IMHO, important to take on projects that you can realistically achieve and feel good about having achieved (this is not necessarily the same as taking on easy projects and feather bedding).  In consequence, when I started the layout, I consciously and deliberately planned it to be small enough to fit in the available space, easy enough to construct within my limited skillsets, simple to wire, reliable in operation, and cheap.  I have largely achieved those aims with the exception of the last one with regard to stock (what a surprise), and am very satisfied both with the results and myself!.  It is not yet finished, but we are on the home straight in terms of the basic form of the model.  

I have set myself bite sized chunks of tasks to complete as projects, a common coping strategy of proven and known effectiveness, and the momentum has kept itself going from it's own internal resources (it that makes sense) fairly well, despite periods of utter despair in which nothing has happened for weeks at a time (not utter despair with the model, just utter despair).  I have a proven track record of past failures to complete things or see them through, which of course feeds into the self fulfilling prophesy of uselessness side of my self esteem or rather lack of it, and was determined not to let an unfinished layout cluttering my bedroom be a constant reminder of how hopeless I am.  And it has even led me on a few rare occasions to believe that, actually, I might not really be all that hopeless after all!  More to the point, it is even starting to convince my subconscious...

Guy's point about an unhurried and patient mindset, tolerant of mistakes (especially your own) is very important here; take it steadily, think about it first, and proceed to a plan by all means but dump the plan and wing it if that is what gets the problem solved; that way you can both feel satisfied about the plan if it has worked and satisfied about your adaptability and genius if it hasn't, all good positivity.

I would make the following points to anyone in this sort of situation starting out on a layout in the hope that it will be therapeutic. It will, hugely, but it will not be an answer to all or even most of your issues, nor will it lift your mood when your mood is too low to be lifted.  Keep it small, achievable, and simple, and you will be rewarded with a layout that is reliable and satisfying to operate and which will start returning these benefits sooner than you thought!  As the layout nears a state of 'completion' in it's basic form, other projects can be undertaken; of course, there is always more stock you can buy, or build, or improve, or repaint, but I am looking forward to a future of buildings upgrades, better scenery, maybe a lever frame, the lighting rig, and, of course, always, more and more finer and finer detail; this should keep me going for years yet!

Keeping it small will enable you to keep it in the living space of your home.  This is not only good for the model, because it lives in a more or less constant temperature and humidity, but good for you because you can access it easily; this is vital when you are finding motivation difficult, the shed's at the bottom of the garden, and it's raining!  If you can't get out of bed, then it won't help much and nothing will, but there are a good few intermediate levels of depression and motivation issues where it can and will help, even if it's only half an hour's shunting in your underpants at 3am (not a euphemism, which is a pity because it'd be a rather good one)...

Keeping it achievable will mean that you will be able to get something up and running in a sensible time, then something up and running with scenery, then something up and running with scenery and signals, and so on stage by stage in bite sized chunks that will sustain your enthusiasm and keep the pace.  This is important when you have to fit what you can realistically achieve, when you can achieve it, into the uncertain periods between your black dogs.  And. like climbing a mountain and stopping to look at the view while you catch your breath, a view that gets better each time, it constantly reminds you what you have already achieved, and, trust me, the more you can be constantly reminded of this the better!

Keeping it simple will reward you with reliable running and good operation.  This is constantly satisfying and gratifying in and of itself, and will enhance your mood if it can be enhanced. And if things do go wrong, it will be a relatively easy matter to find out where they have gone wrong and sort it.  A layout that doesn't work properly is depressing and mood lowering in itself, just out of frustration, even for norms, and we are not norms, we are vulnerable to mood lowering events.  A simple layout that works is much better than Clapham Junction with all the bells and whistles to go wrong and upset you!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually Vitamin B12 is depleted by certain malabsorbtion conditions of the gut and is also lacking in much processed food. We are also lacking Vit D these day as we take care of our skin during sunny weather. Deficiency of Vit B12, Vit D, Magnesium and Seratonin are responsible for much of the Depressive and Anxiety conditions that we have.

Phil

Sppokily I just heard on R4 this week (Infinite Monkey cage was it?) some brief discussion about mental/brain health and how the lack of Seratonin in the gut is a really bad thing for normal brain function. In facgt i think it was Brian Cox quipped that mayeb we ahva a little brain in the gut! Not so bad a though from a Physics bod when that is what the old Chinese /Buddist types thought was how it was!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you are prone to bouts of depression, with it's associated ennui, self loathing, and self-fullfilling prophecy of uselessness, it is, IMHO, important to take on projects that you can realistically achieve and feel good about having achieved (this is not necessarily the same as taking on easy projects and feather bedding).  In consequence, when I started the layout, I consciously and deliberately planned it to be small enough to fit in the available space, easy enough to construct within my limited skillsets, simple to wire, reliable in operation, and cheap.  I have largely achieved those aims with the exception of the last one with regard to stock (what a surprise), and am very satisfied both with the results and myself!.  It is not yet finished, but we are on the home straight in terms of the basic form of the model.  

