A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

The simplest way to sort i have found is to open in photos, got to edit and apply a minor crop, it will now always appear the right way up.

Absolutely love the layout, it really is one of the stand out concepts in the competition and one I can’t wait to see finished

I was laying track this afternoon while the children slept, and my darling wife watched me threading chairs onto rail. She commented ‘is that as boring as it looks? I mean I know you like doing this but really...’

Not boring at all, just plonk it down and run trains!

post-21098-0-64810100-1526150729.jpg

Brian.

• Like 3

The simplest way to sort i have found is to open in photos, got to edit and apply a minor crop, it will now always appear the right way up.

Absolutely love the layout, it really is one of the stand out concepts in the competition and one I can’t wait to see finished

Dear Rich,

Thanks for the kind words. If I get in finished in time for the competition it will be a miracle! Illness and an expanded family have stopped all modelling since Easter.

I was inspired by an old photo of Par harbour where the wharf and sidings were viewed through the rigging of various sailing vessels. I wouldn’t have been able to get this far without the help of a couple of good friends at SHMRC who made gauges for the project (you can’t get EM standard for BG or mixed gauge). Also Kipford if this parish volunteered to cad the drawings for a large square rigged brig. But I’ll still have to build the thing!!!

Motive power is the big headache at the moment. The BGS journal has just published an excellent article on how to convert an Alan Gibson Buffalo tank to BG - but Colin at Alan Gibson hasn’t any kits at the moment (I believe). I am trying to get the info together for a 3521 0-4-4t but I’m missing the front elevation drawing - I was planning to try a 3d print of the boiler/footplate with a brass cab/bunker, but no drawing ....

Regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Dear Rich,

Thanks for the kind words. If I get in finished in time for the competition it will be a miracle! Illness and an expanded family have stopped all modelling since Easter.

I was inspired by an old photo of Par harbour where the wharf and sidings were viewed through the rigging of various sailing vessels. I wouldn’t have been able to get this far without the help of a couple of good friends at SHMRC who made gauges for the project (you can’t get EM standard for BG or mixed gauge). Also Kipford if this parish volunteered to cad the drawings for a large square rigged brig. But I’ll still have to build the thing!!!

Motive power is the big headache at the moment. The BGS journal has just published an excellent article on how to convert an Alan Gibson Buffalo tank to BG - but Colin at Alan Gibson hasn’t any kits at the moment (I believe). I am trying to get the info together for a 3521 0-4-4t but I’m missing the front elevation drawing - I was planning to try a 3d print of the boiler/footplate with a brass cab/bunker, but no drawing ....

Regards

Duncan

Duncan, hope you get more progress soon.

In the hope it helps on the inspiration front, here is a link to a layout built by a fellow member of the British Railway Modellers of Australia:

http://www.brma.org.au/BRMA%20Galleries/British/NSW%20Layout%20-%200029%20-%20Bridport%20South%20Western/index.html

Duncan, hope you get more progress soon.

In the hope it helps on the inspiration front, here is a link to a layout built by a fellow member of the British Railway Modellers of Australia:

http://www.brma.org.au/BRMA%20Galleries/British/NSW%20Layout%20-%200029%20-%20Bridport%20South%20Western/index.html

It’s a lovely layout and excellent idea. I hope it appears in the model railway press.

D

May not be Par or Pentewan, Charlestown is the best thing I can come up with for fully rigged sailing ships;  maybe of some use?

attachicon.gifscangirls 045.jpg

Brian.

Thanks. Yes, I’ve made much use of images from Charlestown to fix in my mind what the final look of the layout will be.

D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

Not much visible progress in the last month - new born twins and an unfortunate event with a table saw have eaten up much modelling time! However, work on the hidden bits of the baseboards continues...

For anyone who would like a peek at Nampara - or at least the track so far - I should be demonstrating how I’m building it at the GWSG members day in Didcot on Saturday 9 June. The event is open to non members and the details are:

Didcot Civic Hall

Britwell Rd

Didcot

OX11 7JN

Open 1100 - 1530.