I have set myself bite sized chunks of tasks to complete as projects, a common coping strategy of proven and known effectiveness, and the momentum has kept itself going from it's own internal resources (it that makes sense) fairly well, despite periods of utter despair in which nothing has happened for weeks at a time (not utter despair with the model, just utter despair).  I have a proven track record of past failures to complete things or see them through, which of course feeds into the self fulfilling prophesy of uselessness side of my self esteem or rather lack of it, and was determined not to let an unfinished layout cluttering my bedroom be a constant reminder of how hopeless I am.  And it has even led me on a few rare occasions to believe that, actually, I might not really be all that hopeless after all!  More to the point, it is even starting to convince my subconscious...

Guy's point about an unhurried and patient mindset, tolerant of mistakes (especially your own) is very important here; take it steadily, think about it first, and proceed to a plan by all means but dump the plan and wing it if that is what gets the problem solved; that way you can both feel satisfied about the plan if it has worked and satisfied about your adaptability and genius if it hasn't, all good positivity.

I would make the following points to anyone in this sort of situation starting out on a layout in the hope that it will be therapeutic. It will, hugely, but it will not be an answer to all or even most of your issues, nor will it lift your mood when your mood is too low to be lifted.  Keep it small, achievable, and simple, and you will be rewarded with a layout that is reliable and satisfying to operate and which will start returning these benefits sooner than you thought!  As the layout nears a state of 'completion' in it's basic form, other projects can be undertaken; of course, there is always more stock you can buy, or build, or improve, or repaint, but I am looking forward to a future of buildings upgrades, better scenery, maybe a lever frame, the lighting rig, and, of course, always, more and more finer and finer detail; this should keep me going for years yet!

Keeping it small will enable you to keep it in the living space of your home.  This is not only good for the model, because it lives in a more or less constant temperature and humidity, but good for you because you can access it easily; this is vital when you are finding motivation difficult, the shed's at the bottom of the garden, and it's raining!  If you can't get out of bed, then it won't help much and nothing will, but there are a good few intermediate levels of depression and motivation issues where it can and will help, even if it's only half an hour's shunting in your underpants at 3am (not a euphemism, which is a pity because it'd be a rather good one)... :O  :sarcastichand:  :secret: 

Keeping it achievable will mean that you will be able to get something up and running in a sensible time, then something up and running with scenery, then something up and running with scenery and signals, and so on stage by stage in bite sized chunks that will sustain your enthusiasm and keep the pace.  This is important when you have to fit what you can realistically achieve, when you can achieve it, into the uncertain periods between your black dogs.  And. like climbing a mountain and stopping to look at the view while you catch your breath, a view that gets better each time, it constantly reminds you what you have already achieved, and, trust me, the more you can be constantly reminded of this the better!

Keeping it simple will reward you with reliable running and good operation.  This is constantly satisfying and gratifying in and of itself, and will enhance your mood if it can be enhanced. And if things do go wrong, it will be a relatively easy matter to find out where they have gone wrong and sort it.  A layout that doesn't work properly is depressing and mood lowering in itself, just out of frustration, even for norms, and we are not norms, we are vulnerable to mood lowering events.  A simple layout that works is much better than Clapham Junction with all the bells and whistles to go wrong and upset you!

Excellent comments and I believe that the 'buzz words' for this sort of approach is, " Eating the Elephant!"

Phil

I'm still on the ups and downs at the moment. I've got a holiday booked for next month that should help get my headspace back to normality, if not give me some mental relief from the day to day. I'm finding a lot of my free time at the moment is for me to 'play trains' and I'm enjoying the fun of it.

• Like 7

Sppokily I just heard on R4 this week (Infinite Monkey cage was it?) some brief discussion about mental/brain health and how the lack of Seratonin in the gut is a really bad thing for normal brain function. In facgt i think it was Brian Cox quipped that mayeb we ahva a little brain in the gut! Not so bad a though from a Physics bod when that is what the old Chinese /Buddist types thought was how it was!

Phil

I read somewhere, a couple of years ago, that several organs have some brain cells in their structure, the heart in particular. Maybe that's where expressions like "gut feeling" actually come from. Depression so often delivers discomfort to many parts of the body, it is felt by the whole being, not just in the head. It can be physically debilitating as well as emotionally. Psycho-somatic is real, not just in the mind.

Good Health!! 

• RMweb Gold

Exactly; a psychosomatic pain hurts as much as a real one does.

But depression is not a psychosomatic illness; it, and it's debilitating physical and mental symptoms are all too real, as endochrinal imbalances physically affect your responses and reactions to outside stimuli and input.  

But the presence of brain type cells in other organs certainly explains why I fancy often completely unsuitable women...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Keeping it small will enable you to keep it in the living space of your home.  This is not only good for the model, because it lives in a more or less constant temperature and humidity, but good for you because you can access it easily; this is vital when you are finding motivation difficult, the shed's at the bottom of the garden, and it's raining!  If you can't get out of bed, then it won't help much and nothing will, but there are a good few intermediate levels of depression and motivation issues where it can and will help, even if it's only half an hour's shunting in your underpants at 3am (not a euphemism, which is a pity because it'd be a rather good one)...

Having suffered from Black Dog, and also work related stress leading to depression, and all sorts of complications, I found getting small tasks done, particularly those which took no or littlle brain power wrere a stepn forward on the way out.

"Thumb in bum, brain in neutral" tasks, is how I looked at them.

Grass cutting was one. Apart from actually getting started ( the hardest part) looking back over the grass when about half way through gave a certain feeling of satisfaction. And when finished, a look over my shoulder as I put the mower away, and that seemed a job well done. OK, the edges needed attention, and the weeds here asnd there jarred a bit, but the main job was done. It took a long time, but gradually, I got my self back on an even keel. It took medication, time off work, and gentle return back to it, but, like others, I got there.

The hardest part is realising that you have  a problem. It took medical intervention in my case, which onlyy came about affter I collapsed in a heap at work, and was put to bed. The shakes followed, fever and other physical symptoms. When I was diagnosed, I was sceptical in the extreme, ready to throw myself back into 16 hour days, 7 day weeks, but when faced with it, could not cope.

I have had opther (minor) episodes since then, but have learnt to recognise them.

18 months ago, I got a proper job, with reasonable hours, weekends off, and have not looked back.

My modelling has come on in leaps and bounds (and setbacks) and Paisley St James first incarnation has just been consigned to the bin, but the relaxation that I am getting from it, and the satisfaction, is making it alll worth while.

Small, acheivable tasks, preferably with instant visible results are a great help.

They are not a cure, but they help.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

I have been lurking on the thread and have picked up on some interesting thoughts and actions from it thanks guys. For me I know when things are bad that I can't even be bothered to come on here as an example as I think all my efforts are a waste of time and that most things in life are generally pointless. However in the last couple of years through being introduced to CBT I am starting to be able to spot triggers and try to do something about it even if that is to accept the current state and to know it will pass at some point. This hobby has been one constant strand through my life and although at times I think due to inactivity to pack it all in but somehow I keep coming back and even if I am just browsing on here I feel that is keeping the thread going as I always seem to have a reason for that inactivity. Anyway enough of me I need to do some noodling on an idea I have for a challenge layout. :)

Best to all black dog sufferers and beaters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, the mojo is back a bit but I feel like grey clouds are still following me. Its becoming more of a struggle these days to get stuck in. Anyone who's seen my O gauge thread will see that I can still knock out a kit, but I don't know to what end. My Mamod Telford has also been laid up in dock with a broken steam pipe and that's also put me on a downer too :(

Week away in Scotland and a trip on the Jacobite should hopefully perk me up sufficiently :)

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, the mojo is back a bit but I feel like grey clouds are still following me. Its becoming more of a struggle these days to get stuck in. Anyone who's seen my O gauge thread will see that I can still knock out a kit, but I don't know to what end. My Mamod Telford has also been laid up in dock with a broken steam pipe and that's also put me on a downer too :(

Week away in Scotland and a trip on the Jacobite should hopefully perk me up sufficiently :)

Go for it 'gunner'. Week away is what helped me so much earlier in the year. Took a bit of chemical support to go and do it and get there, however I have been far better for it.

All the best mate.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

What a splendid post, Johners.

Just about sums it up.

Rob.

I recovered my Mojo about 2 days a go. Thing is the boards I set up are buried in my loft behind hundred of boxes after the boss was made unexpectedly homeless. And by the time we sort through all her stuff I probably will have another crash that will set me back weeks.

Big james

• RMweb Premium

I recovered my Mojo about 2 days a go. Thing is the boards I set up are buried in my loft behind hundred of boxes after the boss was made unexpectedly homeless. And by the time we sort through all her stuff I probably will have another crash that will set me back weeks.

Big james

BJ you may well find the sorting is quite theraputic in a strange sort of way, especially if you need to put stuff in 'order' and groups.

All the best and treat your digging for the boards as a treasure hunt.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Big james

Small steps, BJ.

Try the following to set tasks.

S Specific What are you trying to do.

M Measurable How will you know when you have done it.

A Achievable Can you do it?

R Realistic Are you expecting too much.

T Timed Set realistic deadline.

Once done, set new task.

It works.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Small steps, BJ.

Try the following to set tasks.

S Specific What are you trying to do.

M Measurable How will you know when you have done it.

A Achievable Can you do it?

R Realistic Are you expecting too much.

T Timed Set realistic deadline.

Once done, set new task.

It works.

Rob.

Well said Rob. I'd forgotten the SMART working method. Must be because I've been retired for so long, however it is a great way to approach any challenge.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022