Hope to see some if you there!

Regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Dear all,

Not much visible progress in the last month - new born twins and an unfortunate event with a table saw have eaten up much modelling time! However, work on the hidden bits of the baseboards continues...

For anyone who would like a peek at Nampara - or at least the track so far - I should be demonstrating how I’m building it at the GWSG members day in Didcot on Saturday 9 June. The event is open to non members and the details are:

Didcot Civic Hall

Britwell Rd

Didcot

OX11 7JN

Open 1100 - 1530.

Hope to see some if you there!

Regards

Duncan

I do hope there's no connection between the twins and the table saw incident...

This evening (while my wife took the screaming twins out in their pram) I managed to get some work done on the stock boxes for Nampara.

There are two boxes which form an integral part of the fiddle yard. A small one for broad gauge stock which will sit along the end of the FY and a longer 36” one for standard gauge stock that fits along the FY rear.

Each box will be able to hold 4 tiers of cassettes. Below is the small one with the last shelf being glued in place.

post-21453-0-11576100-1528746703_thumb.jpeg

The lids will be held in place with split hinges along the bottom and over centre catches at the top and sides. The spilt hinges will also be used as the fixing points for the boxes on the FY.

And again my iPhone is resisting all attempts to get the photo the right way up!

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Stock boxes on side and end of fiddle yard, That is so West cliff! By the way as we have not seen you at club for obvious reasons and it appears tool abuse, congrats on the twins safe arrival, you now have a full operating team for Nampara.

PS Matt also had a little engine driver arive Monday morning. A new Thomas layout becons, plus a 5" gauge version of the Shunting engine!

PPS If you fancy a day out with Brighton next month let me know?

Congratulations to Matt! You might have to set up a production line if 5 inch gauge shunting engines in due course!

As for the FY, well a good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from! What date in July for playing trains?

D

Right, despite a holiday I’ve been thinking about buildings. This (or something like it) is going to be Nampara house:

post-21453-0-56378700-1529429803_thumb.jpeg

The plan will be for it to be 2mm scale to force the perspective and be seen through a 4mm hedge and wind twisted shrubs.

I’ve no idea of the houses dimensions, but I’ll assume a floor to ceiling height of about 8 feet. As to room sizes probably I’ll make the whole thing a scale 50 ft. Mullioned windows, etched brass lattice panes (if i can get any)low back door etc. I’m considering trying out the scalescenes stonework. Hopefully it will make the build a bit quicker.

• Like 1

Right, despite a holiday I’ve been thinking about buildings. This (or something like it) is going to be Nampara house:

attachicon.gif54C43454-9D83-4734-AEBC-5ECC01D6BA32.jpeg

The plan will be for it to be 2mm scale to force the perspective and be seen through a 4mm hedge and wind twisted shrubs.

I’ve no idea of the houses dimensions, but I’ll assume a floor to ceiling height of about 8 feet. As to room sizes probably I’ll make the whole thing a scale 50 ft. Mullioned windows, etched brass lattice panes (if i can get any)low back door etc. I’m considering trying out the scalescenes stonework. Hopefully it will make the build a bit quicker.

Can you find this house on Google Earth? If you can, and if you're using Google Earth, not Google Maps, there's a useful ruler tool. It's not super accurate, but it will give you rough dimensions.

Managed to snatch another hour this afternoon and continued working in the diamond crossing.

post-21453-0-32795800-1529772865_thumb.jpeg

post-21453-0-71330800-1529772961_thumb.jpeg

The Nampara work board also had a visitor today:

post-21453-0-81792500-1529773011_thumb.jpeg

The owner of this visiting loco was very interested in the work and extremely anxious to see progress made!

post-21453-0-10837800-1529773103_thumb.jpeg

DrDuncan

• Like 2